Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4631717 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9210 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:10 am »
It's starting to snow here in New York.  They say we'll have several inches by tonight.  8)

The first place I ever visited in America was New York. It was just after Xmas and the decoarations were still up.It snowed and I thought it was one of the most magical things I had ever seen.
I went out walking everywhere with my husband, just mesmerized. It is a totally different thing to snow in the countryside and I guess al the Xmas lights added an extra dimension.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9211 on: January 11, 2009, 12:54:46 pm »
The first place I ever visited in America was New York. It was just after Xmas and the decoarations were still up.It snowed and I thought it was one of the most magical things I had ever seen.
I went out walking everywhere with my husband, just mesmerized. It is a totally different thing to snow in the countryside and I guess al the Xmas lights added an extra dimension.

You're right, Fiona, snow in the city is a different animal.  I often say that it's the only thing that in one stroke can make the city quiet and clean (for a few hours anyway!)  ;)

I had a perfect winter night in the big city yesterday--dinner with a group of friends in a tiny, cozy, charming apartment down in Soho.  It's one of those spaces that has all sorts of quirks that make it irresistible: a big, square chest-high bulge in the bedroom that marks where a stairwell goes from the street into the basement (used as a convenient shelf for the TV and a collection of celadine pottery); a tiny living room painted dark red, with a fireplace, book-lined walls, eclectic art and overstuffed flea market furniture (the Christmas tree was still up, too); a miniature washer-dryer with a space-age silver exhaust hose that lives between the kitchen alcove and miniscule bathroom; a wee breakfast nook hugging an exposed brick wall, next to an old cast-iron stove with a nest of candles in it for warmth.  Our hostess served hot artichoke dip with French bread, an enormous pot of hearty chicken, sausage and barley stew and tossed green salad, followed by bundt cake with whipped cream and strawberries and hot coffee.  On the way home there was a satisfying crunch of snow underfoot on the way to the subway.  All the winding streets were made pretty by the shop lights reflecting on the white sidewalks and snow-topped cars.  Times like these make me glad to live in New York!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline BelAir

« Reply #9212 on: January 11, 2009, 02:15:18 pm »
You're right, Fiona, snow in the city is a different animal.  I often say that it's the only thing that in one stroke can make the city quiet and clean (for a few hours anyway!)  ;)

I had a perfect winter night in the big city yesterday--dinner with a group of friends in a tiny, cozy, charming apartment down in Soho.  It's one of those spaces that has all sorts of quirks that make it irresistible: a big, square chest-high bulge in the bedroom that marks where a stairwell goes from the street into the basement (used as a convenient shelf for the TV and a collection of celadine pottery); a tiny living room painted dark red, with a fireplace, book-lined walls, eclectic art and overstuffed flea market furniture (the Christmas tree was still up, too); a miniature washer-dryer with a space-age silver exhaust hose that lives between the kitchen alcove and miniscule bathroom; a wee breakfast nook hugging an exposed brick wall, next to an old cast-iron stove with a nest of candles in it for warmth.  Our hostess served hot artichoke dip with French bread, an enormous pot of hearty chicken, sausage and barley stew and tossed green salad, followed by bundt cake with whipped cream and strawberries and hot coffee.  On the way home there was a satisfying crunch of snow underfoot on the way to the subway.  All the winding streets were made pretty by the shop lights reflecting on the white sidewalks and snow-topped cars.  Times like these make me glad to live in New York!  8)

sounds lovely, Meryl.

:)

lots and lots and lots of luck (and warmth!), Chrissi...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9213 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:32 pm »
Chrissi!

hope you get warm water again soon!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9214 on: January 11, 2009, 11:47:49 pm »
Oh Chrissi! You poor baby! I hope you get your hot water working again very quickly. Living in the North, I'm all too familiar with frozen pipes. When it gets really cold outside, I will open the cupboard doors under the sink to help keep the pipes warm. I'll also let a small stream of water flow from each of the faucets until the severe cold spell finally breaks. We'll probably have to do it this week. On Wednesday the high temperature will only be 10 F and they tell us on Wednesday night it will fall to - 5 or - 10 F. That is unusually cold for us, but it does happen from time to time.

Good luck with your hot water honey! :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9215 on: January 12, 2009, 08:41:22 am »
Morning all,

9 degrees this morning and more snow is coming down...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9216 on: January 12, 2009, 10:36:38 am »
Hiya everyone!

Saw on the news today that in New Hampshire there was a major traffic accident.....59 cars in total!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9217 on: January 12, 2009, 10:47:39 am »
Thank you all for your good luck wishes.  :-*

Still no hot water. I called the Hubert the plumber today. Not to be mixed with Joe, because Hubert actually does have a license ;). But license or no, he said he couldn't help either. My husband already tried to thaw the pipes with a hair dryer, and that's what the plumber said. No luck yet, but he'll try again later.
We'll have to go to my sister-in-law later today for a shower. Funny times ;D.

At least there's still cold water and the heating continues to work. I can live without hot water from the tap, we have an electric kettle and a stove after all.

As long as it doesn't get worse, we're fine.

Offline optom3

« Reply #9218 on: January 12, 2009, 11:07:53 am »
Good morning all.

Meryl I just loved your description of your night out, it was so vivid I could see it in my mind.

Chrissi here's hoping you get some hot water soon and that it does not get any worse.

I have the kids off school today for some reason, can't remember what.

It is warm here, but it is also very, very grey. I really hate days like this. It is the sort of greyness that seems to pervade everything, even my mood. I would swap for less warm and some sunshine.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9219 on: January 12, 2009, 11:58:51 am »
Times like these make me glad to live in New York!  8)

I love cities in the fall and the winter. In summer cities can just blow, but I love them in the fall and the winter.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.