Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4625921 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9420 on: February 07, 2009, 12:50:22 am »
When I was in Los Angeles I went to a place that is supposed to have the best martini in the world or something like that. It was called Musso and Frank. It was between Hollyood and Vine and Hollywood and Highland. It was a VERY good martini and it was gin and it had olives. Beautiful place too. It has been there since the 30s or something like that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9421 on: February 07, 2009, 01:21:51 am »
I much prefer gin martinis. No doubt about it.

Well, that's really the classic, isn't it? A classic martini is gin and vermouth, isn't it?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #9422 on: February 07, 2009, 12:19:24 pm »

Well, that's really the classic, isn't it? A classic martini is gin and vermouth, isn't it?

Yes that definitely is the classic!!! I'm not sure how Vodka got in the picture. I think after drinking the classic nobody would ever want the vodka one. Something else I don't understand are all these drinks that are called martinis now that are made like the Appletini, etc., etc. Those really aren't martinis in my opinion.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9423 on: February 07, 2009, 12:25:11 pm »
Yes that definitely is the classic!!! I'm not sure how Vodka got in the picture. I think after drinking the classic nobody would ever want the vodka one. Something else I don't understand are all these drinks that are called martinis now that are made like the Appletini, etc., etc. Those really aren't martinis in my opinion.

Tell you what, Jack, I don't drink any of that stuff--I'll stick with scotch, maybe a little Black Jack now and then--but to my way of thinking, if it isn't gin and vermouth, then it's not really a martini, regardless of what people call it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #9424 on: February 07, 2009, 12:26:58 pm »
I totally agree Jeff. It is rare that I drink martinis too, but the classic ones will hit hard all of a sudden and then if you're not careful you'll have a classic hangover the next day too  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
CONGRATS TO MERYL ON 7K POSTS!
« Reply #9425 on: February 07, 2009, 03:27:11 pm »
Congratulations to Meryl, our High Priestess, for 7,000 wonderful posts on BetterMost!! Thank you so much for sticking with us through thick and thin!!

Meryl, mulling over her next post.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9426 on: February 07, 2009, 05:48:54 pm »
Congrats, fellow co-mod Meryl, on 7K posts!

Aw, just one little smile?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9427 on: February 07, 2009, 06:45:30 pm »
I totally agree Jeff. It is rare that I drink martinis too, but the classic ones will hit hard all of a sudden and then if you're not careful you'll have a classic hangover the next day too  ;)

That's the gin, Jack. For years I drank gin and tonic, year in, year out. I usually woke up the next morning with a whale of a headache. Then--I can't even remember now why I decided to try scotch instead--but that's when I discovered that scotch doesn't give me the headache that gin did.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #9428 on: February 07, 2009, 06:47:10 pm »
That's the gin, Jack. For years I drank gin and tonic, year in, year out. I usually woke up the next morning with a whale of a headache. Then--I can't even remember now why I decided to try scotch instead--but that's when I discovered that scotch doesn't give me the headache that gin did.

You're right. Gin does give headaches. I used to drink it more frequently. Scotch is good. You are who introduced me to it.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9429 on: February 07, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »
Congrats to John/JMMGallagher on 2,000 fabulous, artful, erudite, New Yorkian posts!