Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9039050 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #11450 on: November 28, 2012, 10:05:20 am »
If you want to hear my Gay TomTom, you can hear a sample here.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-gps-voices

Just scroll down until you see a video that has the heading "Flaming Gay GPS voice".    :laugh:

I liked it!
But then, I thought they were all hilarious! :laugh: The Indian cab driver, Jesus, cussing Redneck, Arnie, etc.
If I had one of those, I might actually use my GPS more often. I'm more of a map kinda girl. If I have to go anywhere new, I go to Google maps first and really LOOK at the map, less at the description. I'm partial to maps, be it online or real ones, and I don't really trust GPS.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11451 on: November 28, 2012, 01:44:02 pm »
I'm partial to maps, be it online or real ones, and I don't really trust GPS.
So glad to hear this. My first career life was a geography teacher 1966 to 1994 and I taught map reading. I love maps and novels with maps in them Probably one reason why I like Lord of the Rings :)
I can read a map and keep a picture in my head. It would drive me crazy having a voice tell me where to go. And there have been stories about people ending up in dead ends. Here in Dunedin there is a very scenic peninsula with narrow winding roads. Regularly they have to help motor homes get out because they have followed the voice and not read the signs  about narrow roads with nowhere to reverse.

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11452 on: November 28, 2012, 03:20:15 pm »
My girlfriend and I drove to the big city in October for my annual cardiologist appointment and she
brought her GPS along for my car.  I have never driven with one and like maps, too.  She didn't  turn it on until we got into the middle of the big city.  All I could hear was an annoying women's voice say "recalculating, recalculating!"
My girlfriend started to fear for the life of her GPS when she saw my face and quickly turned it off.  I won't be buying one any time soon! >:(
And not to forget that we drive for 2 and a half hours from our small town to get to the first traffic light, I am
a stressed driver when I finally get to the big city 5 hours later.
Maybe the gay voice would work better for me. ;)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11453 on: November 28, 2012, 04:24:13 pm »
Well my GPS was a godsend....I used it when my hubby was sick and in hospital in Brisbane (the capitol city of my state). Having not driven in this big city before, and not even knowing the suburbs leading into it, I would turn on my GPS as soon as I got to the outlying suburbs (after the 2 hour drive from the small town I live in) and it would lead me to the hospital or any other place I needed to go. Eventually, I knew the course and didnt really need it, but kept it on just in case I was a little unsure.

It certainly was far easier and safer than guessing or trying to decipher road signs. I dont use it much now, but I keep it in the car in case I ever do need to. But back then, it was the best thing I ever bought.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #11454 on: November 29, 2012, 01:48:02 am »
I´ve rented a GPS together with my rental car while visiting US on a couple of occassions. This summer when I visited Wyoming, I did not.
I think they come in handy in big cities when you have to make quick questions, but are quite pointless to have when driving in Wyoming for example. I´ve made the mistake once to rely soley on a GPS and not having a back-up map - not fun when said GPS died on me and I wasn´t sure how to get back cause when you just follow your GPS you tend to not pay as much attention to road signs etc. So nowadays,when traveling, I definately prefer an ordinary map - I like the process - and challgenge - of keeping track of my travels on an ordinary map

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11455 on: November 29, 2012, 08:48:40 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Tomorrow....tomorrow....

it's payday, tomorrow!     :laugh:

Well, it seems my humor is in place, which is good considering my tired state.  I slept through the night, but kept dreaming that I couldn't sleep and kept looking at the clock.  LOL

Does anyone have any good plans for the weekend?  As of yet I don't, but I do need to make CDs for bowling night next week, it's my team's turn to supply the music.

Interesting discussions on the GPS devices....I love mine, it gets me everywhere, but like Monika said, you can become reliant on it and not recognize where you are.  I remember the first time I used it, I drove to Bay City for the Brokie bash there in 2007.  I printed directions out from Google just in case.  There was one small issue.  LOL

The directions from Google took me through Pennsylvania and Ohio up to Michigan.  The TomTom took me though NY state and the Great Lakes, but I didn't realize the directions were different until I was halfway through the trip.  Had the GPS failed, I would've been screwed.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11456 on: November 29, 2012, 09:11:14 am »
And all these discussions started just because you put "Cyber Monday" on your banner, and I bought my first Garmin, haha.  Do those voices on Skiddoo cost a fee, Chuck?  I didn't get that far; for some reason, my computer wouldn't let me listen to the gay voice.  But ANYTHING would be funner than that staid, boring woman's voice.  Haven't devirginized mine from the package yet.  Don't have car for the timebeing, so no need.

I found this phrase funny, dunno why...  ;)

get out because they have followed the voice and not read the signs  about narrow roads with nowhere to reverse.

Hmmm....., reminds me of something, somewhere.....
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11457 on: November 30, 2012, 07:34:08 am »
If you want to hear my Gay TomTom, you can hear a sample here.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-gps-voices

Just scroll down until you see a video that has the heading "Flaming Gay GPS voice".    :laugh:

Does it actually say turn around you silly!?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11458 on: November 30, 2012, 08:45:21 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Friday/Pay Day Happy Dance!

Hope that everyone is dong well!!!

No big plans this weekend, other than getting my head shaved.  ;D

I do need to burn some CDs.  This Tuesday is my team's night to supply the music for bowling, and my teammates couldn't care less about that, so it falls to me, which is great because I enjoy it.

I'm thinking a theme of "one hit wonders", from the 70s through the 90s.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11459 on: November 30, 2012, 08:46:06 am »
Does it actually say turn around you silly!?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yup!   :laugh: