Author Topic: O that blue, blue shirt of yours (classical Chinese references) -- by weewitch  (Read 2823 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
O that blue, blue shirt of yours (classical Chinese references in BBM)   
  by - weewitch (Sun Feb 26 2006 18:07:15 )   

I originally posted the following reply under "2 minute Ang Lee interview in Chinese" but would like to start a new thread about this particular topic, so I've copied my posts and other people's replies here:

by - weewitch 21 hours ago (Sat Feb 25 2006 20:05:20 )

UPDATED Sat Feb 25 2006 22:10:02

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are quite a few threads on this board about Western classical literary references in BBM. Here is a Chinese one.

Although the film is set in Wyoming, the theme about cowboys in love, the language in English, Ang Lee has subtly incorporated many Chinese cultural elements in his filming. A while ago, I posted a thread about the Ying and Yang colors of the cowboy hats. Someone mentioned that almost every scene contained the five forces of nature – metal, wood, water, fire and earth.

Ang Lee chose the Chinese title for his film. Instead of “Brokeback Mountain”, he transliterated it into “Broke-arm Mountain”, hinting that the loss of love between the two men is similar to losing a sibling, which in Chinese culture is regarded as one of your limbs.

After watching this clip (thank you ellemeno for posting it) I got thinking – what would Ang Lee have named this film if it were set in China and filmed in Chinese? (esp knowing that Ang grew up with a curriculum better versed in classical Chinese literature than the mainland schooling, I figured he would most definitely have employed classical references or analogies, just as he did in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon").

My guess is - he probably would have named it “Qing Qing Zi Jin” (pronounced ching ching dze gin) – a line taken from “The Book of Songs” (Shi Jing), collected and edited by Master Confucius, some dating back over 2500 years ago. It is the earliest book of classical poetry in Chinese history.

This particular line means “O that blue, blue shirt of yours”. What follows in the poem is “You You Wo Xin” (pronounced yo yo woa shin). The poem is as follows:

O that blue, blue shirt of yours
Remains with my heart intertwined
Although I cannot visit upon you
Whither a note from you shall I find?

qing qing zi jin
you you wo xin
zong wo bu wang
zi ning bu si yin?

The reference doesn’t stop here. If you can find Cao Cao (or Tsao Tsao)’s famous poem “Short Ballad”, in which he quoted those two lines from "Shi Jing", you will see that the entire theme is uncannily befitting of BBM, even though Cao himself at that time meant for something else :). (Cao was one of the most famous politicians and military strategists in Chinese history, who lived during the Three Kingdom era – around 220 ad, whose son became the first emperor of the Wei Dynasty).

Anyway, I know this thread attracts attention of Chinese speakers from all over the world. I don’t know where else to find you guys.

WO MEN DOU AI LI AN SHUSHU
(We all love Uncle Ang Lee.)

wsp416's reply   
  by - weewitch (Sun Feb 26 2006 18:09:39 )   

by - wsp416 20 hours ago (Sat Feb 25 2006 21:29:51 )

UPDATED Sun Feb 26 2006 01:37:19

Funny that you mentioned specifically this famous poem. You know the Chinese gay community and some critics believe this poem is in fact depicting the love of a man for another man. I used to think it was funny (to make such association). Now I sort of agree. The more I read it, the more I see it.

BTW, I think the Broke-arm Mountain is not the official translation of the movie.

Re: wsp416's reply   
  by - weewitch (Sun Feb 26 2006 18:11:51 )   

by - weewitch 14 hours ago (Sun Feb 26 2006 03:24:47 )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>You know the Chinese gay community and some critics believe this poem is in fact depicting the love of a man for another man.<

I wasn’t aware of such an association. Thank you for sharing that. I’m better informed now :).

>BTW, I think the Broke-arm Mountain is not the official translation of the movie. <

I read in the media coverage that Ang Lee chose this title. I see both being used now and it's a bit confusing.

>I used to think it was funny (to make such association). Now I sort of agree. The more I read it, the more I see it. <

If you think this is funny, the fun doesn’t stop here. In Cao’s ballad, after quoting those two lines, he followed with something like “because of you, I’ve been reciting this poem till now” (dan wei jun gu, chen yin zhi jin.) You know how you can derive various meanings from any given line in Chinese literature. If you interpret “gu” as “past, death”, then these lines assume a completely different meaning:

O that blue, blue shirt of yours
Remains with my heart intertwined.
Now that you have passed away
I’ve hummed its elegy till this day.

What elegy?

Jack, I swear…

stevme's reply   
  by - weewitch (Sun Feb 26 2006 18:14:02 )   

by - stevme 9 hours ago (Sun Feb 26 2006 09:01:17 ) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

This is excellent analysis, and I hope you will provide us with further insight into the Asian dimensions in this film, which must be there, whether Ang Lee consciously thought about it or not, given his background and culture.

The two shirts are perhaps the most powerful symbol in the film, besides the mountain itself, and you provide an historial and cultural dimension to which we Westerners are blind.

This line of thought is DEFINITELY worth an article for publication somewhere, and, I hope, eventually posted to this board.

Re: stevme's reply   
  by - weewitch (Sun Feb 26 2006 18:17:33 )   

Thank you stevme for your kind words and encouragement. I’m just happy that I can share some of the Chinese aspects in this very Western film with non-Chinese speakers. Despite the official ban on BBM in mainland China, the media and the people are just crazy about Ang Lee, and of course, extremely proud of him as well. Everyone marvels how finally we’ve got someone who transcends while at the same time combines the vast differences of Eastern and Western cultures with such aplomb, deftness and perfection.

There are indeed many more Chinese cultural elements buried in BBM. Just to give you a few more examples about the quantities of silent moments in this film:

When you learn Chinese ink painting, the first thing your master teaches you is – liu bai tian di kuan – meaning “leaving blanks broadens the horizon”. You are never allowed to fill every corner on a frame but must leave a lot of white/blank space. Ang Lee has employed this technique so that he leaves the audience with an enormous space for interpretation, analysis and imagination.

A famous line from a famous poet of the Tang Dynasty states – ci shi wu sheng sheng you sheng – “silence (at the right moment) surpasses sounds” (the unspoken speaks louder than words). There are many moments like this in BBM for us to savor.

Finally, when Ennis discovers those blood-stained shirts – just imagine how many directors would have ruined this moment with melodramatic sound effect and unbridled emotional discharge. Ang Lee exercises great constraint. He lets the audience be shaken with “hearing thunderbolts in silence” (yu wu sheng chu ting jing lei).

Hope to receive more input from other posters. Thanks!

by - stevme (Mon Feb 27 2006 06:52:12 )   

I'm delighted you have reposted your thread and added additional comment. Already we are receiving some additional insight from other Asian viewers.

I guess from a Western perspective, a general question might be: "What is typically Chinese about Brokeback mountain?"

As to silence and the shirts, I must disagree somewhat. I was watching this scene with great care on my 3rd viewing (to the extent I was able through blurred vision from tears). As you say, there is total silence as Ennis enters Jack's room and as he begins to examine elements in the closet. However, just as he notices the shirts and touches them and then recognizes them, Ang does add some soft violin background to give emphasis to this critical moment in the film. I have done a little editing myself and am aware how music, at the precise frame required, can add dramatic punch. In this case, it is done with extreme delicacy. It could have worked without any music whatever, since at this point in the story, in one of her most beautiful paragraphs, Annie Proulx writes:

"The shirt seemed heavy until he saw there was another shirt inside it, the sleeves carefully worked down inside Jack's sleeves. It was his own plaid shirt, lost, he'd thought, long ago in some damn laundry, his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack and hidden here inside Jack's own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two in one. He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands."

And we see Ennis breathing in, as Annie describes in her story, searching for Jack's memory. Without music we would have been better able to hear Ennis drawing in his breath. If you have ever tried to recall a loved one, you know what she is talking about when she mentions "no real scent, only the memory of it ...," even the scent of him is gone. Heath plays this moment to perfection.

by - starboardlight (Mon Feb 27 2006 17:41:22 )   

However, just as he notices the shirts and touches them and then recognizes them, Ang does add some soft violin background to give emphasis to this critical moment in the film.

I'm not sure if "soft violin" is the right description. The music is the death theme. We first hear it when Ennis comes upon the dead sheep. We hear it again when Ennis tells of seeing Earl's dead body and during his phone call with Lureen. Despite the quietness, it's a rather harsh and violent piece of music. but I'm getting off topic. thank you for your insight into film editing and let's get back to Classical Chinese references.

by - stevme (Thu Mar 2 2006 18:08:57 )

Starboardlight, you are right, I got off topic. I did mean to convey, however, that the addition of music transforms utterly a visual image; it's not the same anymore. It's a change on the order of magnitudes. My recollection is that the music added was, at least initially, quite soft and unobtrusive, but I may be wrong on this.

by - weewitch (Sat Mar 4 2006 17:07:36 )   

Stevme:

I finally coordinated my schedule with my husband's and watched the film again for the third time (his second viewing). I paid very close attention to that shirt scene - held my breath, nearly suffocated :) - and am eager to tell you that I DID hear Ennis INHALE at the shirts. The sound effect is definitely there! Ang Lee did not miss or let music override that important detail.

Now I can have a good, long sleep... :)

by - muscla_1 (Thu Apr 6 2006 21:49:54 )   

"The shirt seemed heavy until he saw there was another shirt inside it, the sleeves carefully worked down inside Jack's sleeves. It was his own plaid shirt, lost, he'd thought, long ago in some damn laundry, his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack and hidden here inside Jack's own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two in one. He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands."
THAT was the line that made me completely lose it when I read the story back in '97.

This is a way cool thread!

"Jack, I swear..."

Brokeback Mountain Chinese title   
  by - vshwong (Sun Feb 26 2006 18:44:26 )   

The literal translation of the official Chinese movie title is exactly "Broke Back Mountain", not "Broke Arm Mountain". "Broke Arm", is a very commonly used analogy in Chinese martial arts novels to describe one's determination to end a relationship or situation. You cut one of your arms off with a sword and say, "now I owe you nothing!" :) However, when you say "broke back", it doesn't mean you are chopping someone into two pieces in the waist, it means that one's pressure is so much to bear it breaks your spine.

Some interesting tidbits about Brokeback Mountain playing in Asia:

Since Ang Lee was born in Taiwan, when he visited Taiwan to promote his movie, he was treated like a superstar. The week the movie premiered in Taiwan, it got box office number 1, as Taiwanese flocked to support Lee's movie.

Brokeback Mountain is Singapore first movie to show homosexual acts. It's rated adult, can only be seen if one is 21 or older. Since this movie is getting so many international awards and praises, Singapore has to act "international" and allow this movie to be played in theatres or they will look as bad as China or Malaysia.

China, of course, bans this movie. (They also banned "Babe" because they reasoned that pigs don't speak human language) That leads to a very huge phenomenon in China - it became the number one seller of pirated DVDs. Everyone has to see it because it was so "outspokenly" banned.

Re: Brokeback Mountain Chinese title   
  by - xiquest (Mon Feb 27 2006 05:29:44 )   

Brokeback Mountain is Singapore first movie to show homosexual acts.

Well, not exactly. I live in Singapore and some years ago i saw a french film called 8 Femmes that had some pretty overt homosexual references, and it wasn't age-restricted (i was 15 when i saw it). Just thought i'd point that out =) That said, Brokeback is the first film we've seen here that depicts homosexual love-making. I'm really glad it wasn't banned, and in fact there was some lobbying in the local media for it to be rated M-18(18 & above) instead of R-21 so it could reach a wider audience.

Oh and weewitch, i was wondering where you got the info about the official title of BBM. When i saw the film there were chinese subtitles and the title was translated as "duan bei shan" (literally, broke-back mountain). The "broke-arm" theory's pretty interesting.

by - ken_lee54 (Mon Feb 27 2006 22:22:24 )   

>Brokeback Mountain is Singapore first movie to show homosexual acts.

This is so not true. What would you call "Mysterious Skin" (shown uncut) then? Child play?

by - muscla_1 (Thu Apr 6 2006 21:52:57 )

China, of course, bans this movie. (They also banned "Babe" because they reasoned that pigs don't speak human language) That leads to a very huge phenomenon in China - it became the number one seller of pirated DVDs. Everyone has to see it because it was so "outspokenly" banned.
Since over 90% of DVDs in China are pirated, that translates to a HUGE viewership.

Thank you, Ministry of Culture!!!

"Jack, I swear..."

by - babebegud (Wed Apr 26 2006 23:44:56 )   

I'm Chinese and I live in mainland China. Please excuse my English.

I do not agree that BBM has become the number one seller of pirated DVDs and everyone has to see it, or that there is a huge viewership here. I don't have numbers, but I think aside from a certain group of people who're well educated and open-minded, and have a decent understanding of English language (Ennis's mumbling in his accent...just too hard for us non-english speakers to get, and yes, the translation and English subtitles in the pirated DVD is lousy and extremely misleading!!!), not many people here are so eager to see this movie or are very impressed after viewing it.

As much as I LOVE this movie after I saw it about two months ago and I ordered a copy from Amazon to get the correct English subtitles, I can't find someone around me, my family, friends and co-workers, with whom I could discuss about it let alone share the same feelings. I'm frustrated but am glad to find this board. There is a Chinese board dedicated to BBM, but it's way quieter than this one and sorry, most posts there do nothing other than scratch the surface of this incredible movie.

by - jshane2002 2 days ago (Sat May 13 2006 00:50:57 )

REPLY TO by - babebegud (Wed Apr 26 2006 23:44:56 )   

I'm Chinese and I live in mainland China. Please excuse my English.

"I do not agree that BBM has become the number one seller of pirated DVDs and everyone has to see it, or that there is a huge viewership here. I don't have numbers, but I think aside from a certain group of people who're well educated and open-minded, and have a decent understanding of English language (Ennis's mumbling in his accent...just too hard for us non-english speakers to get, and yes, the translation and English subtitles in the pirated DVD is lousy and extremely misleading!!!), not many people here are so eager to see this movie or are very impressed after viewing it. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Never would have guessed that English was not your native language. So many people write lazy, error ridden English, yours is quite good.

Anyway I was reading here about Chinese influences because it seems that Ang Lee's sensiblity for nature is so powerful and just strikes me as Chinese, or certainly non-US and I love nature.

About the soundtrack it's too bad the western dialect is hard to understand although if you heard for a while you would start to pick it up quickly. It's a shame because I love the unity of the language in Brokeback Mountain. To me it sounds as if nature could speak ( in words ) it would sound like Ennis' western twang.

Since I know some Spanish I set my DVD to display Spanish subtitles and I was shocked to see how much the poorly translated Spanish missed the humor in the dialogue. Same thing when watching the dubbed Spanish and French which is worse because you can't even hear Jake and Heath's voices.

Like any good art which consists of a great deal of poetry, so much is lost when translated, in fact that is a paraphrase of someone's definition of poetry ( the part that cannot be translated ).

by - Mart-13 (Thu Apr 6 2006 22:02:55 )

"They also banned "Babe" because they reasoned that pigs don't speak human language."

The reason very probably was exactly what they said -- because of a pig talking. The deeper reason likely is, because "Animal Farm" is still banned on mainland China. "Animal Farm", a short long book, was written by George Orwell and it very satirically depicts talking pigs, whom you will see in very bad light, once having finished reading the book. It actually looks shorter in web format, because the book itself is thin by any measure, but may be difficult to read (Possibly because the only one that I remember seeing and attempting to read, was a Russian-language version somewhere, despite my being a half-Russian. For the most part, I had the chance of listening to the book being read on the BBC.).

by - revolution-hk 3 days ago (Thu May 11 2006 08:12:06 )   

I thought Animal Farm have some political meanings?

"If you can't fix it....call the support hot-line."

by - Mart-13 3 days ago (Thu May 11 2006 17:07:23 )

"I thought Animal Farm have some political meanings?"

Which is why it was banned in China, AFAIK.

See if you can get to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: O that blue, blue shirt of yours (classical Chinese references in BBM)   
  by - weewitch (Mon Feb 27 2006 17:35:51 )   

Thank you all for responding.

stevme: loved your post and esp analysis of that very crucial moment. This is why I love this board so much. Each person’s perspective brings fresh insight and adds to my appreciation of this great film.

I’ve only read bits and pieces of the original story in English, mostly from this board. Chinese translation is already available on the internet but as with all translations, the original flavor is weakened at best if not lost at all. Your quote only increased my anxiety to receive the book from Amazon. My husband has ordered it as my birthday present, which is next Monday, so the real gift would be for Ang Lee to win on the night before – I’d have so much to celebrate!

xiquest: the broke-arm theory is indeed interesting and I am baffled at its origin as well. I read in a few stories that Ang Lee chose it but wsp says otherwise.

Vshwong wrote: “…it became the number one seller of pirated DVDs.”

True. Unfortunately, the subtitles of those pirated copies are completely wrong, which led to colossal misunderstandings and even criticism of the film in some media reviews and esp on Chinese discussion boards. I became so upset with the situation that I decided to translate key dialogues myself. As I am pretty weak from courses of chemotherapy for my ailment, it took me over ten days to finish the project. The translation of Annie Proulx’s story helped a great deal because a lot of the dialogues are identical. I posted my translation on a few websites and everyday I receive replies that my subtitles have helped people better understand the film (I don’t mind being “pirated” and hope that my translation is spread far and wide).

That, in itself, is a potent dose of therapy for me. BBM has a magical healing power :).

by - muscla_1 (Thu Apr 6 2006 21:58:12 )   

True. Unfortunately, the subtitles of those pirated copies are completely wrong, which led to colossal misunderstandings and even criticism of the film in some media reviews and esp on Chinese discussion boards. I became so upset with the situation that I decided to translate key dialogues myself. As I am pretty weak from courses of chemotherapy for my ailment, it took me over ten days to finish the project. The translation of Annie Proulx’s story helped a great deal because a lot of the dialogues are identical. I posted my translation on a few websites and everyday I receive replies that my subtitles have helped people better understand the film (I don’t mind being “pirated” and hope that my translation is spread far and wide).
Thank you for this wonderful thread, WeeWitch, and for your work to spread accurate translations.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are ill, and I wish for your full and speedy recovery. Please take care of yourself.

"Jack, I swear..."

The 'Fishing Trips'   
  by - taj_e (Fri Apr 28 2006 23:27:38 )   

I wonder if someone can relate to some of the beautiful shots on their fishing trips;

1. Horses legs, delicately stepping onto the moss. Almost like a ballet routine
2. The two of them riding horses through the river/water. Ennis was seen enjoying watching Jack

The second point, I think it was naun, relates that to the 'water walking Jesus' song
I'm interested and curious to know, if there's any different point of view

'I wish I knew how to quit BBM...'

Re: O that blue, blue shirt of yours (classical Chinese references in BB   
  by - retropian (Mon Feb 27 2006 18:07:06 )   

What a beautiful insight. bumping. What other symbolism in the film can be identified or interpreted specifically as Chinese or Asian? The Moon? Flowing water vs. still water?

by - weewitch (Tue Feb 28 2006 03:56:30 )   

>>What other symbolism in the film can be identified or interpreted specifically as Chinese or Asian? The Moon? Flowing water vs. still water?<<

Well, retropian, all those you mentioned and more. Actually the true beauty lies in Ang Lee’s deftness in seamlessly combining the two cultures, just like the Yin and Yang symbol – each contains portions of the other and each complements the other. You can hardly tell them or pull them apart.

A lot of Chinese critics claim that BBM is a very “Chinese” film, because the Chinese are also very reserved and even repressed in expressing their emotions. My parents, for example, probably never said “I love you” to each other during their entire marriage, certainly never to me or my sister.

If you are interested, here is the link to my earlier thread discussing the Yin and Yang (black and white) colors of the cowboy hats worn by Jack and Ennis:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/nest/35341446?d=35341446#35341446

by - weewitch (Tue Feb 28 2006 03:59:45 )   

Now onto the translation of the title. I checked some sources of info and got the following impression:

* Duan Bei Shan (Brokeback Mountain) is the official title in most media coverage.

* Duan Bei Shan (or Duan Bi Shan, Broke-arm Mountain) is the popularly accepted and widely used title by the Chinese audience (and some media reports). Some unidentified sources claim that Ang Lee chose it himself, hinting at “loss of sibling (shou zu)” instead of the martial art reference given by vshwong (although that reference is also valid and convincing).

* Duan Xiu Shan (Broke-sleeve Mountain) – some voices, esp. from the gay community, half-jokingly requested this translation, referring to the most famous homosexual love story in Chinese history. Emperor Ai of the Han Dynasty (he was enthroned around 6 BC) fell in love with Dong Xian, an imperial official’s son as well as his childhood friend. One day at naptime, Dong fell asleep on the Emperor’s sleeve. Not wanting to disturb his lover, the Emperor took a sword and cut off the sleeve of his (very expensive and elaborately embroidered) regal robe.

“Duan Xiu” (pronounced dwan show) has come to symbolize homosexual love thereafter. Some sources claim that Ang Lee chose “Broke-arm” to hint at broke-sleeve. Broke-sleeve would have been too blunt, they say.

by - xiquest (Tue Feb 28 2006 08:59:55 )

A lot of Chinese critics claim that BBM is a very “Chinese” film, because the Chinese are also very reserved and even repressed in expressing their emotions.

My mum also pointed out that Jack and Ennis' plight in BBM reminded her of some Chinese period movies where a pair of lovers couldn't be together because both were married to other people - if discovered, an adulterous couple would be punished by drowning in the river (there's a Chinese term for that but i can't remember). It's similar to Jack and Ennis' situation with the conservatives.

by - vshwong (Tue Feb 28 2006 17:13:14 )

My mum also pointed out that Jack and Ennis' plight in BBM reminded her of some Chinese period movies where a pair of lovers couldn't be together because both were married to other people - if discovered, an adulterous couple would be punished by drowning in the river (there's a Chinese term for that but i can't remember). It's similar to Jack and Ennis' situation with the conservatives.

Hi xiquest, the term is probably "jin ju lung" (immersing a pig basket)... the authority ties up the person who has committed adultery and stuffs him/her into a big basket, originally used for carrying a single pig, and throws it into a river to drown.

by - weewitch (Thu Mar 2 2006 17:03:02 )

UPDATED Thu Mar 2 2006 17:03:42
This example has helped me better understand why some say that BBM is a very “Chinese” film.

One of the biggest differences between Western and Chinese cultures is what sanctions one’s behavior.

What sanctions a Westerner’s behavior is the feeling of GUILT – “I shall do no evil because God is watching me.” One examines, confesses and repents one’s wrongdoing even when no tangible authority is supervising.

What sanctions a Chinese person’s behavior is the fear of SHAME – “I can do whatever I want for as long as I don’t get caught. I shan’t do that because if I get caught, I face public humiliation and punishment.”

Throughout BBM, Ennis’s lack of action stems from his fear of “being caught.” Although both come from very religious families, Ennis and Jack don’t really display any real sense of guilt for their love affair.

I think that is why so many Chinese audience relate to this story.

The situation used to be much worse in China in the old days. In BBM, Earl’s death was probably viewed as “murder” and the local law enforcement might even have filed something, albeit they wouldn’t have bothered to investigate. In China, the “offenders” would have been paraded through the village, tortured or killed in front of the crowd as some sort of warning for the masses, all of which was endorsed and presided over by the village elders. And the tortures designed for sexual offences were much, much worse than what Ennis saw and imagined.

by - stevme (Thu Mar 2 2006 18:16:09 )   

weewtich, an interesting point, especially since Jack brings up his religious upbringing and we see the cross in the next to last scene with Jack's parents. Yet neither Jack nor Ennis talks about retribution or damnatin by their god.

It is not religious guilt that inhibits Ennis, rather, it is his fear of social reprisal. Jack throws caution to the winds and pursues Ennis, or failing that, Randall down in Texas.

Last night I watched Sense and Sensibility, another Ang Lee film, and restraint dominates the film. I also noticed wind at crucial points which bore no direct relation to the story as understood by Westerners.

by - losersticker22 (Thu Mar 2 2006 18:35:21 )

It's very interesting that Ang Lee has made a movie that has "chinese" feel to it yet it's very western. I hope he makes more movies like this. They're so meaningful.

by - starboardlight (Sun Mar 5 2006 11:39:57 )   

It's very interesting that Ang Lee has made a movie that has "chinese" feel to it yet it's very western. I hope he makes more movies like this. They're so meaningful.

it's also interesting that when Crouching Tiger came out, there were murmuring of how that Chinese film had touches of western sensibility as well.

by - Front-Ranger (Fri Mar 3 2006 13:03:31 )

Saw "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" again last night and I was struck by the similarities between the two films, especially the relationship and characterization of the two young lovers. Also the spiriting away of a personal belonging of the beloved. In CTHD, the romantic lead steals the comb of the young warrior maiden.

by - xiquest (Sun Mar 5 2006 07:21:58 )

Hi xiquest, the term is probably "jin ju lung" (immersing a pig basket)...

Yeah that's it, thanks! =)

For what it's worth, i loved Sense and Sensibility and The Ice Storm but fell asleep during Crouching Tiger. I thought Zhang Yimou's "Hero" was a much better guzhuang (period) film. Pity it didn't get as much attention in America as Crouching Tiger did.

by - Front-Ranger (Wed Mar 8 2006 08:09:02 )

I also loved Hero. It's worth seeing on many levels, but I especially remember the colors--fantastic.

by - Front-Ranger (Thu Mar 9 2006 14:14:09 )

Remember the part in Hero where the two dying lovers are embracing but facing in the same direction? It reminded me so much of the flashback scene in BBM.

by - Front-Ranger (Wed Mar 22 2006 13:49:48 )   

This is another thread about Chinese symbolism in the movie.

Front-Ranger
"There ain't no reins on this one."

by - revolution-hk 3 days ago (Thu May 11 2006 08:19:20 )   

Well, I'm Chinese, I saw this movie many times, I noticed their hats, I noticed the blue shirt, but I have not connected it with ancient Chinese culture until now...

If you guys found BBM is a very Chinese-Western-movie, you may try Fleeing By Night, IMO, it is a very Western-Chinese-movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259744/

Its about the loves story of a young actor and his admirer.

"If you can't fix it....call the support hot-line."
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40