Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2576043 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"I" is I Hate Musicals (2007)
« Reply #3590 on: April 22, 2008, 08:27:48 pm »

Synopsis from Ihatemusicals.com:

Brad hates musicals. He really, really, really hates musicals. But his fiance Melissa lives for them. His contempt for musicals threatens to tear them apart, until one night Melissa makes a wish, and Brad is horrified to discover that whenever he opens his mouth, he bursts into song!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:06:15 pm by Elaine Wyatt »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"J" is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (1999)
« Reply #3591 on: April 22, 2008, 09:23:37 pm »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"K" is The Kissing Bandit (1948)
« Reply #3592 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

Synopsis from Class Act: Set in 19th Century California under Spanish rule. Farcical musical-comedy about a bandit who always "leaves his mark" by kissing the prettiest girl in any group he robs. When he dies, his son (Frank Sinatra) is called in to take his place. Frank has been studying Hotel Management in Boston, but dutifully returns to California to take his father's place. When he finds out who his father was and what he's expected to do he's is not overly enthusiastic, but takes his father's place reluctantly (a spoof of "El Zorro"?).

On his first and only heist he and the gang rob a stagecoach with the Governor's daughter (Kathryn Grayson) aboard. Though Frank is completely enchanted, he is too shy to kiss the girl, and she returns home to sing "What's Wrong with Me?" completely upset that the Kissing Bandit (apparently) didn't find her pretty enough to kiss.

Meantime, the King of Spain has sent Count Belmonte (Carleton G. Young) and General Torro (Billy Gilbert) to collect the taxes long overdue from the Governor. Learning of this, J. Carrol Naish and Frank Sinatra hijack the two travelers, tie them up in Naish's inn and take their place. They ride to the governor's palace to collect the taxes and the girl. Things are going well enough until the real Count Belmonte manages to escape and show up at the palace.

Really fun film with a wonderful cast. Kathryn sings "Love Is Where You Find It," Frank sings "Siesta," Sono Osato sings and dances a very provocative "I Like You," and Ricardo Montalban, Cyd Charisse and Ann Miller dance the "Dance of Fury."

The film begins with, "Long ago, when California was a colony of Spain, it was customary to deliver the mail by horse. However, after a great many complaints, the Post Office decided to put a man on the horse. Then the service became somewhat better."

Photo coming soon.

Synopsis from Ihatemusicals.com:

Brad hates musicals. He really, really, really hates musicals. But his fiance Melissa lives for them. His contempt for musicals threatens to tear them apart, until one night Melissa makes a wish, and Brad is horrified to discover that whenever he opens his mouth, he bursts into song!

OMG, that sounds like a hoot!  :laugh:

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"L" is Lullaby of Broadway (1951)
« Reply #3593 on: April 22, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"M" is Madama Butterfly (1954)
« Reply #3594 on: April 23, 2008, 07:32:50 am »
I just saw the San Francisco Opera presentation of Madame Butterfly on Sunday, so it seemed appropriate to play this here.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"N" is Night and Day (1946)
« Reply #3595 on: April 23, 2008, 08:34:32 am »

IMDb:  One of Broadway's most brilliant songwriters, Cole Porter (1891-1964) worked hard to present an unflappable image to the world--but in truth he was a tremendously complex man, a homosexual who lived with wife Linda Lee Thomas in a marriage of convenience, subject fits of depression, and suffering horrific pain in the wake of a horseback riding accident which left him crippled at the peak of his career. Add to this the fact that his lyrics were often censored for film, radio, and records and it seems very odd that 1940s Hollywood would attempt a biography. What they did, of course, was fictionalize it to the max, reducing the story of his life to a mix of backstage musical and domestic drama--and transforming the tiny and waspish Porter and his icy bride Linda into handsome Cary Grant and lovely Alexis Smith. The result is pure nonsense, of course, but when you tack in a host of Porter classics--fantasy it might be, but it is entertaining enough to watch.

Grant is no singer, but he has considerable charm, and Smith is as always extremely attractive. The supporting cast is remarkably strong, featuring the likes of Jane Wyman, Eve Arden, Dorothy Malone, and Alan Hale--and rare screen appearances by Monty Woolley and Mary Martin, who deliver knockout performances of "Miss Otis Regrets" and "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" respectively. The DVD transfer is reasonable, and although the bonuses are pure fluff they are amusing. While it may be short on fact with a story little more than pure melodrama, the music and performers make NIGHT AND DAY a reasonably pleasant way to spend a rainy afternoon.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7UwoPT_Xd4[/youtube]

Cary Grant singing! You're the Top with Ginny Simms (1:35)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"O" is One Touch of Venus (1948)
« Reply #3596 on: April 23, 2008, 09:17:15 am »
From Class Act (www.classicmoviemusicals.com): Delightful fable about a department store statue of Venus that's brought to life by a window dresser's kiss. Ava Gardner is radiant as the goddess of romance, who returns to spread love throughout the world. Co-stars Robert Walker, Dick Haymes, Eve Arden. The Ogden Nash / Kurt Weill songs include "Speak Low" and "The Trouble with Women".

==COMMENT==
The inspiration for Mannequin, I assume?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 04:47:49 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Night and Day
« Reply #3597 on: April 23, 2008, 09:24:28 am »

Cary Grant singing! You're the Top with Ginny Simms (1:35)

And playing the piano with a cigarette in his hand, and smoking while singing! Oh for Pete's sake!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3598 on: April 23, 2008, 09:39:04 am »
And playing the piano with a cigarette in his hand, and smoking while singing! Oh for Pete's sake!

L

And why is there a grand piano on the lawn?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3599 on: April 23, 2008, 09:46:27 am »

And why is there a grand piano on the lawn?

Why indeed? This is why I love old movies, though. If you actually think about them, they are totally ridiculous. LOL