Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9040225 times)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #11090 on: June 12, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »
Yes, it's run by a company in Pittsburgh, and all the tours leave from there.  Lenzner Tour and Travel is the name.  I have traveled with them before.

It sounds like a lovely trip, Debbie. I'm sure you'll have a great time.  :) I'm a little bit green with envy because it appears I won't be doing any traveling at all this summer. I'm hopeful for the fall, though.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11091 on: June 12, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »
Thanks, Jeff.

Good luck with finding something for the fall.  At least you will be cooler then, than in July.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11092 on: June 12, 2012, 09:22:55 pm »
Thanks, Jeff.

Good luck with finding something for the fall.  At least you will be cooler then, than in July.

Sure enough!  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11093 on: June 12, 2012, 09:32:20 pm »
What's the next travelling adventure for each of you?  I'm thinking I'd like to go see fireworks on the 4th (my favorite holiday) somewhere I've never been before.  I've got some googling to do.  Suggestions welcome.

What is the impetus in the marketplace for a busy banking season, Chuck?  I'm curious.

Well, it's a lot to explain....not necessarily the marketplace, just our existing clients.  The best way to explain is with BetterMost.

The fiscal year for a lot (about 95%) of our clients causes work for us in June.

Loans have a static maturity date.  A loan that matures in 2015 will be paid off in 2015, and requires very little work on my part.  A line of credit is active as long as the customer wants it.  This means it's renewed every year, and renewal season starts mid May and ends mid July.  When a line reaches maturity (6/30) the line will "lock" and the customer loses access to the funds, so there's a big crunch to get everything renewed by end of June.  However, there are quite a number of steps to go through:

Let's say that BetterMost has a loan and line of credit with my bank.  The guarantors on these facilities are Phillip, Clarissa, Paul, Meryl, and Chrissi:

I have to run an OFAC check on the name of the business (BetterMost) and all the guarantors, to determine they are not involved with possible criminal activity.

I have to run a check on BetterMost to determine there is no negative news about the company....bankruptcies, floods/fires, takeovers, things like that.

I have to run a credit check on each guarantor (Phillip, Clarissa, Paul, Meryl, and Chrissi) to find out the same information for them.

If the loan has real estate/property as collateral, I need to run flood checks to make sure the property is not in a flood zone and at risk to damage.  If it is, I need to get a copy of their flood insurance to determine they have enough coverage for any damage, so that the bank doesn't suffer a loss.

I have to review their reporting requirements as stated in their loan documents.  I need to make sure they've submitted their current taxes, financial statements, and any other financial reports they need to submit.

If all that is in order, the "deal" is submitted to our credit committee, for their review, to make sure everything is in place.  Once they give me their approval, I can then order new documents.  I contact the Documentation area, and have them prepare the necessary docs.  When they're done, they're emailed to me, and I review them to make sure they're accurate.  Correct names, addresses, interest rates, payment terms, and things like that.  When that's done, they're given to the Relationship Manager, who takes them to the customer.  Once the customer signs and returns the docs to me, I review again to make sure everything is signed properly, and then submit them to the Operations area.  They are the ones who update the computer system, which can take up to 4 business days.

Once the system is updated, I then need to review what's on the computer system, to see if they did what they were supposed to.  If not, I need to contact them to get them to make changes.

And then I get the next request and start over.

As all this is going on, I need to assist the customers with their daily activities (wires, transfers, advances, payments, check orders, copies of statements) and also work on setting up any new deals that I am given.  Right now I have two or three new deals that I need to get documented and on the system, while doing all the stuff listed above.

Whew!

As for upcoming trips, I want to go to Indianapolis in August, and UK in November.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11094 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:30 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Hope that everyone is well today!

My coworker "P" was out on Monday, came in to work yesterday to tell us her brother-in-law died, and she won't be in the rest of the week.  Busier week for me, but I hope her family is Ok.  The wake/funeral is in Michigan and "P" is driving there with her family, I hope it's an easy trip for them.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #11095 on: June 13, 2012, 10:33:57 am »
Chuck, thank you for the explanation.  The lightbulb went on for me somewhere in the middle.  Now I understand.  Do you enjoy having such a detail-oriented job?  On what percentage of "deals" do you find mistakes?  Is the person who made the mistake held accountable in some way, so they learn?  Are you rewarded in some way for catching each mistake?  Or is it all just part of the job, and everyone keeps going along as they have been?  What would it take for you to get promoted?  I've been out of the workforce for a long time, and this just interests me.

And I *do* hope you make it to the U.K. in November.  I'm considering that one as well, if finances will allow.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11096 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:43 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I will remain calm.....I will remain calm....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, yesterday was a big old day from Hell!  The morning just was one mess after the other, and then in the afternoon I had to deal with the new loan being closed.  One good thing was that with all that was going on, I had plenty of things to show the temp, to get her trained.

Whew!

Chuck, thank you for the explanation.  The lightbulb went on for me somewhere in the middle.  Now I understand.  Do you enjoy having such a detail-oriented job?  On what percentage of "deals" do you find mistakes?  Is the person who made the mistake held accountable in some way, so they learn?  Are you rewarded in some way for catching each mistake?  Or is it all just part of the job, and everyone keeps going along as they have been?  What would it take for you to get promoted?  I've been out of the workforce for a long time, and this just interests me.

And I *do* hope you make it to the U.K. in November.  I'm considering that one as well, if finances will allow.

I'm 100% sure i'll be in the UK this November.  I'm booking my tickets and hotel room this weekend, once I get paid.

I do enjoy this job, and the atmosphere at work is a relaxed and comfortable one, when it's not the busy season.

It's not often that I find mistakes, but they do occasionally happen.  When they do, it's a simple procedure to get them fixed.  I'm not 'rewarded' when I find mistakes, but when review/bonus time comes around, it's noted in my job performance.  Promotion depends on what I want.  I don't think I want to go much higher than where I am now.  If I do, it would require more education on my part, and sales goals would be put on me, which is something I don't have to worry about now, so I'm happy where I'm at.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11097 on: June 14, 2012, 09:10:29 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I will remain calm.....I will remain calm....

Serenity now! Serenity now!

:laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11098 on: June 14, 2012, 10:57:48 am »
Exciting about the UK trip.. how long do you plan to be here?

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline dejavu

« Reply #11099 on: June 14, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »
Remain calm, Chuck, remain calm...  :)

I don't think I want to go much higher than where I am now.  If I do, it would require more education on my part, and sales goals would be put on me, which is something I don't have to worry about now, so I'm happy where I'm at.

I completely understand why you wouldn't want to go higher "up the ladder."  Sales goals (or any kind of quotas) make a job really stressful.  You seem to be doing well enough where you are, and the work and atmosphere suit you.  Those are so important to your peace of mind.  You'll get your rewards and recognition when the time comes. 
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?