Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2593422 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"B" is Brenda Starr (1989)
« Reply #3520 on: April 15, 2008, 10:48:40 am »

==COMMENT==
I used to love Brooke Shields.  I still have some residual affection for her.  (I was really pissed when Tom Cruise dissed her about the post-partum thing, for examp)  If I get the letter "E" you can be sure I'll be playing Endless Love (if it hasn't been played).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:49:16 pm by oilgun »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"C" is Casual Sex? (1988)
« Reply #3521 on: April 15, 2008, 01:55:43 pm »
from IMDb:

Movies like this never win awards, never top lists, are never hot topics around the water cooler (do people ever have powwows around water coolers in real life?). This is the kind of movie critics like to cite as evidence of the decline of Western Civilization, because they make easy targets: they don't change lives, and they have few defenders. But, leaving aside Western Civilization for a moment, I want to say a word for the underdog. I watched the tape today, and was struck again by my happy mood after watching it. The story is featherweight, the acting likable if sitcom-ish, and the ending is as sweet as you could ask. Andrew Dice Clay's performance is indeed surprisingly good, and the occasional forays into real dialogue about "the mating game" touch on real issues. "Casual Sex?" won't change your life, but it's a pleasant way to spend a few hours. If you care what the snobs think, just don't tell them.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

Re: ABCs at the Movies: I'm Feeling Sort Of...Meh.
« Reply #3522 on: April 15, 2008, 03:23:17 pm »
I think I'm getting it now so  I may change my "B" selection.  These movies are like a cross between underrated and a guilty pleasure?  Benignly mediocre?

==ASIDE==
GREAT NEWS!!  Lars and the Real Girl was released on DVD today!!!  :-* :D :D :D :D
(and Leslie, I know what you're thinking: "Speaking of begninly mediocre..."  >:()

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3523 on: April 15, 2008, 03:53:07 pm »
I think I'm getting it now so  I may change my "B" selection.  These movies are like a cross between underrated and a guilty pleasure?  Benignly mediocre?

==ASIDE==
GREAT NEWS!!  Lars and the Real Girl was released on DVD today!!!  :-* :D :D :D :D
(and Leslie, I know what you're thinking: "Speaking of begninly mediocre..."  >:()

Hahahaha...and it hasn't been played yet, either!  ;)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3524 on: April 15, 2008, 03:59:12 pm »

Hahahaha...and it hasn't been played yet, either!  ;)

Don't you dare!  I'm saving it for the Best Movies of All Time round.  ;)

Just in case:  DIBS ON "L"!!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3525 on: April 16, 2008, 06:16:04 am »
Everyone,

I don't have a "mediocre meter" so don't be scared off from playing...if you think a movie is mediocre, I'll agree with you! Let's get this round going...

Leslie

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"D" is Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead (1991)
« Reply #3526 on: April 16, 2008, 10:57:33 am »

From IMDb:

OK the premise is dumb, the babysitter dies within the first 15 minutes and the kids basically have to live alone all summer. Applegate easily gets an executive position (just like real life, right?) and, naturally, is incredible at her job. And her brothers and sister learn values from her example... yadda, yadda, yadda. Sounds horrible, but it's well-acted (especially Applegate and Cassidy), it moves quickly, it is very funny and I enjoyed every minute of it! Not a great movie by any means, but if you can turn off your brain for 2 hours, you'll really enjoy it!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:13:33 pm by Elaine Wyatt »

Offline oilgun

"E" is Endless Love (1981)
« Reply #3527 on: April 16, 2008, 12:04:17 pm »
IMDb Comment: I borrowed this movie at my local video store because I am a fan of Brooke Shields. I honestly don't see why people bag this film as much as they do these days. It is a sweet, even if a little cheesy film with great performances by all the cast (some better than others). One of it's bad points is that it's a little too 80's - which may explain why it hasn't aged that well. But I think this movie should not be put down as much as it has, and is worth viewing, especially if your a lover of romance. Another great point in this movie is it's title song and theme "Endless Love" by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross. This song is beautiful and the movie would not be the same without it.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ1HI0meefk[/youtube]

==COMMENT==
I just loved this movie when I first saw it!  I was convinced that Martin Hewitt was going to make it big!   :D 

==ASIDE==
I stayed up till 1:30 last night watching Lars & The Real Girl.  I just wanted to check if there were any special features not listed on the box-sadly it's a completely bare-bones DVD- and ended up watching most of the movie.  I stopped it when I started tearing up about 3/4 of the way through.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"F" is Failure to Launch (2006)
« Reply #3528 on: April 16, 2008, 12:20:09 pm »
It sounds like it lived up (or down) to its name, although apparently it has lots of Matthew M. in nothing but a towel  ;)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:14:53 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"G" is Gable and Lombard (1976)
« Reply #3529 on: April 16, 2008, 03:22:13 pm »

From IMDb:

This movie was so maligned when it came out. Since I had been a big fan of both vivacious Jill Clayburgh and the manly James Brolin at the time,  I went to see it. Since I was a teen, I took a lot of what was portrayed as quite accurate. True it is a mostly fictionalized account of the two stars, but it has got some redeeming qualities. Namely, Brolin's dead-on Gable. He is indeed very good, and I kept forgetting that it was not really Clark Gable. Clayburgh, as attractive as she is, does not have Lombard's classic beauty or figure, but she's so gosh-darn likable as Lombard one can overlook her shortcomings. Seeing it again recently, Jill Clayburgh as Lombard is a stretch, but I felt she put so much into the character, and a better script couldn't have hurt. Physical aspects aside, the two actors have great chemistry, and one gets the impression they are really crazy about each other. It's ashame that neither Brolin or Clayburgh got more to do. The story does meander at times, and the film is a tad too long. Although it's not a great film, it's definitely worth checking out. Be on the lookout for Melanie Mayron as Dixie, before she went from frump to vixen.