Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9033008 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #13580 on: March 25, 2015, 02:08:38 pm »
I don't know whether it's true, or not, but here at work this morning, somebody said that Madonna is going to be here the same weekend as the Pope.  :o

I wonder who will be the bigger draw?  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #13581 on: March 25, 2015, 02:34:57 pm »
I don't know whether it's true, or not, but here at work this morning, somebody said that Madonna is going to be here the same weekend as the Pope.  :o

I wonder who will be the bigger draw?  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You've just reminded me of an incident with Madonna and a prior Pope.

It was 1990 and Madonna was touring the world with her "Blonde Ambition" tour.  Before the tour was to stop in Italy, Pope John Paul II started to make negative statements about the tour and Madonna, in an effort  to have her shows cancelled.

When she landed in Italy, she was given a message that the Pope wanted to see her, presumably to discuss her show and obscenity.

Her reply?

"If the Pope wants to see me, he can buy a ticket like everyone else."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13582 on: March 25, 2015, 02:40:31 pm »
"If the Pope wants to see me, he can buy a ticket like everyone else."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Good for Madge!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13583 on: March 25, 2015, 04:27:37 pm »
The Madonna discussion is more interesting but I have to interrupt to share some interesting things I learned when I looked up the definition of ageism. Wikipedia says, "The term was coined in 1971 by Robert Neil Butler to describe discrimination against seniors, and patterned on sexism and racism. Butler defined "ageism" as a combination of three connected elements. Among them were prejudicial attitudes towards older people, old age, and the aging process; discriminatory practices against older people; and institutional practices and policies that perpetuate stereotypes about older people." Thanks for the definition, Wikipedia, but I still don't know what it means!

I should not have used the word. I was using it simply to say, in shorthand, that I grow tired of the popular preoccupation with people's chronological ages that some people I know have. I am certainly not in the business of "accusing" or "judging" anyone, least of all my friends. I am guilty of PPWPCA myself, mostly in reverse though. I have a tendency to hang around with younger people and I find them very interesting. Perhaps this is part of my "empty nest" syndrome. I seem to share a lot of interests w younger people.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13584 on: March 25, 2015, 05:14:27 pm »
He's a zombie, and he's coming for you, Sonja!   :laugh:

You made Jack a zombie, Chuck?

Shame on you!!!!!   >:( >:( >:(

No more pearls for you!!!  >:(

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13585 on: March 25, 2015, 05:18:31 pm »
Hiya Mandy!  Glad to see you stop by!   Even if you have nothing to write about, c'mon down and say "Hi" to us!!!

:-*

Other than what I posted above, I have nothing to write about either.  Diet/fitness is going OK, I'm slowly losing the weight and inches I've regained.   Now that I have a goal to focus on (the Madonna tour) it will keep me focused.  

I'm  assuming it will be a Mecca of gay men, I must be presentable.  :laugh:

Good for you for losing weight, Chuckie!

I know how hard it is. Keep it up!    :-*

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13586 on: March 25, 2015, 08:58:09 pm »
I have a tendency to hang around with younger people and I find them very interesting. Perhaps this is part of my "empty nest" syndrome. I seem to share a lot of interests w younger people.

Maybe it isn't just "empty nest syndrome." I sure don't have an empty nest--I've never had a full nest  :laugh: --but I've been very fortunate to have made some much younger friends here in Philadelphia, and I have a lot of fun hanging out with them. I feel honored that these guys, who are young enough that they could be my children, have enjoyed my company and not treated me like some icky old queen. Not too long ago one of them even said he was actually hoping to run into me!

I'm sure your younger friends find you a very interesting person to know. I mean, you've traveled to Tibet, and you know a lot about interesting things like permaculture. Not a lot of people of any age have done stuff like that.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13587 on: March 26, 2015, 07:14:03 am »
Interesting discussion...  I just turned 49, and though I'm in fairly good shape, I suppose I'm also in fairly bad shape, meaning my body has always innately wanted to be thin and active and healthy, but I as a person have almost always done the wrong thing by my body.  I am told often that I look younger than my age, but what did I do to deserve that?  It's simply genetics and staying out of the sun.  When someone asks my age, I really have to think to remember, and when I hear the number 49 come out of my mouth, I think "is that possible?".  Seems like just yesterday, I was playing Kick the Can in the street with all the boys in the neighborhood, scraping up my knees just like them, until Mama called me in for supper.  So, I sort of agree with Lee in that age shouldn't matter at all, just exactly like sexual orientation shouldn't matter, race shouldn't matter, sex shouldn't matter, etc.  And I also agree with Jeff in that death is a biological certainty, at least during OUR time, and there's no point in denying it.  I think it's unfortunate that so many people refuse to acknowledge that fact, and thus are unprepared -- financially, logistically, emotionally, etc. -- if it comes before the metaphorical 12th of Never.  I myself can't believe I made it past 30, and am overjoyed for every single day my God lets me wake up not dead, haha.  Just my thoughts...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13588 on: March 26, 2015, 07:15:50 am »
Too funny.  As I finished typing that and I'm listening to the NCIS Benchmark CD on my computer, the song by Hank Williams that came on? "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive".  ;D
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #13589 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:29 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

This is exactly how I'm feeling with work today.

We just got an email from the former boss' boss, saying that we need to reduce exceptions, because in our entire portfolio, we have 53 of them.

An exception is when something is missing from a credit file....say the client is supposed to provide us a copy of their flood insurance, but hasn't, that is an exception.

53 is a very decent number, I know departments that have in the 100s.  My first thought when I saw that email was:  "What do you care, you'll be gone in 2 weeks anyway."

His last day is the 10th.

::)

Also, strange events at work.....we have two large birds, I can't tell what they are, bigger than crows, landing on the fourth floor windowsill, walking the perimeter of the building, and using their beaks to pull the insulation/stripping from the windows.  I guess they're looking for material for their nests.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!