Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3125649 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8810 on: January 06, 2007, 02:48:19 pm »

And his ubiquitous notepads, if i recall correctly!

Ha ha, yes ubiquitous notepads!

And the baffling array of snack foods that he bought on their first day together, which we later found out were Ding Dongs and Doritos.

Now you are probably going to ask me what Ding Dongs are, right? How about this description, from the Hostess Cakes website:

Ding Dongs – enrobed with chocolate coating, with rich and majestic crème filling, you can't help but feel like royalty when you bite into one.  In fact, when they were first introduced, they were actually called King Dons in some parts of the country (and Big Wheels in some regions),

The name Ding Dong came from the chiming bells used in Hostess' first television commercials and you'll be singing a happy tune every time you polish off a package.  Nibble them slowly, like a king or queen, and savor the creamy goodness of every morsel, or bite right into that creamy center and get a mouthful of chocolate goodness.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8811 on: January 06, 2007, 03:04:01 pm »
hahaha, Ding Dongs!

over here they're called Melo Cakes (although they're also known as 'nun's nipples)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8812 on: January 06, 2007, 03:16:43 pm »
Actually, looking at that picture, Mello-cakes look like what we call Mallomars

And I found this enraptured description of them...

They're s'mores, is all they are. A little circle of graham cracker with marshmallow on it, surrounded, smothered -- no, embraced -- by a slightly brittle shell of dark, luscious chocolate. Enrobed. That's the word. The chocolate is poured over the cookie, you see. The cookie isn't dipped into the chocolate like some common thing. Therefore, says Nabisco, "Mallomars are an enrobed product." They're just s'mores, like you make at cookouts. And a Rembrandt's just a painting, like you make in kindergarten.

I can't remember the last time I ate a Mallomar. It has probably been 40 years!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8813 on: January 06, 2007, 03:19:32 pm »

And his ubiquitous notepads, if i recall correctly!

Oh, yeah - the notepads - they certainly were ubiquitous; if I remember correctly, even Ennis started using them for reminders!   :)

Ha ha, yes ubiquitous notepads!

And the baffling array of snack foods that he bought on their first day together, which we later found out were Ding Dongs and Doritos.
[/i]

Am I remembering correctly?  I think for a while - for some strange reason - Ding Dongs were called King Dons.  Does anyone else remember that?  How odd.  I wonder why. 

hahaha, Ding Dongs!

over here they're called Melo Cakes (although they're also known as 'nun's nipples)

Nun's nipples?    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It appears that Ellery's eating habits have improved somewhat - what with doctor's orders and the good, loving care of his Ennis!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8814 on: January 06, 2007, 03:20:19 pm »
this really does warrant a live discussion, Fabienne... Leslie and I are going wanting in the Beta Chat Fanfic room... just for snack food discussion!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8815 on: January 06, 2007, 03:24:52 pm »

Am I remembering correctly?  I think for a while - for some strange reason - Ding Dongs were called King Dons.  Does anyone else remember that?  How odd.  I wonder why. 

They were. See the history I posted.

I, myself, and more familiar with Ring Dings, which were produced by a competing bakery: Drake's. They also made those chocolate hot dog bun shaped things, that had cream in the middle. What were they called...?

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8816 on: January 06, 2007, 03:36:37 pm »
Just for fun, I found this in the gallery:

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8817 on: January 06, 2007, 04:08:02 pm »
They were. See the history I posted.

I, myself, and more familiar with Ring Dings, which were produced by a competing bakery: Drake's. They also made those chocolate hot dog bun shaped things, that had cream in the middle. What were they called...?

L

Ding Dongs – enrobed with chocolate coating, with rich and majestic crème filling, you can't help but feel like royalty when you bite into one.  In fact, when they were first introduced, they were actually called King Dons in some parts of the country (and Big Wheels in some regions)
i]
L

Duh!! Having eaten my share of Ding Dongs and (King Dons) when I was younger (for some reason they don't appeal to me anymore), I skipped right over the history!  So, "rich, majestic and royalty" were the reasons for such a ridiculous name.  Huh. 

Are Drakes produced all over the country or mostly on the East Coast?  I've heard of them, but I think Hostess is more predominate in the midwest.  Hostess also made (or makes) a chocolate hot-dog shaped cream in the center thing - but I can't for the life of me remember what they're called.

Just for fun, I found this in the gallery:

L

LOL!!  Oh, yeah, Dairy Queen!  The only fast-food restaurant we've seen the boys at!  I remember Ennis digging into his onion rings in the car and sharing with Ellery!   :)   

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8818 on: January 06, 2007, 08:19:40 pm »
chocolate hot-dog bun with cream filling?  DEVIL DOGS people.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8819 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:09 pm »
chocolate hot-dog bun with cream filling?  DEVIL DOGS people.

Devil dogs, of course! DOPE SLAP!!!

L