Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9026368 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #12320 on: August 16, 2013, 09:19:20 am »
I have a few Yankee candles too, the scent of Vanilla Cupcake...I burned them for a bit last night, smelled soooo good.

I like the ones that smell like apple pie or pumpkin pie.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12321 on: August 16, 2013, 12:27:55 pm »
They do make some good scents, don't they?   I like the ones that smell like desserts I'd want.....key lime pie, Christmas Cookies, things like that.

Over the last holiday, they had this scent.

I never got it, but I smelled it in the store, it was JUST like a red velvet cake.   Sooooo good.   I plan on getting some the upcoming holiday season.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12322 on: August 16, 2013, 04:57:23 pm »
Very cool recollection Chuck!

I think the only people I 'know' in the photo are you and eric & Adam ? And do i see Fritz & Jeff too?

I recognise Jackie (painted shoes) but only from photos you have posted since her death. And the girl in the red cowboy hat top right, I think I recognise her from meet photos.. she comes along to NY gatherings quite a lot.. her screen name is on the tip of my tounge!

August 11th, 12th, and 13th marks the 7th anniversary of the big Texas Brokie meet-up, that we called the BBM Backyard BBQ.  I still can't believe it all happened seven years ago on these dates.

I had wondered if there would be a big "Brokie bash" as I called it to myself.  I had been a member to various forums, so I was an 'old hand' of meeting strangers on the 'net.  It didn't take long for smaller gatherings to take place, I attended a few of these small ones in NYC.

Then the day came when discussions began about a big gathering for "all" of us to meet.  Of course, 'all' of us meeting would be pretty much impossible, but discussion had started.  Finally, the dates were picked, and the location (Linda's backyard) was in place.  I remember when I contacted her about it.  I said:

"Texas in August......110 degrees?   You can put me down as a 'yes' but don't be disappointed if there isn't a big turn out."   I had NO idea how big it would actually get.  We ended up with Brokies from all across the US, Italy, UK, Netherlands, Finland, Australia....it just amazed me all these people were saying "Yes".

The night before the gathering, I was so excited I didn't sleep well, I got up early, showered, ate, and put on the TV.    My flight was scheduled for the day before (10th) to leave here at 9:00 and land in San Antonio at noon.  News stories were starting about a bombing attempt in the UK, the terrorist trying to smuggle it on board in his shoe.  My neighbor, who was also traveling, offered to give me a lift to the airport early.  I grabbed my bags with no hesitation and ran.

I was able to check in no problem, but everyone who was traveling that day rushed to the airport as well, and security was overwhelmed.  My bags made my flight, but I didn't.  I was re-booked to connecting flights, and that got cancelled.  I was re-booked again and the first flight took off.  Once there, TSA decided to do a random bag check on this flight, and I landed in Houston an hour late, missed my connecting flight.  I was re-booked to a flight from Houston to San Antonio, landing at midnight. By that point, I had either been in the air or in airports from 6am to midnight the same day.

::) :D :D

I stumbled off the plane, and went to find my bags, which arrived at noon.  I grabbed the bag and suddenly there is a tap on my shoulder, and I hear "Hello Faithful Friend".  I turn and see Jackie (Painted Shoes) standing there, and she receives a hug from a very tired traveler.

A quick drive to the hotel, and I fall asleep immediately.  After breakfast I head over to Linda's place to do what I can to help with set-up and to meet everyone.

I could go on and on about everything that went on that weekend.   The food, the drinks, the dancing, the laughing, the Marcarena, watching the movie in Linda's living room, pictures, getting smooshed in the face with squirty cream, a bracelet as a gift from a Brokie, Jimmy's ceramic set that I was given, tossing a cow to Sal, hugs to everyone, people wanting to hold Tootsie,  Linda and the stick,  key lime pies, the accents, and so so so much more.

The good-byes were heart-wrenching.  I remember when it was time for me to go, and as I walked around, I was sobbing as I was saying good-bye.

There is a saying that "ignorance is bliss" and while I don't mean to imply that we were ignorant, but we were definitely in a state of bliss, and that led us to put each other (and ourselves) on pedestals, and we really idealized each other.  We were the ones who "got it" and it was perfect.

We weren't prepared for what came after, when the bliss wore off and we were smacked in the face by reality, and that reality was that while we were connected by this movie and our reaction to it, there were many other aspects to our lives that made us very different.  There were disagreements, political issues, and basic beliefs that pushed some of us apart while the movie pulled us together.

There are some people who I no longer speak to, either by my choice, or theirs.  There are others who simply just disappeared, which is not uncommon when it comes to the internet.

There are also those that we lost....not all attendees of the BBQ, but Brokies nonetheless.... Painted Shoes, Osprey, Rodney, Kitty Hawk, LoneLeeB3 & Shasta, and others who are, as the song from the Meet Me On The Mountain CD says, "Glory Bound", gone, but not forgotten.

Those who I'm not in touch with, I do miss, and it is my greatest hope that life has been kind to them.  Facebook has helped me reconnect with some of them.

The BBM Backyard BBQ started my traveling, it was one of the 15 states I had been to since seeing the movie, and I've also been to 5 countries.

I've since been to numerous gatherings, and I've learned things at all of them, and grown as a person.

Brokeback Mountain woke me up, and the BBQ set me off on a path that has been a true roller-coaster of friendships, relationships, excitement, disappointment, laughter, tears, and most of all, and most importantly, love.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12323 on: August 16, 2013, 06:42:28 pm »
They do make some good scents, don't they?   I like the ones that smell like desserts I'd want.....key lime pie, Christmas Cookies, things like that.

Over the last holiday, they had this scent.

Oh, who said KEY LIME PIE.....that sent my taste buds into an anxiety attack......I remember going to stay at Dev's when I went over there, and she said...."you must try key lime pie"...(I had never heard of it).....so I tried it....and tried it again, and again and again.....mmmmmmmm scrumptious, heavenly, yummy......yeah I just kept trying it..... ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12324 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:30 am »
Sue, I went and bought a mix at the store after you mentioned that during your visit in '09.  Was all set to post it over to you when you told me you were kinda useless in the kitchen.  I whipped it up myself, and it was NOTHING compared to the delicate consistency and flavor and total mouth sensation that you get in fine restaurants.  Is it not served ANYWHERE in your big giant country? Or perhaps in Vietnam?  I didn't realize it was just an American thing, hmmm....
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12325 on: August 17, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »
Sue, I went and bought a mix at the store after you mentioned that during your visit in '09.  Was all set to post it over to you when you told me you were kinda useless in the kitchen.  I whipped it up myself, and it was NOTHING compared to the delicate consistency and flavor and total mouth sensation that you get in fine restaurants.  Is it not served ANYWHERE in your big giant country? Or perhaps in Vietnam?  I didn't realize it was just an American thing, hmmm....

Oh I'm so glad you liked MY pie Mandy...... :o

They may have them in restaurants here, but they dont have them in supermarkets, we can get lemon meringue pie in supermarkets, and various cheese cakes, but not KEY LIME PIE.

I think too, the name KEY lime pie may be unique to America.....I'm not sure what the KEY bit means, I thought it had something to do with the Florida Keys, or am I wrong....is there a lime called KEY??....

Anyway, thanks for the kind thought, matey, I probably couldn't have made one like the ones in the restaurant anyway
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12326 on: August 17, 2013, 06:50:38 pm »
And the girl in the red cowboy hat top right, I think I recognise her from meet photos.. she comes along to NY gatherings quite a lot.. her screen name is on the tip of my tounge!

No, that's not who you think it is, she's only been to three of the gatherings, the last one was Bay City in 2007.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12327 on: August 17, 2013, 06:56:08 pm »
They may have them in restaurants here, but they dont have them in supermarkets, we can get lemon meringue pie in supermarkets, and various cheese cakes, but not KEY LIME PIE.

I think too, the name KEY lime pie may be unique to America.....I'm not sure what the KEY bit means, I thought it had something to do with the Florida Keys, or am I wrong....is there a lime called KEY??....

Hiya Sue!

There is a difference between a lime and a key lime.

The larger one is a lime, the smaller a key lime.  The Key Lime comes from the Florida Keys area, hence the name.  They have a more tart and acidic flavor than a regular lime.  You can make a pie with limes, but the taste and texture will be different.  Those who have tried say that they are not satisfied with using limes, and must use Key Limes.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12328 on: August 17, 2013, 10:04:09 pm »
The Key Lime comes from the Florida Keys area, hence the name.  They have a more tart and acidic flavor than a regular lime.  You can make a pie with limes, but the taste and texture will be different.  Those who have tried say that they are not satisfied with using limes, and must use Key Limes.

I'm just getting ready to make a key lime pie tomorrow! Yes, I agree, the taste of key limes is, well, key, and you can't substitute ordinary limes! I don't know if this is cheating, but I buy key lime juice. It makes the process a lot easier because key limes are not very juicy!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12329 on: August 19, 2013, 08:28:36 am »
Hello Bettermost friends!

Yup, here I am, back at work!    :laugh:

I was only off for three days, and there is a decent sized pile of stuff for me to follow-up on, and 150 emails waiting in my inbox.

::)

It's enough to make you wonder if it's even worth taking time off.   I managed to plow through all the emails, send out the replies that needed to be, and waiting on follow-up for others.

Oh, and the candy jars here are EMPTY!  :laugh:  I guess no one refilled them while I was out, so I have to do that too.