Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8937908 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #18020 on: April 12, 2024, 03:06:17 pm »
The part I like best about eclipses is looking around at people, nature, animals, the changes in the quality of light. There's a change in the temperature; it's usually about 10 degrees cooler. And even though a gentle breeze might come up, there's always a bit of hush in the air like all of life pauses with the dimming of the sun, out of respect and awe.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #18021 on: Today at 11:49:36 am »

Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Oh my, it's been a while since I've been to my blog!  Hope everyone is doing well!

Things have been crazy on this end, so here are the updates!

My bank is doing some "cost saving" things, which don't involve lay offs.   The office that I work out of can hold up to about 300 people.  Of course, it's been pretty empty since Covid, and everyone started working remotely.  The bank has decided that they will now only lease half of the space.  This means that the floorspace will literally be split in half, and a wall will be put up, and another business will end up leasing that space.   Our section of the office is also being reconfigured, with a new floor plan.   This meant that we had to go through all the cubicles and file cabinets, toss out whatever junk we could, shred up any expired documents, and make sure everything that we were losing access to was empty.

While this was going on, the decision was made to close a commercial location in Southern Jersey (again, no lay offs).  Someone went through that location, and said that they located 10 file cabinets full of commercial files that needed to be boxed up and moved.  They picked our location for storage, and they basically told me and another team member that we needed to go to this location (90 minute drive away), box up these files, and bring them back.   We spent 4 hours boxing and loading, and were able to only get 2 cabinets worth of files into our vehicles when we ran out of room.

The issue was that we only had one week's time before we lost access to the building.

My coworker and I had a Teams call with the powers that be, and told them that if they wanted this files moved to our location, the bank was going to need to hire a moving crew with a large van, and have them pack it up and bring it to us.  Thankfully, they were able to get this accomplished last Monday, just a day before we lost access to the building on May 1st.

On a personal note, I hadn't been able to go to my parents' home for a while.  Dad got sick, and it turned into pneumonia.  After being diagnosed with pneumonia, mom called me to let me know she had caught Covid, and passed it to my brother, Chris.

::)

Thankfully, everyone managed to recover from their ailments as of this past Monday (the 29th).   Dad is fine, and mom and Chris tested negative on Sunday the 28th.

Needless to say, I'm very tired!    :laugh:   Thankfully, just by coincidence, I had scheduled this coming week for vacation.  I'm not going anywhere, it's a "stay-cation" and I intend to do some spring cleaning around the apartment.  I'll be cleaning the windows, then putting up the Memorial Day lights and flag.   I also plan to do a good dusting, and move the furniture to clean behind and under them.

The main thing that needs to be done is drop the car off with the mechanic. It's due for its first inspection since I purchased it, it's due for the next tune-up, and it needs 4 new tires.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18022 on: Today at 02:08:25 pm »
Wow, Chuck! What an ordeal! The nerve of those C-suite people turning desk workers into schleppers and stevedores!! If I were a commercial entity and found out my documents were being treated that way, I'd change banks! Enjoy your staycation and heal up!!

My windows need cleaning too. I would love to be able to see all the spring flowers clearly from inside.

Isn't it funny how modern cars always need to have four new tires, never just one or two??  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18023 on: Today at 02:14:54 pm »
That's outrageous that they expected you to use your own vehicle (use your own fuel?) to transport those files/that company property.

As for reconfiguring space, I understand my late employer has been doing that, too (except that the company owns its own building). My former colleague has been classified as permanently working remotely--no cube in the office for her!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18024 on: Today at 02:42:00 pm »
Maybe the bank is planning to turn its one-and-a-half locations into apartments, like in this New Yorker article.