Author Topic: Where is everybody, and other questions...  (Read 4654 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Where is everybody, and other questions...
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:37:37 pm »
I'm writing this as my personal response to the questions that keeps popping up around here, such as: Where is everybody?  What's going on?  Why are the boards so quiet? 

I really think if us as refugees - run off from our beloved home, seeking refuge in a new place.  The CT modified definition of a refugee is:  a person who is outside his/her habitual residence; has a well-founded fear of persecution because of his/her membership in a particular social group and is unable  to avail himself/herself of the protection of that residence, or to return there, for fear of persecution.

We escaped from the troll wars with little more than some institutionalized memories (the CT archives), and a strong sense of community that we wanted to preserve.  While we have settled in a new home, and it is pretty fantastic in every way, with the most gracious hosts imaginable, the new home is different, we are different, and our future as a community is uncertain.

Following the Oscars, things were changing anyway on IMDb/CT, with folks losing interest over time and feeling the call of their 'real' lives.  We just happened to have the troll wars to get us re-energized and cooperative in a very committed way, which brought us together more strongly as a group than we might have ever been otherwise.

And now, we've been here for a few weeks, getting settled in and acclimating ourselves to a new environment.  And the committment to stay together as a community seems by most to be strong.  But we do have the reality of...

• our 'real' lives needing attention
  • spring weather calling us to get out of the house (depending on where we live)
  • getting used to a new forum/format
  • figuring out what we still have to say to each other
  • where to go with the journey BBM created

There's no right answer to what's supposed to happen or how.  We are each finding something we value and want to continue here, or we are moving on, as has been the case all along.  Many friends have come and gone, and there's no doubt that will continue.

We refugees are settling into our new country, learning a new language and culture, working to integrate our own important customs and traditions into our new lives, and waiting to see how it all shakes out.  And I think it's shaking out just as it should. 

Sometimes it'll be busy, and sometimes quiet, and some new friends will come, and some old ones will go, and it'll keep changing and shifting, just like life.

How about you...?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:52:02 pm by yaadpyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
Re: Refugees and the future of Chez Tremblay
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:44:12 pm »
Oh Celeste, as always, very well said. I agree with all of it. I would love to write a better response, but 'real life' (school) is pulling me away right now, and I have to finish some things before work. I look forward to coming back and reading other people's opinions though.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 03:46:31 pm »
I honestly ran out of BBM-related things to say a few months ago....LOL

I get on here mainly for the interaction.....we all share a common interest in where I live its hard to find someone with that interest....so its nice to talk to people...you know? 

I also have some close personal friends on these boards.....so I don't get on as much for BBM as I do for my friends and my family really......as cheesy as it sounds..... ;D

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:52:01 pm »
Wow Celeste, you have just put what I was thinking in writing. But of course what you have written is more organised than all the crap that is in my head.
I love how you have put 'real' life cause it is so true, my life on here is more real than my proper life will ever be. I was writing a "To Do list" today and once I had finished it it had certain things on like: Research quiz questions and send to Celeste, Pack up Jenny's present, Get picture proof of s'alright and Sort out Niagra trip stuff.
When I looked at it I realised that nothing on it had anything to do with my 'real' life and was all to do with things on here. I had also forgotten the most important thing; revising for my tests which start in 2 weeks...oh well the stuff on here is more important.
But I doubt the spring weather will be calling me anytime soon as it is raining at the moment and it is still April, infamous for those wonderful April showers!
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 04:53:50 pm »
All this being said, the boards are hopping actually - quite busy today actually...
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Where is everybody, and other questions...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 05:15:33 pm »
Boards are hopping, fish are jumping.
Just killed me a elk.

Naw, just foolin, Celeste.  I killed and ate

carrots
soy crisps
diet pepsi.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 05:23:29 pm »

Ray and I discussed this over a beer just last Sunday.  Its not that we don't love coming here.. we DO.  Its just when people meet because of a movie and love discussing said movie, its inevitable that we're eventually going to run out of ways to discuss the movie.  We're noticing that now.  This is not a BAD thing, just a natural progression.

At this point, one of two things will happen: a) People will step back and say "that was nice... on with my life".. and move on.  Or b) people will start to pick up on aspects of the other's personalities and decide that the people are worth hanging around for and stay.  Most people may end up drifting between the two or lurking, waiting for a topic they can get their teeth into.  But I think most of us still here, have found people we've "clicked" with and we're getting to know them in different ways... through PM's... through the new chat service...

We're not gone, Celeste.  We're still here.  We still love the movie.  We're just transitioning now... no need to panic.  ;D
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:50:36 pm »
If my interest in endlessly discussing and arguing about this stuff doesn't start to abate soon, I surely will find myself living alone in a run-down trailer, my closet door plastered with stills from the movie. Yes, the board by its nature does have some built-in obsolesence. But I can't quit it yet!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 06:00:35 pm »

We're not gone, Celeste.  We're still here.  We still love the movie.  We're just transitioning now... no need to panic.  ;D

Thanks Sheyne - I'm not the least worried, and I never panic about anything, so no worries.  This was just my input on the questions I keep hearing...

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 06:04:00 pm »
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
 :o :o :o

That's me, pretending to panic, and sounding like a ewe in the process.
 :D

rtprod

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 10:05:21 am »
At this point, one of two things will happen: a) People will step back and say "that was nice... on with my life".. and move on.  Or b) people will start to pick up on aspects of the other's personalities and decide that the people are worth hanging around for and stay.  Most people may end up drifting between the two or lurking, waiting for a topic they can get their teeth into.  But I think most of us still here, have found people we've "clicked" with and we're getting to know them in different ways... through PM's... through the new chat service...

Here, here, Sheyne, I'm with you.  This is exactly the sort of thing that has happened with me, and I'm happy you're one of those people -- we're building relationships here that have gone in unexpected and awesome directions, all started by our beloved movie.

I'm still here.   ;D

rt

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 10:25:48 am »
as I said to jen a few weeks ago...

Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing

we're just going through those stages...

I like this little family and just because I'm not posting every day..(as you say spring time, work, other hobbies, BBM DVD, etc etc, do take over..) it doesn't mean I'm not here either lurking or posting...

*MWA*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 03:39:17 pm »

Very well said Celeste and very true....Real life has been pulling me away from here for the last few days, I've had a lot on my mind....but I do think about all of you on this board constantly....I feel that there are still a lot of things to talk about regarding BBM but I can't right now....

I really feel that a lot of personal connections have been made on these boards and I hope they continue. I hope we can have a 10 year Brokie reunion someday and all of us international folks can attend as well...

Take care all,
lots of love,
reanna  :)
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.