Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4636211 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3300 on: April 12, 2007, 04:24:14 pm »
What happened to spring? We haven't even had a whiff of it yet. It's been winter forever I think.

And precip-wise, it is snowing again.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

moremojo

« Reply #3301 on: April 12, 2007, 04:38:50 pm »
Can you send some of it--correction, a lot of it--down here Sunday night? I don't want to have to show up for jury duty Monday morning.  :laugh:
Oh God...you have jury duty coming up? You have my condolences, Jeff...I hate being called in for jury duty, and was less than impressed with the byzantine workings of our court system when I was actually selected to serve on a jury. Considering how almost everyone seems to detest serving on juries, I think we should follow the European model and have cases adjudicated by panels of judges. It wouldn't be a perfect system, but then what system would?

Scott6373

« Reply #3302 on: April 12, 2007, 04:42:14 pm »
Oh God...you have jury duty coming up? You have my condolences, Jeff...I hate being called in for jury duty, and was less than impressed with the byzantine workings of our court system when I was actually selected to serve on a jury. Considering how almost everyone seems to detest serving on juries, I think we should follow the European model and have cases adjudicated by panels of judges. It wouldn't be a perfect system, but then what system would?

I love jury duty.  I always go.  It was a summer job once for me during college.  I was called for Federal Court in Boston, and you serve for 8 weeks, get paid for every day you have to go, and they pay your parking...sweet!

moremojo

« Reply #3303 on: April 12, 2007, 05:12:02 pm »
I love jury duty.  I always go.
Well, I'm glad someone likes it! Different strokes for different folks, I guess. ::)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3304 on: April 12, 2007, 09:22:29 pm »
I hate Jury duty.   I was on the most boring civil case ever!

Besides, here in Connecticut, your employer only has to pay you for one week.   After that the State pays you $50 a day maximum.   

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3305 on: April 12, 2007, 10:23:32 pm »
Jury duty.

I got picked once, years ago, for a criminal trial, a very petty burglary case that ultimately got resolved somehow without the jury because one of the lawyers screwed up.  :laugh: It was interesting, what I saw of it.

It's been more than five years since the last time I was called, because I haven't been called while I've been in my present job, but I actually don't remember how long it has been.

My current employer treats it as a paid absence, which is a good thing since the last time I was called, the jury pay was the princely sum of $9.00 a day. That's right, nine dollars a day. Not even enough to pay for your lunch.

At least Philadelphia has a one day-one trial system. If I don't get empanelled on Monday, I'm done. Until the next time I get called. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3306 on: April 12, 2007, 11:52:27 pm »
I've never been called for jury duty.  I can't figure out why.

injest

« Reply #3307 on: April 13, 2007, 12:02:15 am »
It's just raining here in Indianapolis now. It's 36 F (2 C) and raining. It's just a cold drizzle. Absolutely appalling weather. What happened to Spring? Last week it was 80 degrees here!  >:(

bright sunshine and 76 here...rode my horse this evening, beautiful sunset....wearing a tshirt, hat and jeans...cool breeze coming thru...

oh I'm sorry....is it cold where ya'll are??

:-X :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #3308 on: April 13, 2007, 12:04:48 am »
And for some reason, I don't feel that I make (many) frivolous posts - why is that?

Must be cause I got me some practice gabbin in (private) chat rooms with some master chatters before I started my climb. Also, I don't mind people seein me comin. I'm up for hours before you usually post yer top 10 and have never posted 'nothin' posts at the last minute before the picture gets taken.

Take me as I am - a pain sometimes, but an honest one!

(plus David - you did take a day off recently, didn't ya?!)

WHO??! Who you been in private chats with!! I thought you only used the warm room with ME!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3309 on: April 13, 2007, 12:12:04 am »
bright sunshine and 76 here...rode my horse this evening, beautiful sunset....wearing a tshirt, hat and jeans...cool breeze coming thru...

oh I'm sorry....is it cold where ya'll are??

:-X :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah Jess. It's cold here. Unless you're one of those people who thinks 36 F is warm and tropical.

Thanks so much for rubbing it in!  >:(

:laugh:  :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.