Author Topic: BM movie is anti-gay??  (Read 44507 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BM movie is anti-gay??
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2008, 01:57:53 pm »
I still think to-day that the Brokeback Mountain movie is anti-gay, in some ways, unfortunately !

What do you think ? Member and non-members ??

If you are a Guess, you have to become a member to post.

Bienvenue, that's  welcome !

Offline Artiste

« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2008, 11:45:05 am »
The more you see Brokeback Mountain movie, the more you see it as anti-gay, maybe ?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2008, 02:16:23 pm »
I don't see Brokeback Mountain as anti-gay, in fact, I see it as pro-gay, because both Ennis and Jack, the two gay characters in the movie, are the protagonists and are sympathetic characters. Even though they each have their flaws, by the end of the movie (on first glance, actually, for many of us) we love them and want them to be happy. The movie is a tragedy however, being a realistic portrayal of the challenges gay people face in the backward areas of Texas and Wyoming, then and even now, 50 years later. Just because the movie and story portray the real situation instead of an idealized fantasy doesn't make it anti-gay. I think it would be helpful if you saw another of Ang Lee's movies that is pro-gay The Wedding Banquet. You would like it, Artiste.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2008, 02:31:18 pm »
Merci Front-Ranger !

I will re-read your post more than once, and comment later on !!

For now, I just heard Heath talking that he feels like a virgin about the Brokeback Mountain movie, since he normally would not have sought a gay man !  Is that news, as to maybe the BM movie is anti-gay?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2008, 07:43:19 pm »
Front-Ranger and others:

If Heath had been a gay man, openly a homosexual, wouldn't the Brokeback Mountian movie been more pro-gay ?

What do you think ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2008, 01:22:43 am »
Front-Ranger and others:

If Heath had been a gay man, openly a homosexual, wouldn't the Brokeback Mountian movie been more pro-gay ?

What do you think ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Heath was portraying a character Ennis. That does not mean he had to be a gay man or homosexual in real life. That is like saying an actor portraying a murderer in a movie has to be one in real life.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2008, 07:14:25 pm »
I don't see Brokeback Mountain as anti-gay, in fact, I see it as pro-gay, because both Ennis and Jack, the two gay characters in the movie, are the protagonists and are sympathetic characters. Even though they each have their flaws, by the end of the movie (on first glance, actually, for many of us) we love them and want them to be happy. The movie is a tragedy however, being a realistic portrayal of the challenges gay people face in the backward areas of Texas and Wyoming, then and even now, 50 years later. Just because the movie and story portray the real situation instead of an idealized fantasy doesn't make it anti-gay. I think it would be helpful if you saw another of Ang Lee's movies that is pro-gay The Wedding Banquet. You would like it, Artiste.

you may disagree with me, but this leads me to the definition of "gay". were Jack and Ennis gay? not necessarily, certainly I believe that AP implied that Jack was killed because of his increasingly open search for homosex, but did either of them consider themselves as gay? probably not.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2008, 07:21:57 pm »
That may show that Annie was, by extension, showing that North America is or will be becoming Islamic ! ?

Many considered Ennis a straight, but would refuse to think of him being a homosexual, why ? - Because they want Ennis not being gay so not to have him killed, as musdered because they prefered gays to be murdered ?
It could be, since some even on Bettermost are anti-gay ! And many, many, on the internet about Brokeback Mountain are anti-gay, unfortunately !

And there si much more to be said... ?

Au revoir,
hugs!