Author Topic: Lawsuit over Brokeback Mountain in class  (Read 18483 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Lawsuit over Brokeback Mountain in class
« on: May 13, 2007, 07:24:50 pm »
I'm not sure if this was posted before, if so please do not reply and notify me via pm to have the thread deleted.

Lawsuit over Brokeback Mountain in class

CHICAGO - A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film "Brokeback Mountain" in class.

The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her 8th grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School last year.

The film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

"It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this," said Kenneth Richardson, Turner's guardian. "The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this."

According to the lawsuit filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, the video was shown without permission from the students' parents and guardians.

The lawsuit also names Ashburn Principal Jewel Diaz and a substitute teacher, referred to as "Ms. Buford."

The substitute asked a student to shut the classroom door at the West Side school, saying: "What happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class," according to the lawsuit.

Richardson said his granddaughter was traumatized by the movie and had to undergo psychological treatment and counseling.

In 2005, Richardson complained to school administrators about reading material that he said included curse words.

"This was the last straw," he said. "I feel the lawsuit was necessary because of the warning I had already given them on the literature they were giving out to children to read. I told them it was against our faith."

Messages left over the weekend with CPS officials were not immediately returned.

I still cannot believe this happens in the 21st century.     :-\  >:(  :'(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070513/ap_en_mo/brokeback_lawsuit
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: Lawsuit over Brokeback Mountain in class
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:10:45 pm »
I think you will find that America, as the land of freedom and opportunity, is frequently filled with opposites. People are allowed to practice their intolerance here, in fact it is a protected right.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 09:15:31 pm »
A teacher should not be showing  ANY  R rated move to a 12 year old student.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:20:19 pm »
A teacher should not be showing  ANY  R rated move to a 12 year old student.

I agree.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:23:28 pm »
That's an interesting point. But I also remember when I was in 8th Grade and watching Schindler's List was almost a requirement for passing. Of course, the teacher didn't show us the film in class but strongly encouraged us to see it on our own.

injest

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »
That's an interesting point. But I also remember when I was in 8th Grade and watching Schindler's List was almost a requirement for passing. Of course, the teacher didn't show us the film in class but strongly encouraged us to see it on our own.

That's a HUGE difference, Daniel. HUGE.

No I would not like for my 12 year old to see BBM...as much as I think it is a great movie...the language and the nudity is just too much for that age.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:30:10 pm »
What could that teacher have been thinking?!?!?!  The child is too young to see such things, but I doubt that she was 'scarred' by such things that she needs so much therapy.  I mean, what happened other than the sex that doesn't happen every day in real life?

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:32:59 pm »
I do doubt that the girl would be traumatized by anything other than Jacks murder.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 09:37:56 pm »
I may be missing something, and this is not an attempt of mine to defend the instructor in question, but I seem to remember the age of 12, 13, 14 as being the age when I came into contact with the real world, including an abrasive context with adult themes. Yes, I was upset by them at first, but I was forced rather quickly to accept the reality of what those moments were communicating. Of course, any twelve year old in a public school system will already have a great deal of exposure with adult themes if only from peer conversation, and I for one am grateful that the educators took it upon themselves to help guide some of this exposure in a more directed manner, so that it could add wisdom and relevance to youthful understanding instead of allowing them to remain crass and unrefined as such themes often are in the minds of the early adolescents.

Seriously though, if a thirteen year old can use the "F" word 48 times in a single sentence (granted a run-on sentence), and knows the various correct terminology and uses surrounding the word, I really do not think that any exposure to adult themes in an educational context is going to be bad for him. But that is only my opinion, and I am speaking more from my experience as a youth and student since I do not have the credentials to speak as a parent. I am only trying to inform that twelve-year olds probably know a lot more about the adult world than they let on.

injest

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 09:48:01 pm »
no, it is not about 'protecting' the youngsters innocence...it is about setting standards. My child knew without a doubt what sex was about. (can't live on a farm and not know that...heck, I got a dog humping on the front porch as I type...) BUT the point is, I have to model the appropriate behaviour for my child at each stage of his life. It is inappropriate for a child of 12 to use 'adult' language or to view nudity in movies, so I wouldn't allow him to watch it.

There is a country song that says "I do these things NOT to change the world....but so the world doesn't change me!" It is not important to me that OTHER people let their kids curse or watch R rated movies...MY child does not.

;)