Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3814119 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #4620 on: March 23, 2008, 05:02:39 pm »
Hi Mikaela!
Here's a link to the main HRC website.  It's actually a really interesting thing to look at to see just how many things this group works on and is involved with at any one time.  Also, there's still an advertisement about the Gala and Anne's participation on their main/ front homepage.
http://www.hrc.org/

Thank you!  :) I'll have a look.

And, I wonder exactly what that early report by People magazine... about Jake taking Heath's death harder than most... really meant. It's the only semi-concrete reporting on what might have been his actual reaction that I can recall.
I personally consider that on par with the reports he'd arrived in Australia etc - ie. I believe it to be completely bogus, made up by some reporter or journalist who wanted to be first with the news and "helped" the news along a bit by writing to confirm what everyone "knew" to be true anyway. But the real truth IMO is that there is no credible report at all about Jake's reasoning - and he himself has deliberately kept out of reach and silent. That's all we know.
That people are wondering about the reason for this silence is only to be expected, IMO. Wondering about it is not intended to trespass into private territory, even; -  the matter of whether or not to honour and pay respectful public tribute to a talented and very close colleague, gone too soon, is connected with Jake's professional life and public image and -appearance as much as anything, IMO.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #4621 on: March 23, 2008, 09:41:31 pm »
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4622 on: March 24, 2008, 06:06:05 am »
And to me, it doesn't make sense to risk alienating Brokeback fans for Jake.  Whether or not we agree with what's going on... there is a rift and turmoil in the Brokeback fan base over this.  It's just simply happened and I, for one think it's tremendously sad and perplexing.

I respectfully disagree on this, Amanda. I don't think there is a rift about it among Brokies. Different opinions - yes. But we do have different opinions on many things and that's completely fine. And if there were a rift, it would surely not be Jake's doing.
Heath's passing is an extremely sad situation with emotions running high and people feeling vulnerable. And in this, we just have to accept that people react differently to Jack's lack of reaction. Some may be disappointed by it, others find it completely understandable, others are simply curious about it. And all those emotional reactions towards Jake are justified and it's right to voice them as long as it is done in an appropriate manner.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4623 on: March 24, 2008, 06:14:50 am »
I'm asking myself when I will stop counting the weeks .... ???
Tomorrow it will be nine weeks already. More than two months and still so unbelievable at times  :(

So today I'll start the new week with a hug and a kiss for all grieving Heathens:

{{{Heathens}}  :-*

And of course with a pic, because they make me feel better (mostly).

mvansand76

« Reply #4624 on: March 24, 2008, 06:33:08 am »
I'm asking myself when I will stop counting the weeks .... ???

{{{{{Chrissi}}}}}}

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4625 on: March 24, 2008, 07:08:52 am »
(((Chrissi)))

I find much comfort and also joy in the pictures you're posting.  :) Thank you for starting the new week for us in this lovely way.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4626 on: March 25, 2008, 12:34:38 am »
Still so sad...

It is interesting to go through my day, because my life keeps rolling along, with this huge sadness sitting in my chest just waiting to pounce.
I kind myself throughout the day just shaking my head in disbelief. Anyone looking at me would wonder. But I'm getting used to the sadness and the tears. I know I won't always feel this way and maybe that is even sadder.

Heathen

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4627 on: March 25, 2008, 03:29:02 am »

I agree that Jake's silence leads to unpleasant speculation (about whether he wants to distance himself from BBM, or any number of other possible scenarios like that). 

If Jake had wanted to distance himself from BBM or associations with gayness, would he have participated in that Saturday Night Live opening monologue where he sang falsetto in a huge wig and long shimmering dress while two men in cowboy hats swooned in the front row?  Or put Heath's photo up over his bed on the set of his most recent movie, as has been reported?

It seems like those two actions would have more consequences than a respectful few sentences about Heath's passing.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4628 on: March 25, 2008, 04:17:21 am »
Thank you all for your lovely replies  :-*

Hope you liked the pic yesterday because I have two more of the same series today  :)

somehow funny

absolutely sweet and adorable

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4629 on: March 25, 2008, 09:50:43 am »

If Jake had wanted to distance himself from BBM or associations with gayness, would he have participated in that Saturday Night Live opening monologue where he sang falsetto in a huge wig and long shimmering dress while two men in cowboy hats swooned in the front row?  Or put Heath's photo up over his bed on the set of his most recent movie, as has been reported?

It seems like those two actions would have more consequences than a respectful few sentences about Heath's passing.

Heya Elle!

I don't mean to imply that I actually believe Jake wants to distance himself from BBM.  It was just one example of a somewhat negative interpretation or speculation that his silence could be construed to mean.  And, it's the kind of worry that seems to have been swirling around a bit lately.  There is a lot of tension in Brokie fandom over this, and I was just trying to articulate some of the anxieties that seem to have been generated lately.

But no, I don't personally believe Jake would want to distance himself from BBM (and I don't really think he can).  I'm still in the camp of folks who believe that Jake and Heath truly were significant best friends (and that the experience of making BBM was probably a pretty intense and unique bonding experience... the kind of filmmaking that would have particular personal impact compared to other types of roles). You're right about that report of Jake putting Heath's picture up on his movie set.  Also the fact that BBM and the promotions/ awards for BBM really weren't that long ago make all those charming pictures of Jake and Heath having fun together at BBM events still seem quite relevant.  And, I still think that Jake's role as godfather just simply must be a very important thing to consider here.  Godparents seem to have had somewhat significant roles in both Jake and Heath's upbringing.  So, I do think that it's something both Jake and Heath (and Michelle) would take very seriously...  I mean, it just simply isnt' something to take lightly (choosing someone to have a lifetime role in a child's life is important).  Essentially, Heath and Michelle made Jake an honorary family member.

So, I definitely believe that there was a deep connection between Heath and obviously BBM for Jake.  I still can't help being personally perplexed by Jake's silence in light of this.  To me, based on how I see things... Jake's closeness to Heath is what makes it confusing to me.  I'm not trying to be down on Jake (not at all... obviously here his reactions mean a great deal to me).  It's just that I personally keep waiting for Jake on this.  As I've said almost from the beginning, somehow as a Brokie I feel like I won't have a sense of "closure" about this tragedy until we hear from Jake.  That may be totally illogical and unfair even (to expect of Jake), but that's still how I feel.  And, so with this continuing waiting-phase I just keep feeling unsettled.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie