Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9021715 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #10120 on: August 07, 2011, 11:07:33 am »
Grrr to that Chrissi.. and glad everyone is okay Chuck..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #10121 on: August 08, 2011, 07:34:26 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Here we are, back at Monday!

My cube seems to be cleaner today than in recent days, I'm very happy with that.

;D

Today's travel destination:

Pennsylvania Dutch Country, Lancaster & Berks Counties, Pennsylvania, USA

The Old Order Amish communities of southeastern Pennsylvania live much as they have for centuries, dressing in unadorned clotheing, getting around by foot or in horsedrawn buggies, ad farming with horses instead of tractors.  Visitors flock to their slowly disappearing region for its ageless charm and to buy handsewn quilts and fresh farm food.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10122 on: August 09, 2011, 07:25:53 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Hope that everyone is doing well today!   ;D

I got a surprise message on FB yesterday.  The VP of the gay & lesbian bowling league feels "out of practice" and wants to get back into shape, and has asked me if I would like to meet him for a few games soon.

Now, before anyone jumps to any conclusions, he has a partner.  :laugh:  However, it will be easier to go to the mixer at least knowing one other person there.

Neuschwanstein Castle, Fussen, Bavaria, Germany

King Ludwig II of Barvaria completed this extravagant castle, intended to look like something from a medieval fairy tale, in the 19th century, long after other monarchs had given up on battlements and turrets.  For help creating it, "Mad King Ludwig" called upon a set designer rather than an architect. 

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10123 on: August 09, 2011, 09:12:56 am »
[I got a surprise message on FB yesterday.  The VP of the gay & lesbian bowling league feels "out of practice" and wants to get back into shape, and has asked me if I would like to meet him for a few games soon.

Now, before anyone jumps to any conclusions, he has a partner.  :laugh:  However, it will be easier to go to the mixer at least knowing one other person there.

Great. Have fun! :)

Neuschwanstein Castle, Fussen, Bavaria, Germany

King Ludwig II of Barvaria completed this extravagant castle, intended to look like something from a medieval fairy tale, in the 19th century, long after other monarchs had given up on battlements and turrets.  For help creating it, "Mad King Ludwig" called upon a set designer rather than an architect. 

You might guess it ....
Been there. :)
It's not a must-see IMO though. It's nice mostly from the outside. Inside, it was never finished, and there's not much to see.
And usually soooo many tourists, long waiting lines. (IMO again) it's not worth the wait.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10124 on: August 09, 2011, 10:24:04 am »
You might guess it ....
It's not a must-see IMO though. It's nice mostly from the outside. Inside, it was never finished, and there's not much to see.
And usually soooo many tourists, long waiting lines. (IMO again) it's not worth the wait.

Can't you go to Disneyland and see the same castle?  ;D

Seriously, I think I remember reading somewhere that Sleeping Beauty's Castle was patterned on Neuschwanstein.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #10125 on: August 09, 2011, 11:08:27 am »
I loved my visit to Neuschwanstein.  It's an awesome building, and very interesting to opera lovers.  Ludwig was a patron of Richard Wagner, and there are lots of decorative details that recall the characters in his operas.  One of the bedrooms features a mural of Tristan and Isolde:

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/idea/sagas/sagen.htm
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10126 on: August 09, 2011, 02:22:27 pm »

Seriously, I think I remember reading somewhere that Sleeping Beauty's Castle was patterned on Neuschwanstein.

Yes, I'm sure I've heard that too.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10127 on: August 09, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »
I have a framed 2 ft by 3ft picture of Neuschwanstein. It hung on my dining room wall in Australia.  Now it hangs in the hall in NZ. It has the lake and the snow covered mountains behind it. I love it.  However I have only visited once back in 1974 but I go to Bavaria as often as possible which is not often enough considering it is a 24 hour flight away.  >:(

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10128 on: August 10, 2011, 08:19:43 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Hump Day!

Hope that everyone is doing well!   Work seems to finally be slowing down a bit, and I'm starting to get a clean cube again!  Leaving work a little earlier than normal, I have an appointment at 5:00, so I must leave here promptly to get there on time.

I love that people are talking about the places I post, and their experiences there!

You might guess it ....

I loved my visit to Neuschwanstein.  It's an awesome building, and very interesting to opera lovers.  Ludwig was a patron of Richard Wagner, and there are lots of decorative details that recall the characters in his operas.  One of the bedrooms features a mural of Tristan and Isolde:

OHHH....sounds like a difference of opinion!  ;D   I does sound like a very interesting site, one way or the other.

I have a framed 2 ft by 3ft picture of Neuschwanstein.  It hung on my dining room wall in Australia.  Now it hangs in the hall in NZ. It has the lake and the snow covered mountains behind it.  I love it.   However I have only visited once back in 1974 but I go to Bavaria as often as possible which is not often enough considering it is a 24 hour flight away.  >:(

Isn't that always the way, Brian?  We find somewhere that we really like or "speaks" to us, and it's an ordeal to get there because of the distance.

Yes, I'm sure I've heard that too.

Interesting!  I've never heard that before, so I went to Google.  Through them I found a quote on Wikipedia, not the most reliabe source, but here ya go!

Sleeping Beauty Castle is the fairy tale structure castle at the center of Disneyland Park and Hong Kong Disneyland. It is based on Neuschwanstein Castle,with some French inspirations (Notre Dame de Paris and the Hospices de Beaune especially).

Donosita, Basque Country, Spain

The Basque country spans the area of the Pyrenees mountains still called Euskadi in the Basque language in both Spain & France.  Coastal beaches are a summertime draw, but the region is also home to a famous cuisine and to lively and interesting cities like Bilbao, with its Guggenheim Museum, and the great Belle Epoque resort of San Sebastian. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #10129 on: August 10, 2011, 09:26:40 am »
Sleeping Beauty Castle is the fairy tale structure castle at the center of Disneyland Park and Hong Kong Disneyland. It is based on Neuschwanstein Castle,with some French inspirations (Notre Dame de Paris and the Hospices de Beaune especially).

I've been to the Hospices de Beaune, but didn't think of Disney; rather I was there for the annual wine tasting in the cellars!