Author Topic: May, 1983: Where were you?  (Read 13080 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: May, 1983: Where were you?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 07:24:22 am »
May 1983, I was 18 months old and potty training!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 08:24:52 am »
May 1983 was a very happy time for me. I was 15. I was in so-called "Landschulheim": your whole school class goes on vacation together, with your main teacher and a second teacher of the opposite gender. Usually the lodging is hostle-like. Four, six or even eight pupils share one room with bunk beds (and that's part of the fun  :)).
The teachers try their best to keep males and females apart from another during the nights, but the kids will always find a way to sneak in  ;D.
We were in the Dolomites, a part of the Alps and our teachers had us hiking or visiting museums for hours and hours. Also part of the fun was to escape from their surveillance and sit in a pub instead of a museum  ;D.
The boy I had been crazy about for months and I finally came together there in Landschulheim, yay! But boy, he was such an Ennis. Although he was just as crazy for me (as I learned much, much later) he couldn't be free and open about it. He was so inhibited and uptight, the thing between us ended soon later.
And I started smoking up there in the mountains of the Alps ::). Yes, Landschulheim is a Gomorrah - hell for the teachers but heaven for the teenagers  :laugh:.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 10:15:16 am »
May 1983...I was 27 years old, married, and living in Maine. I was getting ready to head to Cleveland, OH for 8 weeks (I left on May 30) to begin doctoral study at Case Western Reserve University.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 11:31:03 am »
I was living in Claremont, California, with my sweetheart and planning to get married in August...for the second time.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 11:48:12 am »
Wow, May of 1983!
I was 16 and this exact weekend (may 5th) was my Prom. I Picked my girlfriend up in my '73 cutlass.
I was a junior in highschool. With the world in front of me.
Oh if I only knew then what I know now!
I worked at Johnsons hardware store after school. The store closed at noon on Wednesdays so everyone could go to Church for Wednesday night prayer meetin.
Boy, life was a lot simpler then for me!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 11:49:36 am »
I was 4 years old and in kindergarten!  The world was my oyster too!  ;D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 03:44:21 pm »
It was one month before my 24th birthday.  I had just left the large East Coast egalitarian commune I'd lived in for three years, and had spent the winter and early spring visiting some of the communes of the Pacific Northwest, learning about ways of living together, and having a high ol' time.  Gorgeousness was mine - if only I had realized it at the time.

In May 1983, I had just settled down at a small farming commune in a very rural isolated part of the Midwest.  Having grown up in the heart of New York City, and having hardly even held a hammer, I was suddenly learning everything new - construction, blacksmithing, farming, gardening, being socially and culturally isolated, living in nature. 

In New York, talking about the weather was synonymous with having nothing to talk about.  On the farm, talking about the weather was talking about what really mattered - what would determine our day, week, season, year.

I learned invaluable amounts there.  Also met and left with the man who would become my first husband, but that didn't happen til 1987.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:42 pm »
May 1983?

Eeek. ...

Age 25, still living in my home town. Not "out" yet, to myself or anybody.  ::) That's about the time a friend and I decided to get an apartment together because we both wanted to get out from under our respective parental roofs.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 06:35:07 pm »
I remember this month like it was yesterday.

I was 20 and I was finishing up college, and I didn't get into the graduate program I was made to think I wanted to go into. So it wasn't the best time.  I ended up going into another one instead that I much later realized wasn't really for me either.  But it was exactly this time that I first discovered and got into all the amazing music that was out then. That did lead to some good times and great friends.

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 08:23:45 pm »
24 years? Way to go, Fritz!!! How long have you and Earl been together total?

This coming November it will be 29 years. Monday after Thanksgiving, 1978, when we realized, after he went to visit his family in New Jersey, that we were crazy about each other. We still are.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."