Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8955695 times)

Online CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #13150 on: August 14, 2014, 06:12:20 pm »
Hello Bettermost friends!

Well, since I'm not a big drinker, I don't do "Thirsty Thursday"!  LOL

better day at work today,  thankfully.  I'm still a little tired, but slept better than the night before.  Work went well and everything seems to be flowing nicely.  :)

How is everyone else?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #13151 on: August 15, 2014, 07:57:54 pm »

I hope that everyone is enjoying their Friday.

I got a phone call about 10:30 this morning from Paula, a very good friend to Margaret, the coworker I've talked about in the past who left due to medical issues.  Margaret passed away last night, at home with her family.

Margaret was one of the coworkers who trained me for the job I have now.  She was smart, funny, and always shot from the hip, saying just what she felt, and never hid her feelings about anything.

She celebrated her 60th birthday with us on the job, and worked with me and my team from 1997 until 2011 at age 62, when she had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. By the time it was discovered, she was near stage 4.

She did live long enough to see her first grandchild (a girl) be born, and got to enjoy her first birthday.

RIP Margaret.  Your smarts and humor will be missed.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13152 on: August 16, 2014, 01:24:58 am »
I'm sorry for your loss, Chuckie.

How sad for her family  :(

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #13153 on: August 16, 2014, 11:58:47 pm »

How was everyone's Saturday?

I was over friends' house today, for a dinner party, but we weren't dressed quiet so formally as those above.

LOL

I do love that picture, so very '50s homey' type of image!  LOL  Love the guy in the far right showing off the record.

The morning was spent doing laundry, so tomorrow I can relax, I just have to do some quick shopping.  ;D

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #13154 on: August 16, 2014, 11:59:37 pm »
I'm sorry for your loss, Chuckie.

How sad for her family  :(

Thanks darlin'.

Her family is respecting her wishes, there will be no wake or funeral.  A memorial service will be held after the fact, in about three weeks or so.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #13155 on: August 18, 2014, 05:43:54 pm »

How was your Monday?

I had to go to jury duty today, so I wasn't at work.  I wasn't called for a case, and unfortunately, I have to go back tomorrow.  ::)

I'm hoping I don't get picked, I have crap to do at work! 

It was nice to sleep in a little later, however.  :)

So how are you all?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13156 on: August 19, 2014, 09:10:48 am »
You should have worn your pearls. That would have kept you from being picked for sure.  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #13157 on: August 19, 2014, 07:26:35 pm »

Yup, I was selected to sit on a jury.  I'll be there tomorrow and Thursday, and most likely Monday deliberations will start.

Ugh.

I was dismissed at 3:45 today, so I drove up to my office to tie up loose ends on things there.  I was there until 7ish, but at least stuff is done.

Now I can just do what I need to at court, and then catch up again on Friday when I go back to work.

You should have worn your pearls. That would have kept you from being picked for sure.  8)

::)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13158 on: August 19, 2014, 10:04:33 pm »
How does pay for jury duty work in the US? 
In Australia I twice had to front up for jury duty but was never selected. I therefore just lost one day's work each time.  There is a measly allowance which you should give to your employer if they are willing to pay you as usual.  I was fortunate in that the Catholic school system for whom I worked paid me as usual but let me keep the court allowance. The 2nd time was just a month before my senior students were due to sit their final exams but that excuse was not accepted so it was fortunate I only missed the one day. One lady told the judge she refused to judge her fellow man. The judge dismissed her but directed she not be paid for the day. The first time the judge came in and said "Well ladies and gentlemen you are all here but the guest of honour isn't." We were able to wander round the shops until after lunch when the defendant did finally front. He defended himself but did not like the look of me. I was told you are more likely to be rejected by the defendant's lawyer if you wear a collar and tie and so look conservative. 
Here in NZ they do not call up anyone over 65 so I will never be called again. I think that is ridiculous, as people my age have the time to do jury duty and we are not gaga yet  ;D

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #13159 on: August 20, 2014, 05:32:08 pm »

Jury duty resumed today.  Was at the courthouse for most of the day, and today was the day of opening statements and the start of testimony.

Seems fairly 'cut and dry' so far, but the judge has cautioned us about staying open minded until the end of the closing statements.