Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3200854 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #3030 on: August 09, 2007, 09:19:21 am »
I was exited to watch the "Rendition" trailer, I didn't get around to that till yesterday. Jake! More and new Jake! This will be good. And Meryl Streep, too. Yep, should be good. But...

I can't help it: The storyline as presented by the trailer made me nervous. I don't feel certain about just how this film will present the "renditions". Will it show them up exclusively as the horrible breaches of human dignity and human rights that they are, or will it indicate that "OK, all that and family tragedies as well, it's bad; but there *are* some benefits too, so it's not an easy choice, - in some instances there is no way around the renditions?" Will it end up concluding that at the end of the day it's necessary to weigh the pros and cons of rendition? If so, I will be downright scared. If such a big-name film were to be toing the IMO completlly indefensible Cheney line of torture as a sometimes bona fide, though somewhat extreme, measure in the fight against terrorism - that would sincerely frighten me.

Fingers crossed that both the message of the film and seeing Jake in it will agree with me in equal measure!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3031 on: August 12, 2007, 11:54:24 am »
I hear you there, Mikaela.  I would be deeply disturbed on a number of levels if that were to end up being the movie's ultimate message, too.

What's interesting, too, is that it seems "Lions for Lambs" will be coming out at around the same time.  I'm wondering a similar thing about that one - will its ultimate message be that the "War on Terror" really is necessary?  I'm hoping (and thinking) not.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3032 on: August 12, 2007, 12:28:56 pm »
I was exited to watch the "Rendition" trailer, I didn't get around to that till yesterday. Jake! More and new Jake! This will be good. And Meryl Streep, too. Yep, should be good. But...

I can't help it: The storyline as presented by the trailer made me nervous. I don't feel certain about just how this film will present the "renditions". Will it show them up exclusively as the horrible breaches of human dignity and human rights that they are, or will it indicate that "OK, all that and family tragedies as well, it's bad; but there *are* some benefits too, so it's not an easy choice, - in some instances there is no way around the renditions?" Will it end up concluding that at the end of the day it's necessary to weigh the pros and cons of rendition? If so, I will be downright scared. If such a big-name film were to be toing the IMO completlly indefensible Cheney line of torture as a sometimes bona fide, though somewhat extreme, measure in the fight against terrorism - that would sincerely frighten me.

Fingers crossed that both the message of the film and seeing Jake in it will agree with me in equal measure!

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the message of the movie.  It may not be due to the climate in Hollywood these days, but most war/cold war movies, based in reality or not, always show the horrible choices one has to make during wartime, and it's always between human lives/rights and the bigger picture, the "few sacrificed for the many" kind of thing.  Is it scary?  Oh, yes, it ought to be.  War is scary.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #3033 on: August 12, 2007, 02:03:13 pm »
I don't think of Renditions featuring torture (and by extension; Guantanamo Bay) mainly in the context of war, but as crimes against humanity, plain and simple. And they are sure scary alright, - I do not however think they are defensible as valid measures undertaken by a nation that subscribes to the declaration of Human Rights in any kind of scenario. In war or without.

And I'd be more than sad to see Jake G. defending them through any film he participated in. It's more than enough to have Kiefer Sutherland out there, torturing TV terrorists 24/7.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3034 on: August 12, 2007, 03:31:54 pm »

I may be totally off base here.  But knowing the way he has been involved in humanitarian issues, and campaigns.  I just cannot
see him doing a movie that would have for the basis and foundation, being that TORTURE IS OK It would go against everything
he has thusfar espoused, and stood for.  JMO                                                                                   Janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #3035 on: August 12, 2007, 05:21:25 pm »
Janice, I do hope you're right and I would surely have thought and expected the same from Jake that you do.  :)   It's just that the trailer seemed more ambiguous than I'd have anticipated, and that worried me some.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #3036 on: August 12, 2007, 06:18:21 pm »
Rendition looks like a fantastic movie.  What a line up of stars.  Its going to be awesome to see in the theatres

I too hope that Jake isn't condoning violation of human rights in this movie, but there is that possibility he is.  There wasn't much of Jake in the trailer, but enough to know that he is relevant to the rendition as a possible advocate. 

My perception is that Jake will turn out to be a hero just from knowing the characters he has played, and what he advocates in his real life.   Cant wait to see it!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #3037 on: August 12, 2007, 09:17:03 pm »
**sigh**  :-* "RENDITION JAKE"

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3038 on: August 13, 2007, 09:16:18 pm »
I don't think of Renditions featuring torture (and by extension; Guantanamo Bay) mainly in the context of war, but as crimes against humanity, plain and simple. And they are sure scary alright, - I do not however think they are defensible as valid measures undertaken by a nation that subscribes to the declaration of Human Rights in any kind of scenario. In war or without.

And I'd be more than sad to see Jake G. defending them through any film he participated in. It's more than enough to have Kiefer Sutherland out there, torturing TV terrorists 24/7.

The problem is, it looks like it's going to be reflection of modern wartime actions (Gitmo).  If it was simply about torture as a human rights violation, then it would be about South American countries, China and Amnesty International.  It's not.  That's why I'm assuming it's going to be a story set against our current national situation

i.e. this wasn't an issue/problem in the U.S. until after the war started.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #3039 on: August 14, 2007, 09:36:19 am »
i.e. this wasn't an issue/problem in the U.S. until after the war started.

Well, thank God for that. But whether or not it happened before or after the start of the "war on terrorism" makes no difference to my point;  that wherever and whenever it happens it's a crime against humanity. (Though it does seem to make much more of an impression on us impressionable Europeans when it's the US, supposed to be the country upholding and defending human rights in the world - going about it as a matter of policy.)  I'd be sad to see Jake - or anyone else -  invovlved in saying otherwise, however armbiguously.

Seems we're not in agreement on this,  and this probably isn't the right place to discuss the current US administration's means and methods - so I'll leave it be now. Time will tell what message the film has on this.