Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3892956 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5210 on: May 16, 2008, 12:29:41 pm »
The I'm Not There DVD has a tribute to Heath on it.  It sounds like the perfect treatment of a film for its admirers.  Oh James Schamus, you could take a few notes from this...

http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/dvd_review.php?id=2087

Disc One:

Audio Commentary by Director/Co-Writer Todd Haynes: Haynes is non-stop in this commentary, offering valuable knowledge on Dylan’s history, the story’s origins, inspirations, character analysis, and much, much more. A few bits are repeated on Disc Two, but not nearly enough to skip this must-listen track.

On-Screen Song Lyrics, a Song Selection, and Sneak Peeks round out Disc One.

Disc Two:

Audition Tapes (4:35): Marcus Carl Franklin’s (Woodie Guthrie) and Ben Winshaw (Arthur Rimbaud)’s are included, intercut with corresponding footage from the film.

Deleted Scenes (2:08): There are two here: ‘Silver Club Bathroom,’ which puts us back into the Factory-esque atmosphere and ‘Mrs. Baker,’ an extra scene with Billy the Kid.

Alternate/Extended Scenes (19:20): All four are for the songs Tombstone Blues, Hattie Carroll, Goin’ to Acapulco, and Pressing On.

Outtakes (4:13) offers a goofy montage of line flubs, animal antics, Todd Haynes, and more.

A Tribute to Heath Ledger (3:15) is a heart-felt video of the late actor on set, backdropped with Dylan’s ‘Tomorrow is a Long Time.’

The Red Carpet Premiere (2:41) gathers Todd Haynes and his cast at the November 13, 2007 premiere in New York City.

Making the Soundtrack (21:03): Music producers John Henry, Lee Ranaldo (of Sonic Youth), director Todd Haynes, actor Marcus Carl Franklin, and others give an inside look at the evolution of the soundtrack. Along with other topics, the men provide insight on the talent involved, updating/choosing the songs, and the rare track ‘I’m Not There,’ which hadn’t been released until last year.

A Conversation with Todd Haynes (42:31): More of a series of conversations, the director sits down to discuss his film, devoting much of the time to dissecting each character. Despite the numerous press junkets covering the same topics (though there’s no overlapping in the featurette), Haynes is enthusiastic throughout, making the 40+ minutes breeze by.

Finally, the Dylanography hosts an interesting NY Times Magazine write-up titled ‘This is Not a Bob Dylan Movie,’ Todd Hayne’s one-page letter to Dylan proposing the idea of I’m Not There (which subsequently led to the film), Discography, Filmography, Bibliography, the Filmmaker’s Notebook (with notes and storyboards), and Still Galleries.

Rounding out Disc Two is a Trailer Gallery, with two theatricals and several unreleased ‘Subterranean Homesick Blues’-inspired trailers.

I'm Not There, one of the best films of 2007, is treated to an absolutely magnificent Two-Disc Collector's Edition, with an abundance of features and information to keep an Dylan fan occupied for hours on end. Those who hate Dylan? Rent Dreamgirls, I guess.

I mentioned on the Resurrecting The Movie Thread that the commentary is one of the most intelligent and insightful I've ever listened to.  Todd Haynes gives excellent commentary!  I still haven't checked out Disc 2 so I wasn't aware of the Heath tribute, I don't think it's listed on the packaging.

And you're right, , this release really puts to shame the pathetic treatment BbM received, whether Schamus is the one responsible or not.  Yes, I'm still bitter!  Hopefully Criterion will remedy the situation, but it's rather late since Heath won't be able to participate.    >:(   But maybe by then, (2015 or so?) Jake would take the opportunity to finally make a comment about Heath's death.  ;)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5211 on: May 16, 2008, 02:11:25 pm »
I Sweden we are called Sjuksköterska, men and woman together even though it is a female word.  :laugh:
OT, but hey, you all are soooo curious about what "nurse" is in Norwegian too, I bet!  ;) ;D It used to be "Syke-søster" (søster=sister) but as most work titles have been steadily migrating towards gender-neutral words, it's now commonly "sykepleier" ("pleier" equals the German "Pfleger") for both genders.

--

I'm so impressed with the Special Edition DVDs of "I'm not there". Thank you for that information!  :)
I hope all that same material will be on the European (Region 2) discs, too. Anyone know if/when that one has been released? 
--

I think Heath (and the other stunt guy) was really courageous to jump off that cliff. It's so darn *high!*

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #5212 on: May 16, 2008, 02:53:27 pm »
I am going to have to pick up "I'm Not There" I bet it is a really good movie, but of course anything with Heath in it is good  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5213 on: May 16, 2008, 03:01:30 pm »
In English, "male nurse" has a slightly pejorative sound to it. By going out of the way to point out that a man is taking a job traditionally held by women, it seems there's a subtle hint that he's less than manly.

Generally, I'm in favor of gender-neutral job titles. Mail carrier vs. mailman, police officer vs. policeman, etc. Sometimes they get kind of awkward, like "chairperson," but so be it. ("Fisherman" is a really tough one -- the only possible substitute I've ever heard is "angler," but that's not a very familiar term.)

When I waited tables in college, it was fashionable to call us "waitrons," which we liked because it was not only gender-neutral but captured the occasionally dehumanizing robotic feeling to the job.  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5214 on: May 16, 2008, 03:42:51 pm »
I'm so impressed with the Special Edition DVDs of "I'm not there". Thank you for that information!  :)
I hope all that same material will be on the European (Region 2) discs, too. Anyone know if/when that one has been released? 
--

In UK the regular edition will be released on July, 14th. In Germany August 25th. Norway I have no idea, but (German) Amazon has it already listed for ordering in advance and they also give the information about the release date in the respective country. Try Norwegian Amazon, I bet they have it also listed.

I don't even dare to think when we will be able to get our hands on a two-disk Collectors Edition  :-X. We're green with envy as usual :-\.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #5215 on: May 16, 2008, 03:43:47 pm »
In English, "male nurse" has a slightly pejorative sound to it. By going out of the way to point out that a man is taking a job traditionally held by women, it seems there's a subtle hint that he's less than manly.

Generally, I'm in favor of gender-neutral job titles. Mail carrier vs. mailman, police officer vs. policeman, etc. Sometimes they get kind of awkward, like "chairperson," but so be it. ("Fisherman" is a really tough one -- the only possible substitute I've ever heard is "angler," but that's not a very familiar term.)

When I waited tables in college, it was fashionable to call us "waitrons," which we liked because it was not only gender-neutral but captured the occasionally dehumanizing robotic feeling to the job.  ;D

Waitron?  I never heard that before, I like it!  I usually hear SERVER, which is desriptive but I remeber when it was first introduced it felt uncomfortable close to SERVANT.

As for CHAIRPERSON, I now hear CHAIR being used more and more.  FISHER is a good alternative to FISHERMNAN but is apparently not favoured by the women who fish.  WIKI also tells me that MIDWIFE works for both sexes and that OMBUDSMAN is being replaced by OMBUDS or OMBUDSPERSON.  Of course ACTOR is now used commonly for all thespians.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5216 on: May 16, 2008, 05:14:05 pm »

In UK the regular edition will be released on July, 14th. In Germany August 25th. Norway I have no idea, but (German) Amazon has it already listed for ordering in advance and they also give the information about the release date in the respective country. Try Norwegian Amazon, I bet they have it also listed.
Thank you, Chrissi. I don't think there's a Norwegian Amazon. I use the UK one for DVDs and the US one for books.  :) There is a reason Norwegians are so fluent in English!

I don't even dare to think when we will be able to get our hands on a two-disk Collectors Edition  :-X. We're green with envy as usual :-\.

Sure enough.  :-\ I do very much hope to get to see that tribute to Heath, though. Perhaps.... :-X

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5217 on: May 16, 2008, 05:57:42 pm »
Thanks so much for that info - I've been debating about whether or not to buy it now, or to put it on the list of things to buy "when have excess money" i.e. not for awhile....

I think I'll switch it to the now list.

The I'm Not There DVD has a tribute to Heath on it.  It sounds like the perfect treatment of a film for its admirers.  Oh James Schamus, you could take a few notes from this...

http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/dvd_review.php?id=2087

Disc One:

Audio Commentary by Director/Co-Writer Todd Haynes: Haynes is non-stop in this commentary, offering valuable knowledge on Dylan’s history, the story’s origins, inspirations, character analysis, and much, much more. A few bits are repeated on Disc Two, but not nearly enough to skip this must-listen track.

On-Screen Song Lyrics, a Song Selection, and Sneak Peeks round out Disc One.

Disc Two:

Audition Tapes (4:35): Marcus Carl Franklin’s (Woodie Guthrie) and Ben Winshaw (Arthur Rimbaud)’s are included, intercut with corresponding footage from the film.

Deleted Scenes (2:08): There are two here: ‘Silver Club Bathroom,’ which puts us back into the Factory-esque atmosphere and ‘Mrs. Baker,’ an extra scene with Billy the Kid.

Alternate/Extended Scenes (19:20): All four are for the songs Tombstone Blues, Hattie Carroll, Goin’ to Acapulco, and Pressing On.

Outtakes (4:13) offers a goofy montage of line flubs, animal antics, Todd Haynes, and more.

A Tribute to Heath Ledger (3:15) is a heart-felt video of the late actor on set, backdropped with Dylan’s ‘Tomorrow is a Long Time.’

The Red Carpet Premiere (2:41) gathers Todd Haynes and his cast at the November 13, 2007 premiere in New York City.

Making the Soundtrack (21:03): Music producers John Henry, Lee Ranaldo (of Sonic Youth), director Todd Haynes, actor Marcus Carl Franklin, and others give an inside look at the evolution of the soundtrack. Along with other topics, the men provide insight on the talent involved, updating/choosing the songs, and the rare track ‘I’m Not There,’ which hadn’t been released until last year.

A Conversation with Todd Haynes (42:31): More of a series of conversations, the director sits down to discuss his film, devoting much of the time to dissecting each character. Despite the numerous press junkets covering the same topics (though there’s no overlapping in the featurette), Haynes is enthusiastic throughout, making the 40+ minutes breeze by.

Finally, the Dylanography hosts an interesting NY Times Magazine write-up titled ‘This is Not a Bob Dylan Movie,’ Todd Hayne’s one-page letter to Dylan proposing the idea of I’m Not There (which subsequently led to the film), Discography, Filmography, Bibliography, the Filmmaker’s Notebook (with notes and storyboards), and Still Galleries.

Rounding out Disc Two is a Trailer Gallery, with two theatricals and several unreleased ‘Subterranean Homesick Blues’-inspired trailers.

I'm Not There, one of the best films of 2007, is treated to an absolutely magnificent Two-Disc Collector's Edition, with an abundance of features and information to keep an Dylan fan occupied for hours on end. Those who hate Dylan? Rent Dreamgirls, I guess.

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5218 on: May 16, 2008, 08:16:25 pm »
Bet everything was checked before.
But you're right, never jump into unknown water. You should think meanwhile word has gotten around about this. Kerstin's husband is a nurse (do you say male nurse or just nurse when it's a man?) and works in a clinic for accident cases. Year after year, come summer they get people who jumped head first into shallow waters. Makes especially high paralysis. C5, C6 quadriplegia, things like that. :-\ Must be disheartening to see the same thing happen multiple times every summer.

In preview I just see Fabienne's post. Wise advise indeed. Tell your kids!

In Australia we call a male nurse "Mister" and a a female nurse "Sister." Therefore, on the ward, a male nurse would be referred to as Mister Smith (for example) by the patients, and a female nurse would be referred to as Sister Smith.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5219 on: May 16, 2008, 08:55:23 pm »
That makes me think that maybe Heath should have had a male or female nurse ??