Author Topic: Lawsuit over Brokeback Mountain in class  (Read 18294 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Lawsuit over Brokeback Mountain in class
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2007, 11:15:20 am »
*Damn,* we're uptight here.

::)   :'(
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2007, 11:43:58 am »
I guess this is what you get when you combine our Puritan ancestry with our penchant for victimhood and our litigiousness.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2007, 09:23:56 pm »
A teacher should not be showing  ANY  R rated move to a 12 year old student.

That was kind of my feeling.  I know my mama woulda flipped - just cause it was R, not because of the content per se (Dirty Dancing came out when I was like 10 - had to watch it with adult supervision and various scenes "fast-forwarded"...)

“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2007, 09:26:52 pm »
Hello?! Twenty-first Century - anyone home??!

For that money they should all move to Europe!

Brokeback Mountain Certification: Netherlands:12 / Sweden:7 / Spain:13 / Finland:K-11 / France:U / Portugal:M-12 / Norway:11 / Germany:12 / Belgium:KT / Iceland:12

j. U. d. E.

Sadly JUde this doesn't impress my arch conservative religious friends.  They merely tilt their noses up and sniff and say, "You want to be immoral like the Europeans?  They have legalized prostitution too!"

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2007, 09:29:32 pm »
I was shocked about the grandparents's decision to sue the school. I mean, I agree no teacher should show an R movie to a 12 years old. But if this was another movie, not about homosexuality, this case wouldn't have gone to court. They would've settled it at the Principal's office. I think they're overreacting because the movie is gay themed. IMO the whole issue is fueled by homophobia. That's what saddens me.

agree with you too, nat. 
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

injest

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2007, 12:48:59 am »
This is a TAD off topic but I thought it made a nice contrast. I hope this judge gets the BBM case!  :laugh:

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20070515/46493040_3ca6_1552620070515131630423

This girl sued because she got in trouble for using the term 'that is so gay'. the judge said that her parents caused the harm by throwing such a fit!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2007, 05:51:00 am »
I skimmed the previous posts and I don't think that anyone has mentioned this, and before I do I want to go on record as saying that I believe that both the teacher and the parents are wrong, and yes, I think her parents are milking it, but I'm just offering another opinion.

Does it state anywhere that the gay angle is what "traumatized" this child or is that just what is being assumed? Is that what we are supposed to assume?

Re-playing the movie in my mind to try to figure out what would be so "traumatic" I think that, given the right circumstances, Ennis and Alma in the kitchen after Thanksgiving dinner would be right up there. I've been in a relationship in which I was hit, but, being a tall person I had never seen a man's fist from the low angle that I saw Ennis' fist in the movie, and the first time I saw it, it looked huge to me and it really was something that I did a lot of thinking about. After seeing the movie over and over I realized that the angle wasn't even the way I had experienced it in the beginning, but because I had experienced that in real life it made a big impression on me. I think that there's as much, if not more, likelihood that that scene could have bothered this girl, especially if she had experienced something similar in her own home.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2007, 07:49:19 am »
Sadly JUde this doesn't impress my arch conservative religious friends.  They merely tilt their noses up and sniff and say, "You want to be immoral like the Europeans?  They have legalized prostitution too!"
Yes, Del. I doubt it would impress some people..  :-\

I don't mind being 'immoral' in this case.  ;)

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2007, 12:43:44 pm »
I skimmed the previous posts and I don't think that anyone has mentioned this, and before I do I want to go on record as saying that I believe that both the teacher and the parents are wrong, and yes, I think her parents are milking it, but I'm just offering another opinion.

Does it state anywhere that the gay angle is what "traumatized" this child or is that just what is being assumed? Is that what we are supposed to assume?

Re-playing the movie in my mind to try to figure out what would be so "traumatic" I think that, given the right circumstances, Ennis and Alma in the kitchen after Thanksgiving dinner would be right up there. I've been in a relationship in which I was hit, but, being a tall person I had never seen a man's fist from the low angle that I saw Ennis' fist in the movie, and the first time I saw it, it looked huge to me and it really was something that I did a lot of thinking about. After seeing the movie over and over I realized that the angle wasn't even the way I had experienced it in the beginning, but because I had experienced that in real life it made a big impression on me. I think that there's as much, if not more, likelihood that that scene could have bothered this girl, especially if she had experienced something similar in her own home.

That's a good point.  But what disturbs me is that in no way has anyone reporting on this gone out of their way (or reported on anyone going out of their way) to say it *wasn't* the homosexuality aspect of it that was what traumatized her.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I think it's a case of guilt by omission.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2007, 01:02:15 pm »
I think they are deliberately avoiding specifying what traumatized her for several strategic reasons. 1) By not mentioning homosexuality, they can't be criticized as being homophobic. 2) They can get support from others who might not be homophobic but who object to the general contents of the movie (violence, sex scenes, nudity, swearing, drug use, domestic abuse, etc.). 3) But they STILL get support from the homophobes who assume that homosexuality IS what they're tacitly talking about. 3) They can imply, or even outright argue, that the girl was traumatized not just by one thing, but by a whole bunch of things.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 04:34:06 pm by ineedcrayons »