Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2594833 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"Y" is Yoba (1976)
« Reply #3900 on: May 15, 2008, 03:30:26 pm »
aka: The Possessed

Ryunosuke Akutagawa
From amazon: Ryunosuke Akutagawa (1892-1927[suicide]) is one of Japan's foremost stylists - a modernist master whose short stories are marked by highly original imagery, cynicism, beauty and wild humour. 'Rashomon' and 'In a Bamboo Grove' inspired Kurosawa's magnificent film and depict a past in which morality is turned upside down, while tales such as 'The Nose', 'O-Gin' and 'Loyalty' paint a rich and imaginative picture of a medieval Japan peopled by Shoguns and priests, vagrants and peasants. And in later works such as 'Death Register', 'The Life of a Stupid Man' and 'Spinning Gears', Akutagawa drew from his own life to devastating effect, revealing his intense melancholy and terror of madness in exquisitely moving impressionistic stories.

I'm assuming that the shortstory this movie is based on is included in this collection:

This is a poster for a play based on another of his books called The Picture of Hell.  I've included it because it's gorgeous:

==COMMENT==
Other than the IMDb listing I couldn't find anything about the movie Yobu.  (and I didn't check to see if it's been played before  :laugh:)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:00:30 pm by oilgun »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The Great Writers Round
« Reply #3901 on: May 16, 2008, 01:47:15 am »
It comes up when I do a search.  It's in the 2004 list:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,18198.0.html

*Cough!*Q Planes*Cough!*Queen of the Yukon*Cough!*

I looked in the archive and somehow missed Queen of the Yukon!  My mistake - but man it was tough to find a Q.  If anyone finds a replacement, let me know.

I

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3902 on: May 16, 2008, 06:32:22 am »

I looked in the archive and somehow missed Queen of the Yukon!  My mistake - but man it was tough to find a Q.  If anyone finds a replacement, let me know.

I

Elle, the only reason I caught those is because I remembered playing them originally so believe me I know how hard the Q's are.  Anyway, don't worry about it, we're moving on  :-* 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3903 on: May 16, 2008, 11:55:29 am »
And meanwhile, no on is coming up with a Z....

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3904 on: May 16, 2008, 12:15:47 pm »
And meanwhile, no on is coming up with a Z....

I found a good one but I'd be out of turn!

[...Ziemia obiecana...]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Z" is Ziemia obiecana (1975)
« Reply #3905 on: May 16, 2008, 12:19:43 pm »
[A great "Z" just occurred to me...]

Wladyslaw Stanislaw Reymont
(Winner of the 1924 Nobel Prize for Literature)

AKA "The Promised Land"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
ABCs at the Movies: The Heroine Round!
« Reply #3906 on: May 17, 2008, 10:23:57 am »
Methinks GamesMistress is busy working.  With all this fuss about "Ironman", how about a strong woman round?  With the usual rules, of course.

The Heroine Round!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"A" is The Abductors (1972)
« Reply #3907 on: May 17, 2008, 11:33:13 am »

From IMDb:

Someone is stealing cheerleaders and other pretty girls and selling them to the highest bidder. Female super sexy spy Ginger is soon employed to investigate the disappearances. She does so by going undercover with a fellow agent and doing whatever is necessary to put an end to the operation and take down the leaders.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"B" is Bull Durham (1988)
« Reply #3908 on: May 17, 2008, 12:11:29 pm »

Annie Savoy:  I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring... which makes it like sex. There's never been a ballplayer slept with me who didn't have the best year of his career. Making love is like hitting a baseball: you just gotta relax and concentrate. Besides, I'd never sleep with a player hitting under .250... not unless he had a lot of RBIs and was a great glove man up the middle. You see, there's a certain amount of life wisdom I give these boys. I can expand their minds. Sometimes when I've got a ballplayer alone, I'll just read Emily Dickinson or Walt Whitman to him, and the guys are so sweet, they always stay and listen. 'Course, a guy'll listen to anything if he thinks it's foreplay. I make them feel confident, and they make me feel safe, and pretty. 'Course, what I give them lasts a lifetime; what they give me lasts 142 games. Sometimes it seems like a bad trade. But bad trades are part of baseball - now who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for God's sake? It's a long season and you gotta trust. I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"C" is Calamity Jane (1953)
« Reply #3909 on: May 17, 2008, 12:45:42 pm »
Ich bin ein Brokie...