Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3107890 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6350 on: November 06, 2006, 11:14:58 am »
It was a very busy weekend, all in all, and I got a lot of good writing done, and did a lot of productive thinking as I look forward to the wrap-up of the Laramie Saga.  (Yes! it is wrapping up!)

I put some of today's thoughts in a private journal entry which you are welcome to read and comment upon if you have friended me and I included you in my Private group.  Not everyone who is on the Bettermost site, however, have friended me (it isnt necessary for posting,) so if you havent and wish to read my essay, please friend me and pm me so that I can include you in the Private group.  Or send me an email and I will send it to you via email.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/145758.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6351 on: November 06, 2006, 12:02:05 pm »

Hello everybody
you got huge discussion here about Dupree, but no wonder
after reading last 6 chapters yesterday, first thing in the morning I ran to see if situation with Jeremy took step forward (waiting impatiently).

Either Dupree will finally meet someone who pushes all his buttons (male or female) and he will go for it or maybe the reverse will happen. Who knows - some guys like a man as long as he comes across as a woman and maybe Dupree is one of these. Are there any guys in drag at the bar? None so far I think. The author will no doubt let us find out in her own good time.

I’m so curious if Louise is going to introduce new character especially for his needs  ???

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6352 on: November 06, 2006, 12:02:21 pm »
Hmmmmm ~ blame it all on me eh?? As usual  ::)

;)

:-*

Of course I blame it on you  hun, I blame everything on you lol. ;) ;) ;D :-* :-*
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:04:19 pm by souxi »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6353 on: November 06, 2006, 12:16:01 pm »

I’m so curious if Louise is going to introduce new character especially for his needs  ???

OH, that would be so exciting!

*looks at Louise*

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6354 on: November 06, 2006, 12:24:51 pm »
   Well I may be throwing cold water around by the buckets here... but here is my take on Dupree.

He is a real stand up guy who has not been traumatized, polarized, prejudiced and is not over sexed. 

This means that any relationship that he wants will have to be given the appropriate time to be nurtured and developed.  He is into girls and wants one... the problem is that he hasn't found one yet, a good one, and all the nonsense about his being gay for working at the Stallion is just a measure of the lack of worth of the girls that he
has gone with so far.
And I think you got a point in your take  TH

Comparing him to young Ennis, Ennis wasn’t ( at least I didn’t see it in the movie) that enthusiastic and desperate about Alma as Jeremy is about Janice,...

He is not prejudiced.  He doesn't have a pre-set bias about gays... and takes people for who they are, one at a time. 

He needs male friendship with guys of substance like Ellery, Ennis and Chas as a friend... and runs into problems from others who are oversexed in that he cannot conceive of a guy friend without it being sexualized. 

Jeremy may need to distance himself from the bar most largely because it cuts into time he would need for a relationship... but then... he is still trying to pay off loans and things so in that sense he has an agenda... so that any serious relationship with a good woman might have to wait till the loans are paid or are deferred. 

What he needs is some fatherly advice from any of those guys he is friends with...  Ellery is polarized on the gay issue.  Chas, well, has a couple of irons in the fire... so Ennis is his man.  Ennis is a 'straight up, no ice' type of guy... just what Jeremy understands... and is a father in his own right. 

yes, he will look for somebody he can relate with

above all I believe Dupree is sensible character enough to not “force” himself experimenting  with friend  ( whoever, but I got in mind mainly  Chas ) which could lead only to shattering of their friendship and with lack of sexual attraction only to his disappointment and more confusion.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6355 on: November 06, 2006, 12:30:23 pm »
Hello everybody
you got huge discussion here about Dupree, but no wonder
after reading last 6 chapters yesterday, first thing in the morning I ran to see if situation with Jeremy took step forward (waiting impatiently).

I already did.

Oh and I forgot to add...

muah hahahahahahaha.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:35:39 pm by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6356 on: November 06, 2006, 12:37:47 pm »
OH, that would be so exciting!

*looks at Louise*

gaze at Louise too

Thanks a lot Louise

for interesting chapters – sitting in quietness and reading LS- just what I needed after hectic week ( but happy week, my bro is visiting here; I didn’t see him   two years)

I  don’t catch problem with Esteban sr., just roughly from the story .  Do you plan to give it closer look in next parts?
Or did I miss it somewhere?

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6357 on: November 06, 2006, 12:49:28 pm »
Ok so what mischief are you up to now then young lady? (Louise) that was an evil laugh you gave there. ;) :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6358 on: November 06, 2006, 01:13:57 pm »
Howdy folks!

Another gray Monday in my neck of the woods .. a little "E&E" to warm it up for me ..  ;)

For all the lurkers out there who are enjoying the LS, de-lurk and join the fun, why don't ya?  :)

For other lurkers who have nothing but negative remarks to make, well, the pic above is for you as well.  Enjoy! I hope it gives you something new to talk about or post on your blog  (if you can take a moment from checking out this thread or compulsively refreshing Louise's LJ for updates or poring over the E&E Gallery, in search of something to 'rant' about..).  No need to thank me, just call it community service on my part!  ;D    I can't say I can blame ya for being hooked to the Laramie Saga!

Enjoy!   ;D

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6359 on: November 06, 2006, 01:29:22 pm »
Howdy folks!

Another gray Monday in my neck of the woods .. a little "E&E" to warm it up for me ..  ;)

For all the lurkers out there who are enjoying the LS, de-lurk and join the fun, why don't ya?  :)

For other lurkers who have nothing but negative remarks to make, well, the pic above is for you as well.  Enjoy! I hope it gives you something new to talk about or post on your blog  (if you can take a moment from checking out this thread or compulsively refreshing Louise's LJ for updates or poring over the E&E Gallery, in search of something to 'rant' about..).  No need to thank me, just call it community service on my part!  ;D    I can't say I can blame ya for being hooked to the Laramie Saga!

Enjoy!   ;D

OMG!!!! *THUD* :o :o :o :o :o :o :o