Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9038265 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #11630 on: February 17, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

Keeping the same pic from yesterday, because sleeping was the order of today as well.   ;D  Tomorrow as well!  ;D

Keeping up with the Slim Fast routine over the weekend, which is impressing myself.  Usually on the weekends I just do whatever the hell I want, which is really counter-productive.  Yesterday I worked out three times, and I already have one workout done today, two more to go, one in the afternoon, and then one more at night after dinner.  Next weigh-in will be on Tuesday, it will be interesting to see what the scale says.

Very windy/chilly day here in NJ, so I'm staying indoors and catching up with stuff online.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11631 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:28 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

So when is the next three-day weekend?    :laugh:

Let's see.....Memorial Day, in May.  95 days away.   Ugh!   >:( :laugh:   Oh well, I can make myself content with the fact that I took off next Monday due to the Oscar party I'll be at this weekend.

I'm slightly annoyed at the moment......Two weeks ago we received an email regarding the carpets here.  Over this holiday weeked shampooers were coming in to completely redo the carpets, and we needed to get everything we could off the floor for this.  Of course, no one remembered, so my supervisor and I spent time on Friday walking around getting this done.

I came in this morning, the carpets don't look any cleaner to me.

>:(

The Biggest Loser continues to go well, I'm happy with that.  Just went out this morning and replenished my supply of shakes.  The Special K. ones are the same amount of calories, and taste better than the Slim Fast ones, so I'm trying those this week.

Bowling tonight, so a late night today, and grouchy morning tomorrow.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11632 on: February 19, 2013, 12:31:38 pm »
Easter (a 4 day weekend in both NZ and Australia ) starts on March 29. I think we have been down this track before. A few days ago I read that Australia is the least religious of all the western countries yet no one would dream of doing away with holidays on Good Friday and Easter Monday.
In NZ each province has its own holiday and Otago where Dunedin is located is on the 4th Monday in March so this year on March 25. However many businesses just tack it onto Easter anyway making it a 5 day weekend.  Being retired it is all academic anyway except I have to pay 10% more in cofffee shops.
However all my life Good Friday has been a day of prayer and fasting and I could not imagine working that day.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11633 on: February 19, 2013, 01:29:00 pm »
Easter (a 4 day weekend in both NZ and Australia ) starts on March 29. I think we have been down this track before. A few days ago I read that Australia is the least religious of all the western countries yet no one would dream of doing away with holidays on Good Friday and Easter Monday.

I'm not sure if we've been down this track before or not.

I do know a few countries that get off on Good Friday and Easter Monday.  We don't here in the US.  My office may close early on Good Friday, but other than that, nothing extra.

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11634 on: February 19, 2013, 03:44:19 pm »
In Canada we get Good Friday off but not Easter monday, except if you are in a Union.
We just had a new hoiliday for BC two weeks ago.....Family Day.   It's nice to have a holiday in February!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11635 on: February 19, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »
Being retired it is all academic anyway except I have to pay 10% more in cofffee shops.

Well, that sure stinks. In the U.S. retirees--or members of the AARP--often get discounts, and you're saying you have to pay more?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11636 on: February 19, 2013, 06:08:23 pm »

I do know a few countries that get off on Good Friday and Easter Monday.  We don't here in the US.  My office may close early on Good Friday, but other than that, nothing extra.

In Sweden we get Good Friday and Easter Monday off, making Easter into a 4 day weekend.

It's one of the big holidays of the year, not only in number of days. The commercial stuff is not quite as big as Xmas, but almost.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11637 on: February 20, 2013, 12:25:14 am »
Well, that sure stinks. In the U.S. retirees--or members of the AARP--often get discounts, and you're saying you have to pay more?  ???
In NZ on public holidays staff get paid time and a half (I think) so all restaurants, cafes and similar are allowed to add a 10% surcharge to their prices. Not because I am retired. I meant it is the only thing about the day that is different, every day is a holiday for me. I have not worked for a wage for nearly 4 years and that was just casual to provide pocket money.
However I now do volunteer work and worked today on our tourist train. I have to be at the station and board the train at 7am then we go out to the wharf to meet the cruise ship, board the passengers, give them orange juice and/or sparkling wine. then later tea or coffee and shortbread then free drinks until lunch when we serve a prepacked lunch plus wine finally taking them back to the wharf about 2.30pm and I got home at 4pm. I am very tired at the end and only volunteer once each week but some people do 3 or 4 ships per week. This year there are 85 cruise ships in town between October and April but I believe there will be over 100 next season. The train takes them up the scenic Taieri Gorge and they are wowed by the scenery. However the carriages are about 100 years old and narrow with high steps. I have to help the passengers up and down. Sadly they are getting bigger, certainly those from USA but increasingly those from Australia as well.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11638 on: February 20, 2013, 09:08:23 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Yup, it's mid-week already!  Nice!

Bright sunny, but breezy and cold day here in NJ.

Late night bowling last night, so I skipped my morning workout for a little more sleep time.  Update to the bowling thread to follow.

This weekend I'm at an Oscar party, so I'm gonna have to be very careful with my food intake on Sunday.  I'll make sure I eat very lightly during the day, and then try to stay away from junk food at the party, and eat the better choices.

The rugs that were supposed to be shampooed this weekend were done last night, they do look cleaner to me.  Work has been a bit on the busy side, but otherwise ok.

tell me what's up with you all?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11639 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:09 am »
In NZ on public holidays staff get paid time and a half (I think) so all restaurants, cafes and similar are allowed to add a 10% surcharge to their prices.  Not because I am retired.  I meant it is the only thing about the day that is different, every day is a holiday for me.  I have not worked for a wage for nearly 4 years and that was just casual to provide pocket money.  However I now do volunteer work and worked today on our tourist train.  I have to be at the station and board the train at 7am then we go out to the wharf to meet the cruise ship, board the passengers, give them orange juice and/or sparkling wine.  then later tea or coffee and shortbread then free drinks until lunch when we serve a prepacked lunch plus wine finally taking them back to the wharf about 2.30pm and I got home at 4pm.  I am very tired at the end and only volunteer once each week but some people do 3 or 4 ships per week.  This year there are 85 cruise ships in town between October and April but I believe there will be over 100 next season.  The train takes them up the scenic Taieri Gorge and they are wowed by the scenery.  However the carriages are about 100 years old and narrow with high steps.  I have to help the passengers up and down.  Sadly they are getting bigger, certainly those from USA but increasingly those from Australia as well.

Ah, so places to eat charge extra on holidays to cover the extra charges of the staff.  Nice.  That doesn't happen here, and I doubt that on holidays the staff are getting extra cash.  They aren't paid a decent wage anyway, so that is why "tipping" is a big deal here.  I can't imagine being a waiter, and I often think that those who do wait tables are doing it as a second job, as I can't see how they would make a living with just a waiter/waitress job.

In regards to the part I bolded above, you're noticing the weight of the passengers increasing?  I'm not surprised, obesity is becoming a very big problem.

I read an article not long ago that talked about a medical school that had to order all new cadaver tables, because the bodies that were being donated to teach med students were so obese they were breaking the tables they already had.

On a different topic....is it just me, or would Seals & Croft make a killing if they let their song be used for this product's commercial?