Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9008536 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #11370 on: October 30, 2012, 04:22:42 pm »
Just received this from my friend
But, we're going home. Our wee cottage on the Quiet Marsh on the Big Water on Rehoboth Bay is safe and sound and so are we.

I'm not whispering that news. I'm shouting it from the rooftops.

Can you hear me?

We're going home!!!!!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11371 on: October 30, 2012, 05:24:42 pm »
Yeah......have the day off Chucky, you deserve it......xx
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11372 on: October 31, 2012, 07:37:38 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Halloween and Happy Hump Day!!!

Well, the candle isn't for me.  We have full power here, never lost it.  It's for people who still don't have power, it's still unknown when they will have power.

According to our hotline, my office is still without power, so this is day 3 that the office is closed.  I'm hoping that our clients are able to get help from the customer service line.

I'll be driving to my frineds' Mike & Cor's place.  They have no power, so I'm going to pick up their laptops and phones so they can charge them.

Am really really really pleased to hear you and your family are okay. My thoughts are with those who have been affected by the storm

Yes, am also pleased. I have a friend who lives on waterfront at Rehoboath (sp?) Delaware. They evacuated on Saturday night  - 2 women and 3 dogs to friends more inland. Went back to get something Sunday morning but water already in street. While they are safe, I am worried about their house.

Just received this from my friend
But, we're going home. Our wee cottage on the Quiet Marsh on the Big Water on Rehoboth Bay is safe and sound and so are we.

I'm not whispering that news. I'm shouting it from the rooftops.

Can you hear me?

We're going home!!!!!

Yeah......have the day off Chucky, you deserve it......xx

Thanks for all the kind messages!  We are all ok here at my house, others are not as fortunate.  Brian, I'm glad to hear your friends were able to go home!  I hope they didn't have too much damage to deal with!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11373 on: October 31, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »
The damage in your surrounding area is unbelievable.....so much devatation.
Very glad that you and your family are doing ok.
We will keep our fingers crossed that things will get better weatherwise.
Take care, Chuck! :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11374 on: November 01, 2012, 08:00:28 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

November 1st is here, All Saints Day.  Hope that everyone had a safe Halloween.

The damage in your surrounding area is unbelievable.....so much devatation.  Very glad that you and your family are doing ok.  We will keep our fingers crossed that things will get better weatherwise.  Take care, Chuck! :)

Thanks darlin'!  :-*

Things continue to be a mess here.  My office is closed again, it still has no power.  I was debating going in anyway, just to get filing and stuff done, but then I saw a news story about gas shortages here in NJ.  It's not that there is no gas, but rather a large number of stations still have no power, and if there's no power, they can't pump gas.  The stations that are powered don't have enough to supply everyone, there are long lines and what little gas is there is being rationed off.

I filled my tank before the storm, and I've done very little driving since, so I still have about 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11375 on: November 01, 2012, 02:08:42 pm »
Oh my. Glad you're foresighted and were prepared!
Hope life will return to more normal soon.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11376 on: November 02, 2012, 03:00:08 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

Let me tell you about my day.

::)

This entire week we didn't have power, and so we weren't at the office.  I got up this morning at my usual time, and I called my phone in my cubicle.  Doing that on prior days, I could see the phone was out, so I could assume that the building had no power.  An hour later, I called the Emergency Hotline, and found out that our office was open and operating at usual hours.  I got dressed, and went to work.

I got to the area, and all the buildings were dark.  No street lamps or traffic lights.  Long lines for the gas stations.

I got to my office building to see that there was a huge generator, and that was what was powering the building.  ::)  I got to the building, and waved my magnetic key to get it, and got no repsonse.  It was 7:00am.  I made a few calls and did alll that I could, but there was no getting into the building.  Finally at 8:30 (yes, an hour and half later) a maintainence worker came and let us into the building.  The problem was that power was restored last night, and went out again.  When it was restored the second time, it screwed up the magnetic locks.

I got to my cube at 8:30 and turned on the computer, to see the system was down.  We couldn't use the programs we use to monitor loans, checking and savings accounts, no email, and no phones, & no heat.

I called my coworkers to give them a status so they would know not to come in just yet, and I did what I could do.  At 9:00am the system was up, and I was able to start replying to the 200 emails that accumulated in the 4 days I was away from the office.  Two hours later we had an hour long meeting via conference call with the team members who couldn't get to work either because of power issues at their homes, or shortage of gas.  Conference calll ended at 12:00.  We were deciding what to do for lunch when at 12:00, we were plunged back into darkness.  The generator had run out of gas, and was now worthless.

We walked to lunch, sat and ate together, and found that we would not be getting power back today, so we left the office at 2:30.

Total waste of a day!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11377 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:09 pm »
And for that you had to use some of your precious petrol?

What a shame.   >:(

Hopefully things are working better on Monday.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11378 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:40 pm »

I got to my cube at 8:30 and turned on the computer, to see the system was down.  We couldn't use the programs we use to monitor loans, checking and savings accounts, no email, and no phones, & no heat.

I called my coworkers to give them a status so they would know not to come in just yet, and I did what I could do.  At 9:00am the system was up, and I was able to start replying to the 200 emails that accumulated in the 4 days I was away from the office.  Two hours later we had an hour long meeting via conference call with the team members who couldn't get to work either because of power issues at their homes, or shortage of gas.  Conference calll ended at 12:00.  We were deciding what to do for lunch when at 12:00, we were plunged back into darkness.  The generator had run out of gas, and was now worthless.

This sounds like a good day in Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11379 on: November 02, 2012, 04:15:55 pm »
Oh Chucky...it seems that the aftermath of this terrible storm, holds more confusion than the storm itself, and I feel sorry for everyone over there going through similar things as they try to get back some normality to their lives.

Hopefully the weekend will give the public utilities some time to get things into some order and get some services back running.

You have done all you can possibly do, and your committment to get back to work, should be commended by your employers.

Hope things are back to normal soon....xxx
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection