Author Topic: BM movie is anti-gay??  (Read 44879 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: BM movie is anti-gay??
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2007, 01:47:09 pm »
That was funny  ;D Wonder what Ennis would have thought had she really said "Jack Nancy?" It seems that would put a whole new twist on that line  :laugh:

"a whole new 'twist' on that line"....oh yeah, I love brokie puns!  To answer your question, if Alma had a mind to be as biting and sarcastic as I would have been, it might have set Ennis off in a killing frenzy! So that probably wouldn't have helped the story along much.  Ennis was skating on the edge anyway, and later on he sure picked on a large size rough neck that mopped the pavement with him. And, why weren't the Riverton cops outside that bar ready to give Ennis a ticket for driving that truck that had only one headlight functioning? I guarantee that if I ever drove any vehicle with a tail light, brake light, or headlight missing, the cops would pull me over, that is my luck!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2007, 02:51:01 pm »
Thanks jstephens9, and thanks brokeplex!

As I just added on if I prefer the movie or the book and reading your comments here by the two of you, something tells me that the movie is a bit, maybe or not anti-gay, since I have a feeling that it makes also Ennis call Jack in a way: Jack NANCY?? !!

You know how?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2007, 02:57:41 pm »

As I just added on if I prefer the movie or the book and reading your comments here by the two of you, something tells me that the movie is a bit, maybe or not anti-gay, since I have a feeling that it makes also Ennis call Jack in a way: Jack NANCY?? !!

You know how?

Hugs!

now you really have me confused Artiste! you want to try that post again?

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2007, 04:30:46 pm »

You know how?

Hugs!

Artiste, BBM Mountain is pro-gay. The straight people who made BBM are courageous and heroes in my eyes.They
took a financial risk to make a movie that helps gay people. There are anti-gay slurs and scenes in BBM to show
how gay people are were treated and had to live.This may help some people understand us.Alma used the word
"Jack Nasty" most likely because at the time she lived perhaps she did not know a better word.Let me give you an
example.My great grandmother called automobiles "machines" because she did not know the word automobile.

TampaTalon^">

"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2007, 07:12:34 pm »
Thanks brokeplex, and thanks tampatalon!!

brokeplex:

Firstly, I repeat: Ennis in a way did call Jack: NANCY!!

Yes, you can re-read that brokeplex. Are you perplexed about that? I am. I wonder why that was in the movie? Once, you find out, was it also in the book, will be one of my next questions.

tampatalon:
I agree with you in some ways for pro-gay, but in more than one, I find the movie anti-gay! If you seek out why Ennis was unhappy when he asks a certain question to Jack, (see the above to brokeplex), then you wonder if that was added to make it negative towards gay men?

Awaiting your news about this to be researched, gentlemen,

hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2007, 08:46:20 pm »
Artiste, BBM Mountain is pro-gay. The straight people who made BBM are courageous and heroes in my eyes.They
took a financial risk to make a movie that helps gay people. There are anti-gay slurs and scenes in BBM to show
how gay people are were treated and had to live.This may help some people understand us.Alma used the word
"Jack Nasty" most likely because at the time she lived perhaps she did not know a better word.Let me give you an
example.My great grandmother called automobiles "machines" because she did not know the word automobile.

TampaTalon^">

Great story about generational changes in speech patterns. My cotton farmer grandfather knew the word for truck, but I still remember him routinely referring to his truck as "that piece of broken down ****" Different generations, he could have bought a new truck, but he was determined to keep that 1950's piece of ****** going until he died.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2007, 11:04:42 pm »
I'm not so sure that Jack would have appreciated Ennis calling him "Jack Nancy" That just would not go along with the movie  :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2007, 11:44:35 pm »
Thanks jstephens9, and thanks brokeplex!!

Jstephens, if you re-see the movie, you will notice a part where Ennis asks Jack if he plays with other men?
And in a way, Ennis tells him off like calling Jack  Nancy somewhat like that, since Jack went for sex in Mexico!!
This is a hard scene!! ?? Right?? How did Ennis knew of such a place (Mexico for sex)?? Is this also in the book? Or is it only an film mine??

Brokeplex, you perplexe me with your comment with your cotton farmer grand-father, but you got me in a way, I think!! The approach of your grand-father is like Ennis who also continues to hope that Jack will be his lover, even in the above and after it!! Ennis cries... falls on his knees and is held by Jack in tenderness!! That is the best scene as a tragedy, which is acceptable to me, like your grand-papa did love his old love (car), instead of finding a new love. At least they hugged then... and more time is given for friendship, instead of a too quick departure!!

Both of you are interesting!! I am grateful for your comments and thoughts!! Like a jury trial, we see the evidence of difficult times seeing the movie. Is it anti-gay in some ways?? It remains to be proven as only pro-gay?? Is there a certain kind of disrespect in some ways making it anti-gay?? Or is it all respectful as being pro-gay??
Some questions... remain to be thought about!!

Hugs, hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2007, 05:39:12 pm »
Something real (or unreal) happened to-day at the dentist office.

An old woman was there waiting with her entourage. She was wheeled in with a walker. Since we both waited for the dentist to call either one of us, we talked a lot... unfortunately or fortunately!!  She was very agresive with me and asked me often questions. She noticed my moustache, so she got a joke about that from me... since I said that women have moustaches too, but she said  that they do NOT!! Then... as to my way, she sang two songs.

After she was seen by the dentist and I had too, again we were in the waiting room. There, she dared asked me if I was married!

I felt that she was Ennis's wife! That had she seen the BM movie, that she would be anti-gay after seeing it!

God knows... I do not!!

Hugs!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2007, 05:53:30 pm »
Something real (or unreal) happened to-day at the dentist office.

An old woman was there waiting with her entourage. She was wheeled in with a walker. Since we both waited for the dentist to call either one of us, we talked a lot... unfortunately or fortunately!!  She was very agresive with me and asked me often questions. She noticed my moustache, so she got a joke about that from me... since I said that women have moustaches too, but she said  that they do NOT!! Then... as to my way, she sang two songs.

After she was seen by the dentist and I had too, again we were in the waiting room. There, she dared asked me if I was married!

I felt that she was Ennis's wife! That had she seen the BM movie, that she would be anti-gay after seeing it!

God knows... I do not!!

Hugs!!

She probably wanted to find out if you were available for herself Artiste, you should be flattered.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."