Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain: What would Jesus do?-- by toycoon  (Read 4577 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Brokeback Mountain: What would Jesus do?-- by toycoon
« on: June 22, 2007, 08:01:05 pm »
Brokeback Mountain: What would Jesus do?   
  by toycoon   9 hours ago (Thu Mar 22 2007 18:12:35 )

UPDATED Thu Mar 22 2007 21:18:45
Jesus loves me. How do I know? We talk every night. I lie in my bed, in the dark and we discuss the various events of the day. First, I thank Him for my health and all of the wonderful gifts He brings me every day. I ask about what my future might hold or I'll ask Him for his advice on how cope with various challenges I'm faced with. Sometimes, He will call in the middle of the night, while I'm sleeping (He's having a problem with the time change, much like my mother! ). Last night, I woke up from a sad dream. I dreamt that my lover's mother had passed away. I was sobbing on my pillow but I was grateful that it was only a dream.

I couldn't sleep after that so I started thinking about my favorite obsession and I got to wondering how Jesus might have approached the subject of Jack and Ennis and what sort of advice He might given them. After all, last time Jesus was on Earth, he hung out with whores and lepers and other outcasts from society. I came to the conclusion that He would have taken Ennis aside and said, "Ennis, I understand what you are trying to do. I realize that you think you're in love with Alma and that marrying her is the right thing to do but the reality is you have no business promising your fidelity to a woman you hardly know when your heart is somewhere else. It's obvious to everyone that you are in love with Jack. You may not appreciate this now but you will in time. Jack is devoted to you and he has been since the first day he met you. The truth is he was made for you, believe Me, I know." To Jack, He might have said, "Jack you are capable of teaching Ennis to love, something he's never experienced before and moreover, to learn to love himself. He needs you. Keep working on him, blue eyes, he'll come around. Everyone has a soul mate. Some folks are lucky enough to find them in their lifetime. It's no coincidence that you two are here on Brokeback Mountain. Some people call it fate but it's actually your destiny."

Re: Brokeback Mountain: What would Jesus do?   
  by spiceylife   8 hours ago (Thu Mar 22 2007 19:06:59 )

toycoon, this moved me to tears. You're a lovely person. Jesus gives such wise and beautiful advice.

To Jack, He might have said, "Jack you are capable of teaching Ennis to love, something he's never experienced before and moreover, to learn to love himself. He needs you. Keep working on him, blue eyes, he'll come around. Everyone has a soul mate. Some folks are lucky enough to find them in their lifetime. It's no coincidence that you two are here on Brokeback Mountain. Some people call it fate but it's actually your destiny"

Another gorgeous story to love from toycoon...

Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns and calls me on and on across the universe...

by maynard-85   7 hours ago (Thu Mar 22 2007 19:39:50 )   

my first post... I'm moved to tears as well by this. It is so true.

''sending up a prayer of thanks''

by garycottle   7 hours ago (Thu Mar 22 2007 20:00:30 )   

Welcome maynard-85.

by malina-5   6 hours ago (Thu Mar 22 2007 20:58:11 )

UPDATED Thu Mar 22 2007 21:01:35
Yes, welcome maynard-85!

Toycoon, that was a lovely post and you are a lovely person. I got tears in my eyes too - I thought I was just being sentimental today but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

What would Jesus do? The same as what Jack eventually succeeded in doing - convincing Ennis to, as ClancyPants put it, 'wake up to love'. Wake up to love, and everything that means - accepting one's own failings, one's own imperfection, connecting with others despite the fear and exposure that inevitably entails, and by doing that, tear down the walls that keep you from life and love and joy and pain and connecting and parting and all the rest of it. If Jesus does directly intervene - I'm not sure if He does, but He might - he was there whispering into Ennis's ear to go up to Jack and hug him from behind as he dozed in front of the fire. Because Jack needed to have that memory, at least.

Now, as for Jack and Jesus - J+J - well, it's kind of like, with me, no one is ever surprised that I'm an air sign. It surprised me - I relate less to that element than to any of the other three - until someone pointed out that I don't need and perhaps even can't 'relate to' air if that's what I already am, or live within. If Jesus is all about love - and, I believe that to be true, I believe that the main things He stood for - no, not stood for, WAS - were love and acceptance - if Jesus is all about love, well, that's already Jack's sort of.. native ground. His natural habitat - his essence. So Jack might not have been as aware of the Jesus-nudges, but .. Jesus was there, making Jack Jack.

oh, but I love the 'blue eyes' 

...beauty's religion
And its Christened me with wonder

by samrim-1   2 hours ago (Fri Mar 23 2007 01:19:56 )   

UPDATED Fri Mar 23 2007 01:22:44
<< I believe that the main things He stood for - no, not stood for, WAS - were love and acceptance>>

Hi everyone, and a warm welcome to maynard-85, you're among friends, pal.

Malina, I was preparing to be a bit cool about toycoon's lovely post, feeling a bit grouchy this rather weary Friday morning (busy week!); that was till I read the above, then I had to snivvle! How can I forget, of course, Jesus IS love. I need no bible bashers or right wing ranters to remind me of it, because love is all around me, in the beautiful sunny morning, the blackbird singing his heart out outside my window, in the promise of meeting trusted and tried friends at the village library where I'm working today, and most of all maybe, in the outpouring of love I find here occasioned by our two lads.

Maybe the new perspective I've had on my life since I first met Ennis and Jack will be ole Brokeback's true legacy for me, as I guess it may be for so many other people, but whether or not, I just continue to see the film and story, as a miraculous revelation of what love is all about!

Sorry, I'm waffling, but feel a bit 'full' ATM, and want to share it with you,my friends.

Sam

"Jack leaned against the steady heartbeat"

"Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger"

by Susiebell   1 hour ago (Fri Mar 23 2007 01:45:02 )   

Beautiful thoughts toycoon 

Susie

by HashRouge   41 minutes ago (Fri Mar 23 2007 02:48:30 )

The thing was, Jesus understood people. The Christians who use their relgion against homosexuality seem to forget that.

Russell can't be with us tonight...he's in Guantanamo Bay
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:13:16 pm by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Brokeback Mountain: What would Jesus do?-- by toycoon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:19:28 pm »
I have no doubt, Jesus was gay. They just left that part out.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:21:47 pm »
I have no doubt, Jesus was gay. They just left that part out.

Amen...
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:22:32 pm »
I would not be surprised if he were... They say there's something like that in "The Last Temptation of Christ", but I never saw it.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 07:37:31 pm »
True-
I'm so glad you saved this thread! I loved this post until it was hijacked by the religious zealots. They sure know how to kill a party! I think Jesus would be saddened greatly to know indignities people commit in his name.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:45 am »
it is safe from the trolls here, my friend!

"True"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 07:35:49 pm »
Hello, Toycoon!     I remember that thread too....I was so sorry that it got chewed up, spat out and ruined at the IMDB.   
You want to know a place that's even more notorious?  Amazon.  But that's another discussion.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 11:40:57 pm »
Hello, Toycoon!     I remember that thread too....I was so sorry that it got chewed up, spat out and ruined at the IMDB.   
You want to know a place that's even more notorious?  Amazon.  But that's another discussion.

Me too!
It's kinda why I came Here!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 12:36:00 am »

Hey there Shortfic,
Nice to see you here! Are you a real member or just a guest 'passin' thru'?

What do you mean about Amazon? I don't know what yer talkin' about? ???
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 11:46:19 pm »
Hi, Toycoon.  I am a member....but I don't know at what point I rise in the ranks here or whatever it's called.   
On Amazon, there is a war of sorts going on in which a friend of mine is involved.   It has to do with one of the so-called Top reviewers.  This guy reviews an unbelievable number of mostly obscure books, movies and operas, or plays, and then within a few minutes he's got hundreds of votes in his favor.   We are convinced that he's got some kind of voting bloc, maybe he's paying people to vote for him, or he's got a bot doing it somehow.
     To make matters worse, when some of complain and whistleblow, many of our posts get deleted--and the note says that the posters deleted them, which is not true.  We do not delete our own posts.   
     It's all very odd.....
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"