Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2594698 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Q" is Qi Lime Pie (2004)
« Reply #3320 on: April 01, 2008, 03:17:15 pm »
from IMDb: East meets West in this satirical mock-infomercial.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"R" is Rumble Fish (1983)
« Reply #3321 on: April 01, 2008, 04:23:21 pm »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"S" is Soylent Green (1973)
« Reply #3322 on: April 01, 2008, 04:57:31 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"T" is Tea With Mussolini (1999)
« Reply #3323 on: April 01, 2008, 07:13:33 pm »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"U" is Unser Taglich Brot (2005)
« Reply #3324 on: April 01, 2008, 09:42:36 pm »
AKA "Our Daily Bread".

IMDb:  Welcome to the world of industrial food production and high-tech farming! To the rhythm of conveyor belts and immense machines, the film looks without commenting into the places where food is produced in Europe: monumental spaces, surreal landscapes and bizarre sounds - a cool, industrial environment which leaves little space for individualism. People, animals, crops and machines play a supporting role in the logistic of this system which provides our society's standard of living. OUR DAILY BREAD is a wide-screen tableau of a feast which isn't always easy to digest - and in which we all take part. A pure, meticulous and high-end film experience that enables the audience to form their own ideas.

=aside=
Lee, I've always admired your work.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"V" is Un vaso de whisky (1958)
« Reply #3325 on: April 01, 2008, 11:13:05 pm »
AKA A Glass of Whiskey

From Answers.com:

Leaning heavily on the side of lecturing to the audience, this drama by director Julio Coll is similar to an old-fashioned morality tale. A devil-may-care gigolo supports himself by living off the affections and generosity of a string of women. His insensitivity to the consequences of his actions has a tragic result when one of the women commits suicide. This time, however, it is more than her death that will haunt his conscience. A trained boxer happened to be in love with her, and his opinion of the Don Juan can only be expressed in a personal encounter of the violent kind. ~ Eleanor Mannikka, All Movie Guide

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"W" is The Wayward Cloud (2005)
« Reply #3326 on: April 01, 2008, 11:22:09 pm »
aka: Tian bian yi duo yun
by Tsai Ming-liang, one of my favourite directors.

IMDb Plot Synopsis:   Hsiao-Kang, now working as an adult movie actor, meets Shiang-chyi once again. Meanwhile, the city of Taipei faces a water shortage that makes the sales of watermelons skyrocket.

IMDb Comment:   Somehow, amazingly, this film manages to correct nearly every problem I've had with Tsai Ming-Liang's work so far, and yet at the same time amplify, if anything, everything I love about his films to begin with. At last he has made a film that actually leads up to something resembling a satisfying climax (very literally, actually). Also, it may just be that I saw it in a theater, but the cinematography seemed far and away much better than any of his previous films. It's easily one of the most beautiful films, visually, that I've ever seen, up there with the best of Wong Kar-Wai, no question. It's also, somewhat oddly, both his most accessible film (possibly) and also, by far, his most confrontational and edgy. This is, basically, his "Brown Bunny" or "Ken Park", and i mean that in the best possible way. [:o ]That said, it may not be his most consistent film, but it is probably his most rewarding. Also, watching it with an audience that laughed at all the right places was rather remarkable. At times I felt like Tsai Ming-Liang was playing up to the audience's expectations too much, but my opinion in that regard was completely changed by the end of the film.

=aside=
Lee, I've always admired your work.

Thanks!  It was hard.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Wildcard "X" is Chocolat (2000)
« Reply #3327 on: April 02, 2008, 06:49:26 am »

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Y" is Yam (2004)
« Reply #3328 on: April 02, 2008, 07:51:13 am »
IMDb:  There's nothing special about Pamela Plagely: her husband doesn't understand her, her son is doing time for dealing skunk and her doctor wants to fill her up with chemicals. But she's not having any of it. With a little cross-cultural communication Pamela discovers the remarkable medicinal properties of yam and begins to take an interest in promoting her own well-being. But Pamlela's alternative health choices attract unexpected attention. Events sweep her out of her predictable daily routine and into public view, where the media machine is waiting...

=aside=

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Z" is Zombie Vegetarians (2004)
« Reply #3329 on: April 02, 2008, 08:15:50 am »
Tainted veggie burgers turn people into zombies. I couldn't find a picture  :(