Author Topic: Summer in the Rocky Mountains!  (Read 34732 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Spring Has Finally Come to the Rocky Mountains!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 07:41:17 pm »
The wild Rocky Mountain columbine, the state flower of Colorado, is in bud here at 7300 ft in elevation and by the time of our BBQ, the plants on the sunny side of the mountain may be blooming!! We also have a BBQer coming from Australia named ministering angel. I'll have to watch you two together and make sure that no bruises ensue, but the tumble down the hill might make for some good video!

I sure won't be tumbling down any hillside, at least not intentionally; I might break my glasses.  :-\

I didn't know the Rocky Mountain columbine was the state flower of Colorado. That's interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing some.

Ministering Angel will have to be responsible himself or herself if he or she gets laid out (  :o  ::) ) in the wild columbine.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 07:44:18 pm »
Wildflower report: Penstemons are blooming on the Front Range where our BBQ will be! Here they are with a sphinx moth.

Here's a little story about penstemon.

I was driving my daughter to the school bus stop one morning in early summer. On my way back up the mountain, I approach our new neighborhood entrance sign, one that has caused quite a controversy in our housing development. Some say only the realtors benefit from a new entrance sign, and others grouse that upstart housing developments between the sign and our community are riding on our coattails.

The new sign is much more substantial than the one it replaced, which featured a moderne asymmetrical oblong in wood. The old sign seemed to go with our most famous landmark, the “clamshell” house where Woody Allen filmed the movie Sleeper. The new sign is set in a flagstone wall. In fact, the flagstones are in place, meticulously set by stonemasons this spring, but the lettering for the sign is yet to arrive, so there’s a blank space in the center of the wall.

But the space is not blank this morning. As I drive closer, I see that someone or several someones have taken advantage of this artistic opportunity to draw something in the blank space.  I can’t quite make out what the drawing is, but it looks to me exactly like the blossom of the one-sided penstemon that is now blooming on our mountain slopes. This little blue flower is one of the most prolific in the area, and there are many variations. I am often confused about the different types of penstemons, because they nearly all seem to be one-sided to me; that is, the flowers are arrayed like flags from the sunny side of the stem. There are tall ones, fuzzy leafed and leathery leafed ones, and there is the short bushy Blue Mist Penstemon that looks, from a distance, exactly like its name.

What a good idea for some young naturalist-slash-graffiti artist  to make us more aware of the beauty around us, I think, as I drive closer. Now, I can see that the naturalist(s) have also been thoughtful enough to label their creation. “Pens” it says in a scrawl underneath the flower. Maybe they ran out of room. But no. As I whiz by, I see an “i” before the s. It actually says, “Penis.” Oh. Silly me. Penis. Of course.

I could get upset by the wanton defacement of the entrance to our upstanding community. But instead, I find myself laughing. It would be like chastising the rain for falling, the wind for blowing, and the earthworms for turning trees into soil. It’s May, after all, and the young vandals (they’re obviously youths) are displaying the closest thing to penstemon blossoms that they have. It may not attract many honey bees, but it’s the only way they know.  They are responding to Nature just as surely as the flowers and wildlife are. I’ll probably not be laughing in a year or two, when my daughter enters high school. Sobering thought. But, I hope a walk down a mountain trail and along a sunny meadow will restore my perspective.

The rectangle is blank when I next pass by the sign, and there’s a utility truck and a man with a paintbrush, as well as a woman with a camera and a frown. There’s also, I notice, a patch of ground that would be a good place for penstemons.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 07:46:03 pm »
I sure won't be tumbling down any hillside, at least not intentionally; I might break my glasses.  :-\

I didn't know the Rocky Mountain columbine was the state flower of Colorado. That's interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing some.

Ministering Angel will have to be responsible himself or herself if he or she gets laid out (  :o  ::) ) in the wild columbine.  ;D

VERY tactful placing of emoticons....if you'da placed them in another place it'd put a whole other meaning ta that phrase.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 07:51:33 pm »
VERY tactful placing of emoticons....if you'da placed them in another place it'd put a whole other meaning ta that phrase.

Seems like you figured it out anyway.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 07:29:11 pm »
I took this picture of our native irises at our neighborhood clubhouse today. They may be the same variety as grow at Lightning Flat.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 07:30:41 pm »
Here is one of our native daisies and a wallflower.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 07:31:57 pm »
A view of my local "fourteener" Mount Evans.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 07:34:23 pm »

Better watch it, her husband is coming too!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 07:55:38 pm »
Wow Lee,
Those pictures are georgeous!
Thanks for sharing them.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 08:43:10 pm »
Better watch it, her husband is coming too!!

Ministering Angel is a she, she got nothing to worry about from me, and her husband sure doesn't have to worry about me on her account!