Author Topic: The "You gotta feel sorry for Jack" thread  (Read 11305 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
The "You gotta feel sorry for Jack" thread
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:19:53 pm »
Jamais Ennis sans Jack - gotta even things out by introducing

The "You gotta feel sorry  :( for Jack" thread

You gotta feel sorry  :( for Jack for never having things go his way - not with shooting coyotes, not with getting soup (no more beans, not with Ennis - well not the way he wanted anyways, not with bull riding ($2,000 a year), not with his relationship with his dad "Christ, he licked the stuffin out a me, knocked me down on the bathroom floor, whipped me with his belt... No way to get it right with him after that.", ... well you get the idea.)

:(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:40:38 am by Phillip »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

moremojo

Re: roboy's "You gotta feel sorry for Jack"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 09:00:22 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack when he is rebuffed by Jimbo the rodeo clown. Jack is so vulnerable and naive here, wearing his tender heart on his sleeve as always, and I really feel for him when Jimbo gives him the cold shoulder. I also always worry for his safety when Jimbo goes over to his pool-playing buddies, as if to say to them, "I gotta tell you about this weird guy over at the bar..."--this tense moment foreshadows Jack's possible murder later in the story.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 10:00:00 pm »
You've gotta feel sorry for Jack when his in-laws visit after Bobby is born.  He smiles at Lureen and there's love in his eyes for his child, but he feels excluded from their little circle and is belittled by father-in-law.  Breaks my heart, that.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:52:54 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack as he and Ennis say "goodbye" after they come down from Brokeback.
He tries to get Ennis to commit to return next year, kind of invites him to come up to his daddy's ranch, but fears the best he can hope for is life in the army.

so sad.

TJ

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:01:10 am »
You've gotta feel sorry for Jack when his in-laws visit after Bobby is born.  He smiles at Lureen and there's love in his eyes for his child, but he feels excluded from their little circle and is belittled by father-in-law.  Breaks my heart, that.

What makes it even worse is that Lureen's parents take control when they go into Jack's master bedroom in his house. In the movie, in the hallway is the picture of a horse with two contest ribbons inside the frame.

All of that stuff that happens in Texas with Lureen's parents is not in the original short story.

I feel sorry for the screenplay/movie Jack having to work for a man who hated his guts in the first place. Annie Proulx's Jack never works for the farm and equipment company until after Lureen's (no-name) father dies.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The "You gotta feel sorry for Jack" thread
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 06:13:12 pm »
I gotta feel sorry for Jack when he's first dancing with Lureen and they turn and his face is so sad.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 06:14:53 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 08:49:25 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack when L.D. says to him "You want your boy to grow up to be a man, dontcha?"  But not for long there, thankfully, once he lets him have it.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 01:51:43 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack when Randall starts talking about goin' out to his friend's croppie house on the lake to do a little fishin', drink a little whisky... "Ya know?"...  Jack knows what Randall means, but the look on his face, in his eyes... is all about Ennis, he's thinkin of Ennis even if he does take Randall up on his offer later on out of loneliness.   That look is so sad to me.

Rayn

vkm91941

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 01:55:32 pm »
You've got to feel sorry for Jack, loving Ennis all those years and never having him, settling for second best 3 or 4 times a year....so sad so tragic

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 08:08:49 pm »
Ooooo, so much about Jack's situation breaks my heart.  I feel like watching his hopes get dashed over and over again... and his heart broken (or at least disappointed) is like watching a puppy getting kicked.  The worst has to be his disappointment during the post-divorce fiasco.  Watching the contrast between his pure happiness driving up to Wyoming compared to his heartbreak leaving just kills me.  How could Ennis do that to Jack?  But, Ennis breaks my heart too, but for different reasons.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 01:40:48 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack, because even his last wishes could not be respected. He wanted his ashes scattered on brokeback. I respected Lureen for telling Ennis that he should get in touch with Jack's parents to carry out his wishes. Her life with Jack certainly turned out differently than she thought it would. I think she still felt some affection for Jack. And Ennis sure tried to 'do right by Jack'. If only John Twist didn't hate his son so much.
Even in death, Jack could not get what he wished for  :(
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 09:09:20 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack, because even his last wishes could not be respected. He wanted his ashes scattered on brokeback. I respected Lureen for telling Ennis that he should get in touch with Jack's parents to carry out his wishes. Her life with Jack certainly turned out differently than she thought it would. I think she still felt some affection for Jack. And Ennis sure tried to 'do right by Jack'. If only John Twist didn't hate his son so much.
Even in death, Jack could not get what he wished for  :(

I agree... all the good points you made are definitely sad.  It is horrifying that Jack's own Dad won't let his final explicit wishes be carried out.
 :(

But it goes even further. It's only "in death," Jack finally was able to communicate the depths of his love to Ennis (they' re the signals that open Ennis's eyes permanently and completely to what his situation really has been for 20 years), and it's only "in death" Jack finally got the commitment from Ennis that he wanted and deserved (the "Jack, I swear..." moment). Oh, that all of this had to come too late!  All that Ennis does for him following his death would have stunned a living Jack.  I mean, Jack couldn't drag Ennis kicking and screaming up to Lightning Flat while he was alive... but once he's dead, Ennis is anxious and determined to go on his own.

So, it's only in death that Jack truly gets what he wished for.  All of which is sad and tragic on an epic level.
 :'( :'( :'(

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 12:52:15 am »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack when he tells Ennis, "You have no idea how bad it gets".
Jack is always putting on a smile, or laughing, or taking care of Ennis. We only see him cry once in the entire movie, I think.

The worst has to be his disappointment during the post-divorce fiasco.  Watching the contrast between his pure happiness driving up to Wyoming compared to his heartbreak leaving just kills me.  How could  Ennis do that to Jack?  But, Ennis breaks my heart too, but for different reasons.
I think that part, for me, is where the dam breaks and I don't have a dry eye for the rest of the movie. That part is where Jack really dies.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

moremojo

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 03:55:38 pm »
We only see him cry once in the entire movie, I think.
I think you're right that we see Jack weep only once in the film, namely, immediately after he is rebuffed by Ennis after redlining it to Wyoming after Ennis's divorce. But one can discern tears welling up in Jack's eyes in at least two other moments in the film: the first is when Jack watches Ennis in his rear-view mirror when he is driving out of Signal, and the other is when Jack states, when sitting with Ennis at what turns out to be their last rendezvous, that "sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it." For that matter, I think there might be tears of bitterness and anger in Jack's eyes when Ennis threatens him during the lakeside quarrely shortly after. These are subtle moments, and exemplify the extraordinary finesse and skill of Jake's performance. 

Offline David

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 10:14:58 pm »
For that matter, I think there might be tears of bitterness and anger in Jack's eyes when Ennis threatens him during the lakeside quarrely shortly after. . 

All those unsaid things.....that hurt    :'(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 10:27:57 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 01:45:12 am »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack for waiting 20 years for Ennis and didn't get him at the end.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 04:17:37 pm »
In fact, your heart has to break for Jack most of the time..except during that first summer.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 04:22:39 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

moremojo

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 05:22:48 pm »
All that Ennis does for him following his death would have stunned a living Jack.  I mean, Jack couldn't drag Ennis kicking and screaming up to Lightning Flat while he was alive... but once he's dead, Ennis is anxious and determined to go on his own.
For all my love for these two characters, this is another aspect of their relations that puzzles me. When you are in love with someone, it makes sense that you would want to know everything about your beloved, including everything about their past, their childhood, and all the myriad factors that helped make them who they were when you met them. I could imagine being in Jack's place, for example, and taking a trip down to Sage simply to get a better idea of what shaped my soul-mate's being. Yet there is no evidence of such an impulse on Jack's part, and, as you say, it is only in Jack's death that Ennis exhibits curiosity about Lightning Flat. Perhaps the implication is that, in life, the two men took each other for granted; it was death that revealed the true depths of feeling to Ennis's conscious mind.

Quite sad, indeed.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 05:46:18 pm »
In fact, your heart has to break for Jack most of the time..except during that first summer.

You're right!  My heart breaks for Jack almost all the time and near the end, for Ennis also.

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 09:38:12 pm »
I gotta feel sorry for Jack, driving 1200 miles for nothing after Ennis' divorce.

most people will quit when they are turned down that way.

most people will quit and open themselves new pages.

but not our jack.

he stays.

he endures.

he longs.

so little he can say but so much he has done.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 09:43:32 pm »
For all my love for these two characters, this is another aspect of their relations that puzzles me. When you are in love with someone, it makes sense that you would want to know everything about your beloved, including everything about their past, their childhood, and all the myriad factors that helped make them who they were when you met them. I could imagine being in Jack's place, for example, and taking a trip down to Sage simply to get a better idea of what shaped my soul-mate's being. Yet there is no evidence of such an impulse on Jack's part, and, as you say, it is only in Jack's death that Ennis exhibits curiosity about Lightning Flat. Perhaps the implication is that, in life, the two men took each other for granted; it was death that revealed the true depths of feeling to Ennis's conscious mind.

Quite sad, indeed.

Moremojo,

to me it's not "quite sad"...it's devastating!! :'(

anything related to death scared me to death. My Grand dad passed away exactly 3 years ago today, and i learnt hard deal from that. when your loved one dies, there is no second chance. it is stopped. final closure. that's it. a situation where no efforts can bring them back, no matter how open your mind is now.

well, i going everywhere with this.

Sorry.

Ye-haww!!

moremojo

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 12:19:40 am »

Sorry.
No apologies needed, Noviani. Thanks for sharing; this is a place where you are perfectly free and safe to do so.

Death can indeed be devastating for those left behind. I think time can be a great healer, but everyone heals at a different pace, and for some, no amount of time seems to be enough. Perhaps we can take some comfort in knowing that loss is a universal experience, that everyone can relate to in some degree, and that can create bonds among the living, dealing with our common grief.

There can be profound beauty and honor in death, both in facing our own and in accepting that of those dear to us. I take some comfort in this thought.

Sincerely,
Scott

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 02:46:56 am »
Hi Scott,

i think that is one strongest reason why i found BBM is haunting for me. Because of Jack's death, their relation froze and nothing was resolved.

when there is no closure to a story/ movie like this... it tags you along for a very... very ... long time.

Novi

Ye-haww!!

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 05:46:37 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack when Ennis punches him. Jack only made his nose bleed by accident and then is really apologetic, but Ennis still punches him and Jack curls up and looks all sorry for himself as he watched Ennis storm off. Poor Jack  :(
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 09:52:55 pm »
Awww, I haven't visited this thread for a while.  I feel more and more sorry for Jack everytime I watch the movie.  What I've learned after all these months is that the frustration level at their situation and the sadness only gets worse as time goes on!   :'(   The thing that makes me sad at the moment is the idea of lost potential. 

Anyway, I'm mainly here to say welcome to BetterMost insane-romantic!  Glad you're here!  Want a cup of coffee don't you?  And a piece of cherry cake?
 :)

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 05:52:52 am »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack becuase not once Ennis made an effort to get to meet Jack's folks when he was alive.

Ye-haww!!