Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9018710 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #12290 on: August 11, 2013, 08:25:45 pm »

Hello Bettermost friends!

*looks at clock*

Ok, so it's Sunday night, not morning, and in 90 minutes I'll be heading for bed. Hope that everyone had a good day!  Had a good lunch with the family, got the laundry done, just got done making the bed with fresh sheets so I can sleep.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12291 on: August 11, 2013, 08:28:28 pm »
You've had a busy blog Chuck!

My week is punctuated with a Wednesday and Sunday band practice. And of course work. On a Monday morning I go to a class with Naylan. I used to do an exersice lass on a Monday also but I haven't been able to do that since having Naylan. I d need to get back into a proper fitness routine though.

I'm glad when I have a busy blog!  I enjoy reading the posts of my friends!  Good luck getting back into the fitness routine, I've just managed to jump start mine as well.  I've REALLY been lagging off on it.

Hope you're having a nice relaxing Sunday, Chuck. :)  So far for me.... it's 2 pm, I'm still in my pajamas, and Vivien is sleeping on my lap.  Life is good.  8)

Enjoy a nice red velvet latte!

I'm not a latte fan, but I think I would have to at least try that!  LOL   I wasn't quite as relaxed as you were today, but I was that way on Saturday, so I can't complain.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12292 on: August 11, 2013, 08:30:51 pm »
August 11th, 12th, and 13th marks the 7th anniversary of the big Texas Brokie meet-up, that we called the BBM Backyard BBQ.  I still can't believe it all happened seven years ago on these dates.

I had wondered if there would be a big "Brokie bash" as I called it to myself.  I had been a member to various forums, so I was an 'old hand' of meeting strangers on the 'net.  It didn't take long for smaller gatherings to take place, I attended a few of these small ones in NYC.

Then the day came when discussions began about a big gathering for "all" of us to meet.  Of course, 'all' of us meeting would be pretty much impossible, but discussion had started.  Finally, the dates were picked, and the location (Linda's backyard) was in place.  I remember when I contacted her about it.  I said:

"Texas in August......110 degrees?   You can put me down as a 'yes' but don't be disappointed if there isn't a big turn out."   I had NO idea how big it would actually get.  We ended up with Brokies from all across the US, Italy, UK, Netherlands, Finland, Australia....it just amazed me all these people were saying "Yes".

The night before the gathering, I was so excited I didn't sleep well, I got up early, showered, ate, and put on the TV.    My flight was scheduled for the day before (10th) to leave here at 9:00 and land in San Antonio at noon.  News stories were starting about a bombing attempt in the UK, the terrorist trying to smuggle it on board in his shoe.  My neighbor, who was also traveling, offered to give me a lift to the airport early.  I grabbed my bags with no hesitation and ran.

I was able to check in no problem, but everyone who was traveling that day rushed to the airport as well, and security was overwhelmed.  My bags made my flight, but I didn't.  I was re-booked to connecting flights, and that got cancelled.  I was re-booked again and the first flight took off.  Once there, TSA decided to do a random bag check on this flight, and I landed in Houston an hour late, missed my connecting flight.  I was re-booked to a flight from Houston to San Antonio, landing at midnight. By that point, I had either been in the air or in airports from 6am to midnight the same day.

::) :D :D

I stumbled off the plane, and went to find my bags, which arrived at noon.  I grabbed the bag and suddenly there is a tap on my shoulder, and I hear "Hello Faithful Friend".  I turn and see Jackie (Painted Shoes) standing there, and she receives a hug from a very tired traveler.

A quick drive to the hotel, and I fall asleep immediately.  After breakfast I head over to Linda's place to do what I can to help with set-up and to meet everyone.

I could go on and on about everything that went on that weekend.   The food, the drinks, the dancing, the laughing, the Marcarena, watching the movie in Linda's living room, pictures, getting smooshed in the face with squirty cream, a bracelet as a gift from a Brokie, Jimmy's ceramic set that I was given, tossing a cow to Sal, hugs to everyone, people wanting to hold Tootsie,  Linda and the stick,  key lime pies, the accents, and so so so much more.

The good-byes were heart-wrenching.  I remember when it was time for me to go, and as I walked around, I was sobbing as I was saying good-bye.

There is a saying that "ignorance is bliss" and while I don't mean to imply that we were ignorant, but we were definitely in a state of bliss, and that led us to put each other (and ourselves) on pedestals, and we really idealized each other.  We were the ones who "got it" and it was perfect.

We weren't prepared for what came after, when the bliss wore off and we were smacked in the face by reality, and that reality was that while we were connected by this movie and our reaction to it, there were many other aspects to our lives that made us very different.  There were disagreements, political issues, and basic beliefs that pushed some of us apart while the movie pulled us together.

There are some people who I no longer speak to, either by my choice, or theirs.  There are others who simply just disappeared, which is not uncommon when it comes to the internet.

There are also those that we lost....not all attendees of the BBQ, but Brokies nonetheless.... Painted Shoes, Osprey, Rodney, Kitty Hawk, LoneLeeB3 & Shasta, and others who are, as the song from the Meet Me On The Mountain CD says, "Glory Bound", gone, but not forgotten.

Those who I'm not in touch with, I do miss, and it is my greatest hope that life has been kind to them.  Facebook has helped me reconnect with some of them.

The BBM Backyard BBQ started my traveling, it was one of the 15 states I had been to since seeing the movie, and I've also been to 5 countries.

I've since been to numerous gatherings, and I've learned things at all of them, and grown as a person.

Brokeback Mountain woke me up, and the BBQ set me off on a path that has been a true roller-coaster of friendships, relationships, excitement, disappointment, laughter, tears, and most of all, and most importantly, love.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12293 on: August 11, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »
Wonderful message, friend. Not going to the first BBQ is one of my regrets. I could have gone but I said, Central Texas in August? Nah... But then I went to Upper Michigan in February. Go figure!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12294 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:09 pm »
Wow!  Thanks for sharing those memories and the great photo!  I'm with Lee, I'm sad I missed that great early meet-up.  I'm so happy I was able at least to make it the large gathering at Estes Park.  I can't believe how much time has gone by since those early days.

Very nostalgic!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12295 on: August 12, 2013, 08:14:35 am »
Hello Bettermost friends!

How is everyone today?

Today is my "Thursday".   :laugh:  Tomorrow night is the "Sail Rock" concert I'm going to, and I took off Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  It will just be a "stay-cation", but I'll get to some chores around the apartment, small repairs and such.

How are you all?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12296 on: August 12, 2013, 08:17:16 am »
Wonderful message, friend. Not going to the first BBQ is one of my regrets. I could have gone but I said, Central Texas in August? Nah... But then I went to Upper Michigan in February. Go figure!

Wow!  Thanks for sharing those memories and the great photo!  I'm with Lee, I'm sad I missed that great early meet-up.  I'm so happy I was able at least to make it the large gathering at Estes Park.  I can't believe how much time has gone by since those early days.

Very nostalgic!

Hiya Lee & Amanda!!!

Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you liked the post!  Lee, If I remember correctly when we referred to the Texas BBQ we would say "You'll sweat your ass off!" and Bay City became "You'll freeze your ass off!"

:laugh:

Each gathering has had a positive effect on me, I'm grateful for them all!  Oh, May of 2014 marks the 7th anniversary of the Colorado bash!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:36:59 am by CellarDweller »

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12297 on: August 12, 2013, 08:53:10 am »
Oh Chucky, reading your story about the BBQ makes it so easy to feel the atmosphere and love that was all around, and i can nearly hear all the different accents swirling around.

Yes I too, have always thought we are a privileged group, because we did "get it" and proudly said we did.

It never ceases to amaze me, the connection, that all us strangers came together, and now we know more about each other than people in our real life....all I can say, is that it is a pleasure and a precious gift to be part of this fraternity.Its been a wonderful journey.

Enjoy your stay-cation...its nice having some days off through the week, charges the batteries, and gets things done.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12298 on: August 12, 2013, 11:20:27 am »
Oh, I plan to Sue!    ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12299 on: August 12, 2013, 11:22:28 am »
We have a report that comes out weekly called "The Exception Report", which tracks financial and collateral exceptions for our team.

Say Company ABC has a loan with us, that has real estate for collateral.  They need to supply us with financial reports on a quarterly basis, as well as updated insurance for their property.  If what we have expires and they don't supply us with new ones, they become "exceptions" and appear on this report, and it's my job to clear them.

When tax season ends the exceptions skyrocket, because everyone owes us their new tax returns and financial statements.

I've talked before about Maria being out on vacation, and my personal goal was to get the team down to under 100 exceptions by the time she gets back.  She comes back to work next Tuesday (14th).  When I left work on Friday we had a total of 106 exceptions, I had managed to clear twenty in just one week.  I thought getting to 100 would be a piece of cake.

I pulled the report yesterday, and we ended up with a new total of 133.  :o  ::)   I have some of what I need to clear them, but now I don't know if I'll be able to make my goal of under 100 by next Tuesday.

Well, I worked my butt off last week, and I'm happy to report that as of today, the total exceptions read as 84!  ;D  I was able to clear 49 exceptions!!!!

I'm sure they'll go back up soon, but for this week, they're at 84, so Maria will see that when she comes back on Wednesday!