Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9049643 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #12490 on: October 25, 2013, 04:19:32 pm »
Something new to hang up in my kitchen.

;D

Two of the guys I've become friends with on the bowling league made me this decorative tray.

I'll be hanging it up on the wall of the kitchen when I get back from Boston this weekend.

What a lovely gift!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12491 on: October 25, 2013, 06:56:32 pm »
Over hear, Baby Showers are definitely becoming more popular. Was never a thing even 5 years ago but I had a surprise baby shower, and its really an excuse for a get together before the baby comes and to play a few silly party games and eat cakes... no boys allowed though! I did get presents at the shower but these tended to be small mindings.

Over hear people think its bad luck to have prams in the house before the baby is born for some reason.. so my Mum kept Naylan's pram at hers until he was born - she was insistent!

There was a news article recently about the Finnish set up. Kids in Finland sleep in a cardboard box for a few months which is provided by the state -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415

Anyway! Off the baby topic! Hello Chuck.. sorry I've been lax at coming around laterly but now I'm all caught up.. I have just made up some Halloween bags 30 or so) all ready for next Thursday and the kids I expect to arrive at my doorstep! As Suse says, I need to see this grown up mousekeeter costume!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12492 on: October 26, 2013, 05:17:32 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415

Anyway! Off the baby topic!

Have to go back to the baby topic for a moment:
What a wonderful thing the baby box is! :D

From the article:
We now live in Helsinki and have just had our second child, Annika. She did get a free box from the Finnish state. This felt to me like evidence that someone cared, someone wanted our baby to have a good start in life. And now when I visit friends with young children it's nice to see we share some common things. It strengthens that feeling that we are all in this together.

I know such a box can't solve the world's problems, but just imagine all pregnant women in the world getting such a box. Wow. Think of all the teenage moms in the US, often coming from poor backgrounds themselves and with no social net worth the name. Think of really poor countries, developping countries. Such a box can't provide equality of opportunity in the long run, of course. But it can be such a big help and a wonderful symbol at the beginning of a new life.
Imagine all the Christian charities giving out such boxes instead of putting millions in anti-sex and anti-abortion campaigns (keep the bible out of and the condoms in the boxes!). Now that would be real, selfless charity and could prevent abortions maybe as good as all your campaigns.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #12493 on: October 26, 2013, 05:33:05 am »
I learned about the Finnish baby box only recently, about a year ago. Such a great idea!

It started in the 1930s, to decrease infant mortality. Finland was a poor country back then, and the box from
the government provided all babies with a starting kit that would equal out the difference between rich and poor babies' start in life.

Here's a list of the content of the box today (from the article):

Mattress, mattress cover, undersheet, duvet cover, blanket, sleeping bag/quilt
Box itself doubles as a crib
Snowsuit, hat, insulated mittens and booties
Light hooded suit and knitted overalls
Socks and mittens, knitted hat and balaclava
Bodysuits, romper suits and leggings in unisex colours and patterns
Hooded bath towel, nail scissors, hairbrush, toothbrush, bath thermometer, nappy cream, wash cloth
Cloth nappy set and muslin squares
Picture book and teething toy
Bra pads, condoms

Nice present from the government, eh?   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12494 on: October 26, 2013, 06:51:24 am »
In Australia, the government gives you $5,000 for your first child and $3,000 for second or more child....it is paid in 13 payments every two weeks ....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12495 on: October 26, 2013, 08:37:14 am »

Have to go back to the baby topic for a moment:
What a wonderful thing the baby box is! :D

From the article:
We now live in Helsinki and have just had our second child, Annika. She did get a free box from the Finnish state. This felt to me like evidence that someone cared, someone wanted our baby to have a good start in life. And now when I visit friends with young children it's nice to see we share some common things. It strengthens that feeling that we are all in this together.

I know such a box can't solve the world's problems, but just imagine all pregnant women in the world getting such a box. Wow. Think of all the teenage moms in the US, often coming from poor backgrounds themselves and with no social net worth the name. Think of really poor countries, developping countries. Such a box can't provide equality of opportunity in the long run, of course. But it can be such a big help and a wonderful symbol at the beginning of a new life.
Imagine all the Christian charities giving out such boxes instead of putting millions in anti-sex and anti-abortion campaigns (keep the bible out of and the condoms in the boxes!). Now that would be real, selfless charity and could prevent abortions maybe as good as all your campaigns.

Its a fab box :)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12496 on: October 28, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »
Back from Boston, had a great time!  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12497 on: October 28, 2013, 10:55:13 pm »
Received another gift for the apartment, this one for the bathroom.  ;D

A Brokie (my big bro Paul) gave me this for the bathroom.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12498 on: October 29, 2013, 03:47:42 am »
Received another gift for the apartment, this one for the bathroom.  ;D

A Brokie (my big bro Paul) gave me this for the bathroom.

;D

:o
Is it a towel?

You got this from Paul? That's true love. Brokies are best! :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12499 on: October 29, 2013, 05:01:04 am »
Hey Chuckie, I can't see much but black on your avatar. Snatched it from your FB wall and brightened it up.