Author Topic: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?  (Read 18359 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 08:23:14 am »
Well, I burst into tears yesterday while watching the commercial. Not that the ad was that effective, but that thinking about that flight in particular always gets to me. I wasn't sure I wanted to see it dramatized.

So I was on the fence. I thought I'd read a few reviews before deciding. The New Yorker one was glowing. And now, the a recommendation from RT, someone I actually know (sort of) and whose opinon I respect, I'm leaning toward going.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 10:05:17 am »
This is a hard one, but yes, I am going to see this in the theaters.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 10:46:11 am »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5368216  (Audio)

I heard this review on NPR this morning - positive, yet mixed.  I thought it was interesting information about the film-making being focused toward a 'group protagonist' by using unknown actors to blend with the real-life people involved.  It mentions how drama requires well-defined protagonists (Jack and Ennis, for instance) to resonate with an audience.

-Lynne

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 03:20:11 pm »
Can I ask a question?

Was there no a tv mini drama thing on ABC or something that also covered the washington flight?

When i was in Cuba in Feb they had all these american cable channels and I remember watching a chat show that was interviewing all the actors and some relatives of those the actors were playing.. and they were all talking about how great and piognant it was.. I was sure it was for a tv drama/documentary... but I may be wrong.. but it seems a bit early for it to have been the film

If so, what type of reaction did it get?

I am undecided whether I'll see it..but I have till Sept to decide...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

rtprod

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 05:47:56 pm »
The Wall Sreet Journal this morning contains an excellent, insightful review.

Just at FYI. 

rt

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2006, 06:14:48 pm »
Well, I burst into tears yesterday while watching the commercial.

Oh, me too.  How silly is that?  I'm not normally susceptible to the manipulations of 30-second ads in  commercial breaks, but I was just flattened by it.  Not just a lump in the throat, or a quiet sniffle.  I bawled for a good five minutes.  Very therapeutic.  Invest in Kleenex stocks now.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2006, 09:42:37 pm »

Just at FYI. 

rt

I've only heard or read positive reviews myself.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2006, 10:08:20 pm »
Read a review in the local rag this afternoon, which said, no matter ho0w well-made it is, if it's not helping anyione get over the tragedy, why bother to see it?

I don't feel that way. I had nobiody involved, except several people I know in NYC mentioned that the smell of decomposing bodies was a real downer (something that didn't get mentioned in the papers), but I am still going to watch it..

Like theJFK assination, we all know where we were, when it happened...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2006, 12:20:20 am »

Just at FYI. 

rt

I've only heard or read positive reviews myself.

Slate's review isn't all that positive, and I really like the woman who is now their film critic (Dana Stevens). But that don't mean nothin; nobody's infallible.

rtprod

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2006, 12:18:16 pm »
Read the Rotten Tomatoes meter -- it's 93% fresh.

Funny that some reviews would like to focus on whether or not it's "right" to make this film or whether it "adds" anything -- oh, please, let's look at what a terrifically made film it is, and not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  It has just as much right to exist as the Hollywood dreck opening each weekend. 

Many are talking about their personal sensitivity to the subject, but that really has nothing to do with what an expert film this is when it comes to craft, and speaks to scenarios we personally visit on movies, rather than looking objectively at a core statement:

What was the director trying to achieve?  And how well did he achieve it?  

Whether or not we "like" it doesn't always make much difference if we want to be objective.  I might personally think certain modern art is junk but by the definition above, it certainly is my point of view rather than the artist's intention or execution.  My personal opinion doesn't remove its merit.  It's an interesting subject. 

rt
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:23:03 pm by rtprod »