Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4636004 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7820 on: August 28, 2008, 09:03:12 pm »
Leslie, I just heard on the NBC news that Portland my lose its hometown daily newspaper!

:'(  :'(  :'(

Yikes! The paper is up for sale...that's not new news. Apparently what has changed is the exclusive negotiating agreement with a group of potential buyers that includes former Senator Cohen.

Something needs to happen. The paper is going down the tubes, IMHO.

LHN
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7821 on: August 28, 2008, 09:53:23 pm »
Yikes! The paper is up for sale...that's not new news. Apparently what has changed is the exclusive negotiating agreement with a group of potential buyers that includes former Senator Cohen.

Something needs to happen. The paper is going down the tubes, IMHO.

LHN

NBC made it sound as though the paper is in danger of shutting down.  :-\ 
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7822 on: August 29, 2008, 02:15:10 am »
How close was I on "Schnuffler"? I just took a guess.

It reminded me of "snuffle" or "sniffle," which you do with your nose, thus it made me think of a snoopy, nosey person--someone who comes around and puts his nose in other people's business where it doesn't belong.  ;D

You had it completely right! :D

The verb belonging to Schnüffler is "schnüffeln", which is both, to sniffle and to snoop around. It's a colloquial word for a private detective (it can also mean a person who sniffs adhesives). And in this case it means exactly what you said: other nosey people, who behave like a private detective (snooping around in other people's private business) but aren't.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7823 on: August 29, 2008, 02:56:46 am »

You had it completely right! :D

The verb belonging to Schnüffler is "schnüffeln", which is both, to sniffle and to snoop around. It's a colloquial word for a private detective (it can also mean a person who sniffs adhesives). And in this case it means exactly what you said: other nosey people, who behave like a private detective (snooping around in other people's private business) but aren't.

Sniffs adhesives? Like airplane glue?

I used to assemble model airplanes in my youth. I remember getting "high" sometimes from the glue fumes. I'd have to open up windows, fan myself and everything just to keep from getting a buzz. I didn't like the feeling. But maybe I was a schnüffeln in my former youth! Do you think?  :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;D ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7824 on: August 29, 2008, 06:54:34 am »
Morning all,

Watch out for that glue, David! LOL

61 degrees and a little bit foggy here this morning...

Today's Friday and then we have the 3 day Labor Day weekend. LABOR DAY! Um....what happened to summer???

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7825 on: August 29, 2008, 07:45:08 am »
Morning all,

Watch out for that glue, David! LOL

61 degrees and a little bit foggy here this morning...

Today's Friday and then we have the 3 day Labor Day weekend. LABOR DAY! Um....what happened to summer???

L

What is labo(u)r day, no one I know here can tell me.Does it signify the end of Summer?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7826 on: August 29, 2008, 08:15:38 am »
What is labo(u)r day, no one I know here can tell me.Does it signify the end of Summer?

I don't know the original origins of Labor Day but I think it had something to do with workers, unions and so on. Sort of like May Day in the rest of the world (I believe).

But for most of us, yes, it does signal the end of summer. Summer starts with Memorial Day (end of May), peaks on July 4th, and ends with Labor Day. Traditionally, for those of us in the northeast at least, school starts a few days after Labor Day. My son heads back to college on Monday and my daughter goes back to school on Thursday, Sep 4. For me growing up, school *always* began on the Wednesday after Labor Day.

Labor Day is the first Monday in September and it is early this year...Sept 1st!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7827 on: August 29, 2008, 08:37:58 am »
morning everyone!

How are you all?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7828 on: August 29, 2008, 09:13:15 am »

:D A new word for my vocabulary! Now, when someone asks me a nosey question, I'll tell him, "Don't be such a Schnuffler!"  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7829 on: August 29, 2008, 09:34:19 am »

On the origins and history of Labor Day in the U.S.

http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm

From Wikipedia, on Labor Day around the world, where it is usually May 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Day