Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4630069 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9610 on: March 04, 2009, 09:51:40 am »
Boneless here as well, but 18, so a wee bit warmer than you!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9611 on: March 04, 2009, 10:05:45 am »

Brrrr! It was 11 F here in Pittsburgh this morning!

But, yes, I hear things are supposed to start getting warmer this afternoon.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9612 on: March 04, 2009, 10:17:56 am »
I've been meaning to ask this for weeks. What the heck is a "boneless blue morning" anyway?

LOL.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9613 on: March 04, 2009, 11:48:16 am »
I've been meaning to ask this for weeks. What the heck is a "boneless blue morning" anyway?

LOL.

L

I don't have The Text in front of me, but surely you recognize "boneless blue" as Annie Proulx's phrasing? In this context I've always taken "boneless" to mean "cloudless," though I can't exactly say where I picked up that notion and it may predate my reading of Annie Proulx.

I know, for example, that a ship moving fast enough to create a white wave at the bow is said to have "a bone in her teeth," so I may be projecting from "bone" = "white wave" to "boneless blue (sky)" = cloudless, clear blue sky.

If I remember correctly, Annie's use occurs in her narration of the last horsepacking trip in May 1983.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #9614 on: March 04, 2009, 04:50:53 pm »
Hey cowboys and cowgirls...here's something to add to your wishlist...boot purses!

http://www.artofarizona.com/bootpurse.htm

Made from genuine cowboy boots!

Flipping cold here in Maine this morning...4 below zero. Brrr. I'm sick of winter and ready for spring.

L

:laugh:

Where DO you find these things?

Who knows, maybe they'll make their way to the western shop in Brussels.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9615 on: March 04, 2009, 06:45:43 pm »
Congratulations to all milestoners.  Isn't that something that I never questioned the phrase "boneless blue" before, just took it to mean pure and cloudless.  How does she do that with language?

I am feeling much better.  The worsening of my chickenpox seems to have stopped.  I woke up in the middle of the night last night and was very confused for a moment - something was missing - I wasn't on fire anymore.  God bless my poor husband who has a) solo parented b) put up with a very scared and cranky me c) done it with grace.  Three cheers for Mr. Meno.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9616 on: March 04, 2009, 09:44:22 pm »
I don't have The Text in front of me, but surely you recognize "boneless blue" as Annie Proulx's phrasing? In this context I've always taken "boneless" to mean "cloudless," though I can't exactly say where I picked up that notion and it may predate my reading of Annie Proulx.

I know, for example, that a ship moving fast enough to create a white wave at the bow is said to have "a bone in her teeth," so I may be projecting from "bone" = "white wave" to "boneless blue (sky)" = cloudless, clear blue sky.

If I remember correctly, Annie's use occurs in her narration of the last horsepacking trip in May 1983.

Hi Jeff!  Yep, you're right that it's about their May 1983 trip. In my copy of Close Range, the phrase "boneless blue" appears on p. 274.  And, based on Proulx's context here, the phrase does seem to reference a cloudless sky.  This phrase comes early in the important sentence about Jack feeling like he could drown looking up into the sky.

"Ennis, weather-eyed, looked west for the heated cumulus that might come up on such a day but the boneless blue was so deep, said Jack, that he might drown looking up."

And, Ellle!  :-*  Glad you're feeling better Bud!  Chickenpox really are miserable.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9617 on: March 04, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »
Hiya Meno!  Glad to hear you're feeling so much better!

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9618 on: March 04, 2009, 10:07:39 pm »
Hi Jeff!  Yep, you're right that it's about their May 1983 trip. In my copy of Close Range, the phrase "boneless blue" appears on p. 274.  And, based on Proulx's context here, the phrase does seem to reference a cloudless sky.  This phrase comes early in the important sentence about Jack feeling like he could drown looking up into the sky.

"Ennis, weather-eyed, looked west for the heated cumulus that might come up on such a day but the boneless blue was so deep, said Jack, that he might drown looking up."

And, Ellle!  :-*  Glad you're feeling better Bud!  Chickenpox really are miserable.

Thanks, Amanda! Saved me the trouble of double-checking the reference this evening!  ;D

Elle, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, too. Sounds like Mr. Meno has real courage (grace under pressure).  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9619 on: March 05, 2009, 03:44:17 am »
Thanks Buds.  Yes, Mr. Meno must have courage to have lived with me these umpteen years.  He has done a yeoman's job this week, and still will be, for at least a couple more days.

I'm feeling much, much better.  Thanks for the support.