Author Topic: Summer in the Rocky Mountains!  (Read 34457 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Summer in the Rocky Mountains!
« on: May 13, 2007, 12:15:22 pm »
Spring is finally here. This is a sample of what you will find blooming if you come to the BBQ at the end of this month.

Here's a delphinium. When they first bloom, they are reddish-violet and then they become blue violet.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:26:12 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Spring Has Finally Come to the Rocky Mountains!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 12:40:17 pm »
Here is a lovely stand of chickweed. It doesn't seem right to saddle this pretty groundcover with such a plebian name.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:02:53 pm »
Here is a clump of chiming bells. Anyone want me to post the Latin names of these? I'd be happy to.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:05:22 pm »
My "back yard" is a whole field of blooming ball cacti. It looks like the Easter bunny has visited and left his eggs all over!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 01:23:11 pm »
WOw Lee,
Those are beautiful!
Do all those plants just grow wild around there?
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 01:54:22 pm »
Yes, everything I'm posting here is a native Rocky Mountain wildflower. Here's a real treat, a Pasqueflower that I found growing at the base of a tree:

I hope shakestheground will drop by and look at these flowers sometime. How are your irises from Lightning Flat doing?

I set out all the houseplants from my sunroom yesterday outside and this morning all the geranium blooms were carefully cropped off. But that's okay, the deer left the wildflowers intact.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:13:42 pm »
Wildflower report: Penstemons are blooming on the Front Range where our BBQ will be! Here they are with a sphinx moth.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 07:27:28 pm »
What about wild columbine? Or is it too early for that?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 07:29:33 pm »

Why? You got plans??

;) ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 07:32:52 pm »

The wild Rocky Mountain columbine, the state flower of Colorado, is in bud here at 7300 ft in elevation and by the time of our BBQ, the plants on the sunny side of the mountain may be blooming!! We also have a BBQer coming from Australia named ministering angel. I'll have to watch you two together and make sure that no bruises ensue, but the tumble down the hill might make for some good video!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 07:41:17 pm »
The wild Rocky Mountain columbine, the state flower of Colorado, is in bud here at 7300 ft in elevation and by the time of our BBQ, the plants on the sunny side of the mountain may be blooming!! We also have a BBQer coming from Australia named ministering angel. I'll have to watch you two together and make sure that no bruises ensue, but the tumble down the hill might make for some good video!

I sure won't be tumbling down any hillside, at least not intentionally; I might break my glasses.  :-\

I didn't know the Rocky Mountain columbine was the state flower of Colorado. That's interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing some.

Ministering Angel will have to be responsible himself or herself if he or she gets laid out (  :o  ::) ) in the wild columbine.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 07:44:18 pm »
Wildflower report: Penstemons are blooming on the Front Range where our BBQ will be! Here they are with a sphinx moth.

Here's a little story about penstemon.

I was driving my daughter to the school bus stop one morning in early summer. On my way back up the mountain, I approach our new neighborhood entrance sign, one that has caused quite a controversy in our housing development. Some say only the realtors benefit from a new entrance sign, and others grouse that upstart housing developments between the sign and our community are riding on our coattails.

The new sign is much more substantial than the one it replaced, which featured a moderne asymmetrical oblong in wood. The old sign seemed to go with our most famous landmark, the “clamshell” house where Woody Allen filmed the movie Sleeper. The new sign is set in a flagstone wall. In fact, the flagstones are in place, meticulously set by stonemasons this spring, but the lettering for the sign is yet to arrive, so there’s a blank space in the center of the wall.

But the space is not blank this morning. As I drive closer, I see that someone or several someones have taken advantage of this artistic opportunity to draw something in the blank space.  I can’t quite make out what the drawing is, but it looks to me exactly like the blossom of the one-sided penstemon that is now blooming on our mountain slopes. This little blue flower is one of the most prolific in the area, and there are many variations. I am often confused about the different types of penstemons, because they nearly all seem to be one-sided to me; that is, the flowers are arrayed like flags from the sunny side of the stem. There are tall ones, fuzzy leafed and leathery leafed ones, and there is the short bushy Blue Mist Penstemon that looks, from a distance, exactly like its name.

What a good idea for some young naturalist-slash-graffiti artist  to make us more aware of the beauty around us, I think, as I drive closer. Now, I can see that the naturalist(s) have also been thoughtful enough to label their creation. “Pens” it says in a scrawl underneath the flower. Maybe they ran out of room. But no. As I whiz by, I see an “i” before the s. It actually says, “Penis.” Oh. Silly me. Penis. Of course.

I could get upset by the wanton defacement of the entrance to our upstanding community. But instead, I find myself laughing. It would be like chastising the rain for falling, the wind for blowing, and the earthworms for turning trees into soil. It’s May, after all, and the young vandals (they’re obviously youths) are displaying the closest thing to penstemon blossoms that they have. It may not attract many honey bees, but it’s the only way they know.  They are responding to Nature just as surely as the flowers and wildlife are. I’ll probably not be laughing in a year or two, when my daughter enters high school. Sobering thought. But, I hope a walk down a mountain trail and along a sunny meadow will restore my perspective.

The rectangle is blank when I next pass by the sign, and there’s a utility truck and a man with a paintbrush, as well as a woman with a camera and a frown. There’s also, I notice, a patch of ground that would be a good place for penstemons.

injest

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 07:46:03 pm »
I sure won't be tumbling down any hillside, at least not intentionally; I might break my glasses.  :-\

I didn't know the Rocky Mountain columbine was the state flower of Colorado. That's interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing some.

Ministering Angel will have to be responsible himself or herself if he or she gets laid out (  :o  ::) ) in the wild columbine.  ;D

VERY tactful placing of emoticons....if you'da placed them in another place it'd put a whole other meaning ta that phrase.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 07:51:33 pm »
VERY tactful placing of emoticons....if you'da placed them in another place it'd put a whole other meaning ta that phrase.

Seems like you figured it out anyway.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 07:29:11 pm »
I took this picture of our native irises at our neighborhood clubhouse today. They may be the same variety as grow at Lightning Flat.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 07:30:41 pm »
Here is one of our native daisies and a wallflower.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 07:31:57 pm »
A view of my local "fourteener" Mount Evans.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 07:34:23 pm »

Better watch it, her husband is coming too!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 07:55:38 pm »
Wow Lee,
Those pictures are georgeous!
Thanks for sharing them.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 08:43:10 pm »
Better watch it, her husband is coming too!!

Ministering Angel is a she, she got nothing to worry about from me, and her husband sure doesn't have to worry about me on her account!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 08:45:13 pm »
You mean they grow wild?  :o

I took this picture of our native irises at our neighborhood clubhouse today. They may be the same variety as grow at Lightning Flat.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 10:31:02 am »
You mean they grow wild?  :o

Yes, the irises and many other varieties grow wild in these mountains, giving quite a few photographers their livelihood!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 01:21:03 pm »
Yes, the irises and many other varieties grow wild in these mountains, giving quite a few photographers their livelihood!!

Wow! I've never heard of wild iris before. Must be beautiful. ... :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 09:32:58 am »
You'll see soon.

Here's a lovely bunch of flax that was growing near Lyons at a musician's cabin.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 10:38:55 am »
Flax is pretty. We had some in the garden back home for a couple of years.  :)

You'll see soon.

Here's a lovely bunch of flax that was growing near Lyons at a musician's cabin.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 03:10:30 pm »
So many things are blooming now! Here's a shot of our Yucca, also called soapweed or Spanish bayonet.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:38:22 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 06:40:05 pm »
Here is the meadow by my house. I'm going to take a cue from Roland and see if you can identify the four kinds of wildflowers in this picture:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 06:46:54 pm »
How pretty!

My favorite summer flowers back East here are orange day lilies and Queen Anne's lace.

Here is the meadow by my house. I'm going to take a cue from Roland and see if you can identify the four kinds of wildflowers in this picture:

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 11:00:36 pm »

I can!
Theres the yellow kind, the littel blue kind, purple ones and some pretty orange ones!
Well, I ain't no botanist but I know they're pretty!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2007, 09:52:21 pm »
LOL, Lee, you deserve a prize...of some kind!

I was walking the dog today and saw a field of shooting stars, which I haven't seen in several years!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2007, 12:50:01 pm »
Here is a photo of some penstemon I encountered while walking the dog. I decided to dedicate all my favorite wildflowers to my Brokie buddies, and I would like to start by dedicating the penstemon to Sheriff Roland because, well, there is no bunstemon!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2007, 01:09:46 pm »
Here are some shooting stars (the pink flowers) and I would like to dedicate these to Amanda (who reminds me of all things ethereal) and Lynne (for your beautiful pink jacket)!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2007, 01:23:37 pm »
When the flax blooms, it is a very special day for me. And that day has come! Here's my meadow as seen from my deck.

This flower could belong  to no one but Jack, wouldn't you agree?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Summer in the Rocky Mountains!
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 04:29:41 pm »
Continuing with more pictures from the Rocky Mountains where Brokeback Mountain was based. I went for a hike last weekend and brought back a new crop of pictures. Here is one of a bridge over a rushing stream (there is a lot of snowmelt at this time of year, and the streams are full of water that is about 40 degrees)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 05:05:55 pm »
A tranquil pond in the middle of the wilderness:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 06:13:04 pm »
A stand of tall larkspur:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 02:34:06 pm »
There were so many blooming "chiming bells" that I imagined that if they were all ringing, I would be deaf!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 02:42:53 pm »
A ramshackle alongside the trail:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 02:44:33 pm »
What are these wildflowers called (the blue ones)? Your answers please!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 02:46:48 pm »
One of my favorite wildflowers, that is very rare down in the "lowlands" (7300 ft) where I live. Scarlet Gilia.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 02:48:05 pm »
Hiking buddy Adam beside another ramshackle.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 04:34:55 pm »
Now we're getting to the interesting part--natural hot springs. And I do mean natural!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 04:40:28 pm »
The hot springs are presided over by a cute little marmot.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 04:46:28 pm »
But wait! Before we get into hot springs pictures, here are some more taken from the trail. More rushing snowmelt for all those out there dying of the heat.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 04:47:43 pm »
And another of a hillside covered in scarlet gilia:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2007, 04:54:01 pm »
The high country is full of streams and waterfalls.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »
Like this one:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:09:08 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 05:11:22 pm »
gorgeous!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2007, 05:12:35 pm »
Thanks!! And here's another one:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 05:17:11 pm »
Here's the kind of Rocky Mountain gold I'm interested in, where the golden sunlight is reflected off the surface of a clear mountain stream.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 05:34:47 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2007, 05:58:32 pm »
The trail winds through valleys, forests, and meadows.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2007, 06:01:09 pm »
And more meadows...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2007, 06:02:27 pm »
And on...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2007, 06:03:36 pm »
And on...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2007, 06:04:45 pm »
And on and on...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2007, 06:06:05 pm »
And yet further on...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2007, 06:09:01 pm »
And just a little further...

RodneyFL

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2007, 06:29:11 pm »
Simply outstanding, FRiend Lee, and I'd love to have hi-res versions of all of them!  You have me panting here!!!  and it ain't due to the altitude . . .  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2007, 10:59:16 pm »
Thanks, Rodney, for looking at my little travelogue. Well, FRiends, the trail did finally end. It was beautiful while it lasted, but after many many stops to take pictures, cool my weary feet, and breathe, I did reach the end and jumped into this lovely hot springs with a small group of other weary hikers. Here's just about the only picture I can legally post here, to give you an idea of the setting and ambience:

The water temp was about 104 degrees.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2007, 11:53:21 pm »
Hmmm, I can't decide... shall I make that the end of the photos, or do you want to see more of this Rocky Mountain venture?

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2007, 12:12:52 am »
More, more, Lee! And you can always PM the not-safe-for-work ones!  ;D

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2007, 12:24:23 am »
Well, okay, since you put it that way, and especially since you posted such nice pics of the BBQ, I will rummage around in my BIG STACK of pictures and see if there are any more that I can post...sheesh...oh, here's one, scene with unknown hiker...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2007, 01:00:19 pm »
Friend Adam in hot springs...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2007, 01:06:44 pm »
Another scene of hot springers discoursing on many things. And what do you think they were all talking about while soaking here? I'll give you a little time to guess...

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2007, 01:48:13 pm »
I recognize your fellow hiker of course . . .  who are the other folks in the springs?  (Is that you on the left toward the back?)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2007, 01:58:17 pm »
Yup, that's yours truly...and the others are some hot springs devotees we ran into on the trail...

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2007, 02:17:40 pm »
Having a scintillating discussion.  While soaking with naked men.  In the midst of beautiful mountain splendor. 

You're just trying to make us all jealous!!!      :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2007, 02:23:59 pm »
Hey, I'm just trying to help everybody cool off in the midst of this midsummer heat...am I succeeding?

8)

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2007, 02:26:16 pm »
Somewhat of an opposite effect, Lee!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2007, 02:28:25 pm »
Okay, here's one more...hot springs group with Canadian Club, since it was Canada Day:

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2007, 02:33:04 pm »
Christ.  Check the 2 cuties on the right! 

Jealous!!   :D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2007, 03:52:14 pm »
European note to self:

When in the US

- do wear bath suit in a sauna

- do not wear bath suit in hot springs

Ok. Got it  ;D.

All your pictures are gogeous, Lee. Thanks for posting them. We still wanna know what that scintillating conversation was about  :).

Offline maturben

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2007, 05:45:28 pm »
Lee-----oooooh man!  I am sooo envious.   Hiking in the  mountains, soaking in a hot springs pool-----you do lead a good life.  And you keep real good company.

bob

RodneyFL

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2007, 11:40:21 pm »
Sure lovin' all those photos you're postin' FRiend Lee!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2007, 03:26:05 pm »
Just a few more. Here's another scene looking down into a chasm at a roaring stream. It was so nice to sleep to the sound of rushing water mingled with the breeze in the lodgepole pines.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2007, 03:27:25 pm »
More glinting of golden sunlight in the stream bed.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2007, 03:30:13 pm »
Hiking buddy on one of the many bridges over the stream.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2007, 04:55:25 pm »
Gosh, this thread was just puttering around in the 200s when I was posting wildflowers, but now it is growing at 100-plus views a day!! Amazing!

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2007, 05:58:04 pm »
Gosh, this thread was just puttering around in the 200s when I was posting wildflowers, but now it is growing at 100-plus views a day!! Amazing!

So much good stuff to view!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2007, 06:09:17 pm »
More glinting of golden sunlight in the stream bed.

You drink that water, FRiend Lee? Get beaver fever doin' that.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2007, 06:20:23 pm »
Actually I did end up drinking one bottle of stream water, but I treated it with iodine pills first. Don't need no beaver fever, no way.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2007, 05:03:06 pm »
I'm paying dearly for my fun of last weekend--my skin is very a'pealing today! It's a GDBOAUS!! I've been applying lots of my special lube, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2007, 10:36:04 am »
Another scene of hot springers discoursing on many things. And what do you think they were all talking about while soaking here? I'll give you a little time to guess...

I almost forgot to answer this question! Actually everyone in the hot springs was talking about their jobs!! Can you believe it?? And when they were done with that, they started talking about cars!! Men!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2007, 10:23:31 am »
Back to flowers. Here's a lovely goatsbeard on BRokenback Mountain in Wyoming.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2007, 10:24:51 am »
And here is one of my favorites, Mariposa (or Sego) Lily:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2007, 10:39:44 am »
I almost forgot to answer this question! Actually everyone in the hot springs was talking about their jobs!! Can you believe it?? And when they were done with that, they started talking about cars!! Men!!!

At least some of them must be straight. If they were all gay, they'd be swappin' recipes.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2007, 10:59:11 am »
No doubt, Jeff!  ;)

It's gonna be way over 100 here in the Rocky Mountains today, so I need something to help me cool off. Here's just the thing...funny that a picture of hot springs would be so cooling!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2007, 05:37:18 pm »
A beautiful evening yesterday in the Rocky Mountains. Here is the view as I'm driving into my neighborhood.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2007, 06:34:18 pm »
'Nother view:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2007, 06:37:05 pm »
Okay, just one more:

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2007, 11:28:28 pm »
Okay, just one more:

I wanna move to Colorado!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2007, 10:22:18 am »
Come join us, huntinbuddy! We'll go hunting together!! I was just cutting up chukars last nite for a big party on Friday. We'll be having elk, alligator, walleye, Rocky Mountain and regular oysters, frog's legs, buffalo, bratwurst, and a bunch of other stuff...

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2007, 01:00:59 pm »
Come join us, huntinbuddy! We'll go hunting together!! I was just cutting up chukars last nite for a big party on Friday. We'll be having elk, alligator, walleye, Rocky Mountain and regular oysters, frog's legs, buffalo, bratwurst, and a bunch of other stuff...

Another Memorial weekend BBM BBQ??  Sounds like quite a party with all that exotic food.  I love bison; only the burger is available in local markets here in MO, but a few specialty shops have more if I travel 40 miles or so.  Actually, I do try to make it out to Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and sometimes Montana once every other fall.  Next month, I'll  be in Grand Teton & Yellowstone again for a couple weeks.  This will be my seventh visit, and I have yet to see probably only a tenth of the back-country in Yellowstone.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2008, 10:54:16 am »
Yee-haw, I walked barefoot through the Rocky Mountain buffalograss last evening for the first time this season! It felt great!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2008, 08:04:50 pm »
I went for a wildflower walk today with my friends and gathered a few images of what's blooming now in the Rocky Mountains. Here is chickweed, which we also saw in abundance in Ten Sleep Canyon when my Brokie friends and I were there last week for the Roundup.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2008, 08:06:52 pm »
Here is a poisonous flower that should never be eaten or even touched. It is called Death Camas and resembles a wild onion. Quite a few of them are blooming in my neighborhood this summer.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2008, 08:08:18 pm »
While we were looking at wildflowers, a mother fox passed by with a rodent in her mouth for her kits.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2008, 08:09:40 pm »
Here is a photo of my wildflower watching buddies at work.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2008, 08:11:33 pm »
The front yard of the Twist Ranch will be looking like this in a week or two, with lots of wild iris or Rocky Mountain Blue Flag, as it's called.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2009, 05:40:22 pm »
The first wildflower hike of the season was yesterday. It's been quite rainy, so lots of flowers were blooming. In addition, we saw a family of wild turkey vultures.

Today, I'm relaxing at home. Here's a photo of the garden, complete with kitty:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2009, 09:31:23 am »
Stay tuned for new scenes of summer in the Rocky Mountains...including Wyoming pics, too!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2010, 10:30:36 pm »
Actually I did end up drinking one bottle of stream water, but I treated it with iodine pills first. Don't need no beaver fever, no way.

On "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" this was predicted to be the next major crisis...an outbreak of Beaver Fever!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »
 You may have heard about a wildfire in Golden. It's not threatening my house...there are two mountains between it and me. It's burning about 1500 acres, but it's actually a good thing because there is a lot of dead wood in that area due to the mountain pine beetle, and it needs to burn. Better now than later in the summer, when it will be even harder to control. The smoke has been rather bad though and I've been sneezing a lot.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2011, 02:32:33 pm »
You may have heard about a wildfire in Golden. It's not threatening my house...there are two mountains between it and me. It's burning about 1500 acres, but it's actually a good thing because there is a lot of dead wood in that area due to the mountain pine beetle, and it needs to burn. Better now than later in the summer, when it will be even harder to control. The smoke has been rather bad though and I've been sneezing a lot.

I saw something about the fire on national TV news, but then almost immediately it dropped off NBC's radar screen.

Gesundheit.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »
When the flax blooms, it is a very special day for me. And that day has come! Here's my meadow as seen from my deck.

This flower could belong  to no one but Jack, wouldn't you agree?

The flower blooming is a little behind schedule this summer. I've only seen one flax blooming so far. But there are lots of golden banner, chickweed, and many other things. I saw my first blooming wild rose yesterday!

Every day this week a big dark blue cloud has risen up on the south or west horizon and rolling thunderclaps are soon heard. Sometimes it sounds like a metal roof being ripped off a house. Some days there are a few big angry raindrops thrown down; other days it is all bluster and no action at all. It's been a drama queen summer so far (just a few days before the equinox).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:29 pm »
The flower blooming is a little behind schedule this summer. I've only seen one flax blooming so far. But there are lots of golden banner, chickweed, and many other things. I saw my first blooming wild rose yesterday!

Every day this week a big dark blue cloud has risen up on the south or west horizon and rolling thunderclaps are soon heard. Sometimes it sounds like a metal roof being ripped off a house. Some days there are a few big angry raindrops thrown down; other days it is all bluster and no action at all. It's been a drama queen summer so far (just a few days before the equinox).

Solstice.  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:43 pm »
I was just seeing if anyone was paying attention, Jeff!  8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2011, 03:44:41 pm »
I was just seeing if anyone was paying attention, Jeff!  8)

;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:06 am »
Goodbye to summer in the Rocky Mountains. I can see in the gray dawn that there are 2 inches of snow on my deck!! Whatever happened to August?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2011, 11:39:14 am »
Goodbye to summer in the Rocky Mountains. I can see in the gray dawn that there are 2 inches of snow on my deck!! Whatever happened to August?

It ended over a month ago.

This morning the Weather Channel reported a little light snow falling at the Denver airport.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2011, 07:17:43 pm »
The first real snow has arrived: