Author Topic: Secretary et al.  (Read 10197 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Secretary et al.
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:06:10 am »
This thread is (another?) about other movies we've seen since Brokeback in order to stay in the warm glow of its actors.... some of mine:

Secretary (Maggie -- and this could have been a Maggie thread because I study her for Jake, and I see him sometimes.... mostly in smiles....)
Mona Lisa Smile (not proud but it was free and, to show something, uh, drippy about me... I cried four times)
The Good Girl
10 Things I Hate About You

I hereby invite any chat about Maggie, too, and the pursuit of her for glimpses of her brother.

And by the way on crying:
Secretary: cried
Mona: cried
The Good Girl: didn't cry
10 Things: cried

sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: Secretary et al.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:17:57 pm »
I'm surprised you didn't cry at The Good Girl. The scene where she's at the stop light, trying to decide if she's going to live a life with Holden or with her husband, makes me cry every time.
10 Things I Hate About You - cried at the last part when she's reading the poem and Heath looks so ashamed sitting at his desk.

I know I'll probably be chastized for this, but I don't find anything remarkable about Maggie. I've seen her in a couple of things and I think her performances were forgettable.
I like when she and Donnie are fighting at the beginning of Donnie Darko but that's about it.
Go suck a fuck!
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:21:27 pm »
I liked Mona Lisa Smile but I'm also a big Julia fan......

Maggie gave a good performance......and I haven't seen Secretary......good is it?

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:30:50 pm »
Secretary is EXCELLENT..See it! ;D Maggie is amazing and James Spader is perfect.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »
I love The Good Girl... 8)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 01:41:31 pm »
Secretary is EXCELLENT..See it! ;D Maggie is amazing and James Spader is perfect.

I'll check it out...I think I have it...

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:39:45 pm »
10 Things I Hate About You - cried at the last part when she's reading the poem and Heath looks so ashamed sitting at his desk.

Me too! Glad I'm not the only one. I'll add myself to the list of saps around here.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:49:46 pm »
Hmm, Sparkle.  I thought the Good Girl was good, but it didn't touch me -- it was as if separated from me by thick glass.  I recently observed the same thing about Being Julia.  Great performances, good story, sympathetic characters, but it didn't reach me.

I did love that Tim Blake Nelson ran out of his house naked -- any movie with male (but not female) frontal nudity gets points, especially to illustrate something as sophisticated as vulnerability or pathos.

I loved Secretary!!

I thought Maggie was excellent -- fresh, goofy, real.  And in Mona she played someone jaded and sassy, so I don't see her as a one-role-pony.

When I cried in Secretary: the milkshake, or whatever it was, you know, in the cup with the straw.  I get teary just thinking about it.

And yep, when Julia Stiles read the poem, who would not cry?

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:20:38 pm »
Oh, I adore Maggie Gyllenhaal.  I know if we met, we'd be bestest friends ever.

Coming back to reality, I really do think she's extraordinary.  I have a fantasy of her doing a flick set in the twenties, because she's got such a fabulous, flapper-esque look.  She reminds me of a Cecil Beaton photograph, all googly eyes and rosebud mouth.

I have said enough about my infatuation with Ms. Gyllenhaal.  I will shut up now.

Oooooh, but have you seen her in Casa de los Babys?  Amazing!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 04:24:30 pm »
Does anyone get shot in Casa de los Babys?