Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9007718 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #11860 on: April 27, 2013, 10:07:20 am »
LOL at Chrissi's and mine similar reaction to your front door!   :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11861 on: April 27, 2013, 10:50:15 am »

"Bet you could fix this place up real nice if you'd want to."   ;) 

Perfect !!!
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11862 on: April 27, 2013, 11:08:36 am »
LOL Thanks, Sue!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11863 on: April 27, 2013, 12:40:22 pm »

I was astonished when I came to America for the first time and noticed that people's front doors really led directly into the living room, just like in movies!

Remember in Brokeback, there was a little room with hooks for coats just as you're going into the little apartment over the laundromat? We typically call it the mudroom, and it is very common in the Western and Midwestern parts of the country, but in the crowded northeast, it is a luxury. There is typically a hallway outside the apartments and that's where people take off their shoes. Wet overcoats are left in the car or garage, or taken to the laundry room in the building, or hung over the shower head. More often, people in cities don't wear overcoats any more, since they go from a heated apartment to a heated car or subway to a heated office. Even here in Colorado, I see kids standing at the bus stop knee-high in snow wearing flip-flops and shorts. I had the hardest time getting my children to put on a coat. They said there was no room for such a thing in their lockers at school.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11864 on: April 27, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »
Remember in Brokeback, there was a little room with hooks for coats just as you're going into the little apartment over the laundromat?

You're right! Hadn't thought of that.

We typically call it the mudroom, and it is very common in the Western and Midwestern parts of the country, but in the crowded northeast, it is a luxury. There is typically a hallway outside the apartments and that's where people take off their shoes. Wet overcoats are left in the car or garage, or taken to the laundry room in the building, or hung over the shower head.

This all makes sense.

More often, people in cities don't wear overcoats any more, since they go from a heated apartment to a heated car or subway to a heated office. Even here in Colorado, I see kids standing at the bus stop knee-high in snow wearing flip-flops and shorts. I had the hardest time getting my children to put on a coat. They said there was no room for such a thing in their lockers at school.

:o :o :o

Thanks for all the info, Lee!!

One more thing below:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11865 on: April 27, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

Daddy Chuckie, you need more furniture.

;) :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11866 on: April 27, 2013, 02:45:11 pm »
LOL at Chrissi's and mine similar reaction to your front door!   :laugh:

LOL indeed. I was thinking Whut? when reading your post, but this one explains it. :laugh:
Great minds and all that. :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11867 on: April 27, 2013, 05:31:23 pm »
My neighbors to the right.

Perfect neighbors for a guy in love with zombie flicks!  ;D

Sonja beat me to the Brokeback quotes, but it got me to thinkin' out loud:

Chuck del Mar wakes before five, wind rocking his parents' house, hissing in around the aluminum door and window frames.  The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.  He gets up....pulls on his shirt and jeans, his worn boots, stamping the heels against the floor to get them full on.  The wind booms down the curved length of his SUV....It could be bad on the Garden State Parkway.  He has to be packed and into the new place that morning....the landlord dropping the keys in Chuck's hand and saying, "Got 'em from the real estate shark, I'm out a here."  He might have to sit on some boxes til he packs up another load, but he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Brokeback was in his dream.

The stale coffee is boiling up but he catches it before it goes over the side, pours it into a stained cup and blows on the black liquid, lets a panel of the dream slide forward.  If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when Brokies owned the world and nothing seemed wrong....

Chuck, I swear.   :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11868 on: April 27, 2013, 06:13:46 pm »
Oh Priestess, that's lovely!!  :-*

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11869 on: April 29, 2013, 08:22:23 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Whoa!  Did a lot over the new place this weekend, and the lease was only signed on Friday.  LOL   :laugh:

Went into it and gave it a good cleaning to get all the dust out of the corners and from on top of cabinets, scrubbed the bathroom, and then the real work began.  My brothers and I moved my bed and bedroom dressers into the new bedroom, took three free-standing bookshelves into the living room, a small computer desk from the basement, and all the stuff I had boxed and ready to go.

Yesterday I put together a TV table, two small end tables, packed away all my kitchen stuff, put away some food in the cabinets, and decorated the kitchen.

The shower curtain rod is in the bathroom, I'm waiting for my curtain to arrive.

Today I call Comcast to schedule an appointment to have the cable/internet service hooked up, and tonight i'm going shopping to look at sofa beds and chairs, and get a coffee table.

Once those three things arrive, I can arrange my bookshelves, get curtians for the windows, bring my CDs and DVDS over, and hang the animation cels, and I think I'll be done.

Yeehaw!

OMG!  I sooooo need that for my apartment door!  Something new to shop for....a Western Welcome sign!

Does the fridge come with the place?.......is that normal?......certainly saves buying one and lugging it in the move...

Also, it might be an idea to change the locks and get new keys, just to be on the safe side and for your peace of mind.

Do you do a written inspection of the place before you move in?.....its a good idea to photograph and log anything you might be blamed for or charged for if and when you ever move out....

The fridge and oven/stove were here already, so that's not a worry for me.  My brother went around with a camera and took pics of everything, so that was taken care of too.

Wow Chuck thats fantastic place!! It looks great but will look better when you and your gear is inside. You have so much cupboard space and many closets in the bedroom - I can see a shopping spree is in order!!

Have a great day shifting in and making it home

Yaow buddy!  I'm very psyched and the "shift" is taking place as we speak.  ;D

Yes congrats Chuck! The place looks great and quite spacious too. A big blank canvas for you to paint with colors and memories

Hiya Monika!  ;D  I'm looking forward to putting my own "stamp" on the place.  It will be more reflective of me once I have all the little touches done.

So American! The entry door leads directly into the living room. I remember when I started noticing this in US movies and TV series. Always found it very, very strange, and still do. :laugh: In Germany the entry door leads to a corridor, even if it's only a small one.

I was astonished when I came to America for the first time and noticed that people's front doors really led directly into the living room, just like in movies!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Just one more difference, huh?  That's ok, the similarites outweigh them!

Yay!

;D  Oh yeah, lots of "Yaaaaaaaaaays!"

Remember in Brokeback, there was a little room with hooks for coats just as you're going into the little apartment over the laundromat? We typically call it the mudroom, and it is very common in the Western and Midwestern parts of the country, but in the crowded northeast, it is a luxury. There is typically a hallway outside the apartments and that's where people take off their shoes. Wet overcoats are left in the car or garage, or taken to the laundry room in the building, or hung over the shower head.

Hiya Lee!  I had never head of the term 'mud room'!  Thanks for sharing that bit of information.  I do need to get some sort of mat for the front door of the apartment, and I assume that anyone with wet shoes can leave them just outside, or I can get a small bin for people to put wet shoes in.

Perfect neighbors for a guy in love with zombie flicks!  ;D

NO ZOMBIES!!!!   :laugh:

Sonja beat me to the Brokeback quotes, but it got me to thinkin' out loud:

Chuck del Mar wakes before five, wind rocking his parents' house, hissing in around the aluminum door and window frames.  The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.  He gets up....pulls on his shirt and jeans, his worn boots, stamping the heels against the floor to get them full on.  The wind booms down the curved length of his SUV....It could be bad on the Garden State Parkway.  He has to be packed and into the new place that morning....the landlord dropping the keys in Chuck's hand and saying, "Got 'em from the real estate shark, I'm out a here."  He might have to sit on some boxes til he packs up another load, but he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Brokeback was in his dream.

The stale coffee is boiling up but he catches it before it goes over the side, pours it into a stained cup and blows on the black liquid, lets a panel of the dream slide forward.  If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when Brokies owned the world and nothing seemed wrong....

Chuck, I swear.   :-*

Very cool Meryl!  However, I won't be serving stale coffee to guests!  They will have to make their own though!  I have a coffee maker, but I dont' drink coffee, so I won't know how to make it "good".  LOL  Anyone who stays with me, I'll have the supplies, but prep work is your own!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!