Author Topic: My First Rodeo !  (Read 6342 times)

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
Re: My First Rodeo !
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 09:48:22 pm »
I love Jack, really I do.  But rodeo just makes me sorta sick.  I can't stand seeing what they do with the animals.  How they get the bulls agitated.  Not as bad as bull-fighting, but I just can't be a fan.

I'm not cut out for the west.  I couln't have shot an elk or a sheep...it would have been beans for me all summer long.....

I hear ya, Celeste. I'm not cut out for hunting and such either. Though I got a say, if you're gonna eat meat, which I do, you gotta admire the person who goes out and kills and prepares their own animal. I mean I would never want to see that or do that. I'll eat meat, but don't want to think too much 'bout where it comes from. Or how it gets to my plate. That's my dad's reason for being a vegetarian (30+ years, and he used to eat all kinds of meat); he reckons if he's not willing/able to bring himself to do the dirty work, he shouldn't eat it. I really, really admire him for that.

My mom mentioned something about what they do to the bulls. She and my sister declined to join me on those very grounds. I didn't let her detail it for me, though. A. I'm squeamish, and B. I might not want to go then either.  I really wanted to experience it, and as bad a person as it may make me sound like, right now I'm choosing to not really think about what they do to the animals...Because I wanna go see the May rodeo. There it is, ugly, maybe, but true.

Speaking of brilliant, LOVE this post Keren! I am jealous. But I can arrange for you to be wearing that shirt come next time, you hear?
Thanks, Jenny!  ;D And yes, your Ennis has a low startle point insight was luminous.  ;D Your Ennis insight and my Jack insight fit together perfectly - like puzzle pieces! They complete each other.

My dear, I will definitely be buying a shirt from you soon. The Ennis Loves Jack shirt is one I had made a few months ago, back before revelationtees. I love it! Soon a revelation tee will grace my torso, too. :) Tell you what, I wish I could buy a slew of revelationtees, one for each of the many Brokeback lines I so adore.....When I win the lottery, I'll have a different Brokeback tee for every day of the week, if not the month! But for now I may have to settle for one...

Leslie, thanks for clarifying the rattlesnake line. Now that I see the quote, I think you may have cited it once before, back on IMDB?

:) ELJ
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 09:53:35 pm »

Leslie, thanks for clarifying the rattlesnake line. Now that I see the quote, I think you may have cited it once before, back on IMDB?

:) ELJ

Hmmmm, not sure, really can't remember...but I always liked this movie because it had Robert Redford as a cowboy...again!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 10:03:48 pm »
Hi there, Keren,

I just wanted to say I loved your post, the rodeo summary, and the Ennis and Jack insights.  Beautiful observations everywhere.  I'm another who has never been to a rodeo because of the animal cruelty angle, but maybe going to one wouldn't hurt..never even seen it on TV.  I keep feeling the need to apologize for the mean Tshirt guy(s)...dunno why, but there you go.  Just so everyone realizes not all small town people think that way.

Thanks again for the lovely post.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 10:18:04 pm »
Hi there, Keren,

I just wanted to say I loved your post, the rodeo summary, and the Ennis and Jack insights.  Beautiful observations everywhere.  I'm another who has never been to a rodeo because of the animal cruelty angle, but maybe going to one wouldn't hurt..never even seen it on TV.  I keep feeling the need to apologize for the mean Tshirt guy(s)...dunno why, but there you go.  Just so everyone realizes not all small town people think that way.

Thanks again for the lovely post.
-Lynne

Heya Lynne,
You're most welcome for the post.  :) Thanks for the lovely props!  ;D

Please don't apologize for thsose guys. It was their choice, not yours. And don't worry. We know, of course, that not all small town folks have small minds. The majority of southern, midwestern, and small town anywhere folks are really terrific. Kind, polite, go out of their way even for strangers. When my car broke down on in the middle of the road late at night a couple years ago, it was a midwestern guy who stopped to help me. So many cars just slowed to rubberneck, then drove right past me. But this good samaritan helped me roll my car back down the offramp I had been exiting, and waited with me till the tow truck came.

Btw, thanks for your work as moderator. I'm loving this beautiful new home!

-Keren/ELJ
Jack Nasty loves you!