Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4631062 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5160 on: November 08, 2007, 02:55:20 pm »
hey Leslie, it's now 10.30 am in Chicago. How are you doing?  :)

I am doing fine. We are at our hotel and have wireless, so you know I am a happy camper!

Now I need to find some lunch....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5162 on: November 08, 2007, 04:54:59 pm »
Sure do!   :D

Fabienne...

They had an interesting news story on the radio this morning about Belgium. Apparently you are in a flux (crisis) of government since "failed" elections back in June? And there is some talk about Belgium separating into two countries...a Dutch one and a French one? Your thoughts on this?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5163 on: November 08, 2007, 05:08:13 pm »
Fabienne...

They had an interesting news story on the radio this morning about Belgium. Apparently you are in a flux (crisis) of government since "failed" elections back in June? And there is some talk about Belgium separating into two countries...a Dutch one and a French one? Your thoughts on this?

L

hey Leslie,
not to worry, my country still exists! We did have federal elections in June but so far negotiations between the parties to form a coalition government have failed. It all has to do with the way the federal state is organised. The flemish parties think that the balance of power between the flemish (60% of the population with the strongest economy) and the french speaking (40%) part should be changed and be more in favour of the flemish people.
Of course in order to achieve that, the french parties have to agree. They have to be prepared to give up some of their power. Not an easy task to accomplish...
Don't worry, we'll get there, slowly but surely. I heard one commentator on the tv yesterday who said that the only people who aren't concerned by the slow negotiation process are the belgians themselves! LOL

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5164 on: November 08, 2007, 05:20:47 pm »
They interviewed a bunch of different people. One Flemish person talked about the stronger Flemish economy...very low unemployment and generating money through high tech industries. The French part of the country has 20% unemployment he said.

Then a French person came on and said, "Well, part of the problem is that the Dutch people won't learn to speak French," and I thought, huh? I know you speak French, Fabienne, and you told me your older daughter will start learning it in school this year...a few years before they begin English lessons.

They did talk about the very distinct separation of cultures between the Flemish and French and said that there are very few things that are bilingual...no bilingual universities, for example. Although they did say that Brussels (which is in Flanders, ie, Dutch) is a bilingual city.

Correct me if I am mixing any of this up. It was early in the morning when it came on the news!

L

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5165 on: November 08, 2007, 05:28:39 pm »
Hi MaineWriter!

Yes, there was a documentary on TV here lately about the two main cultural differences in Belgium.

It is maybe separation that is wanted by each? Seems not. Some or a few cities there are for bilingual ways or the two cultures to live together. Others want their ways only. Hard to say... what will happen!

Are you in that country right now MaineWriter?

Hugs!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5166 on: November 08, 2007, 05:33:08 pm »
Hi MaineWriter!

Yes, there was a documentary on TV here lately about the two main cultural differences in Belgium.

It is maybe separation that is wanted by each? Seems not. Some or a few cities there are for bilingual ways or the two cultures to live together. Others want their ways only. Hard to say... what will happen!

Are you in that country right now MaineWriter?

Hugs!

No, right now I am in the city of Chicago, as a matter of fact.

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5167 on: November 08, 2007, 05:34:43 pm »
They interviewed a bunch of different people. One Flemish person talked about the stronger Flemish economy...very low unemployment and generating money through high tech industries. The French part of the country has 20% unemployment he said.

Then a French person came on and said, "Well, part of the problem is that the Dutch people won't learn to speak French," and I thought, huh? I know you speak French, Fabienne, and you told me your older daughter will start learning it in school this year...a few years before they begin English lessons.

They did talk about the very distinct separation of cultures between the Flemish and French and said that there are very few things that are bilingual...no bilingual universities, for example. Although they did say that Brussels (which is in Flanders, ie, Dutch) is a bilingual city.

Correct me if I am mixing any of this up. It was early in the morning when it came on the news!

L

Huh indeed.  ??? Most Flemish people speak french (although not as well as let's say, a generation ago) but we still learn it at school. French is considered our second language.
In Brussels or Wallonia (the french speaking part of Belgium) most people (and certainly the politicians!) only speak french. Some (and unfortunately this is not a small minority) feel that Dutch (the language spoken in Flanders, are you still with me? LOL) is too difficult and spoken by too few people to learn and start learning English instead. It also has something to do with the perceived 'superiority' of the french culture. A lot of Flemish people are a bit tired of this attitude...hence the growing demand for a shift of power.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5168 on: November 08, 2007, 05:59:45 pm »
Thanks belbbmfan!

That is quite revealing and news to me, you are saying!

Why flemish so hard to learn?

Hugs!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5169 on: November 08, 2007, 06:13:52 pm »
hey Artiste,

I don't know why people don't want to learn Dutch. For us, we always have had to learn other languages. I wouldn't be on this forum if i didn't speak any English LOL! Because our language isn't spoken by many people, we NEED to learn other languages. If we go on holiday to Spain or Italy, no one is going to understand us if we only speak Dutch. So you learn other languages, without really thinking about it.