Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3108045 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6980 on: November 17, 2006, 10:41:11 am »
And of course, since (I think) 2002, marriages have been legal in Ontario, and British Colombia, in Canada, and again since 2004(I think) throughout the country ... as a result a the charter of rights, brought to fruition in the early 1980's, when Pierre Trudeau was still prime minister.

So, Ennis might wanna take a visit ta Church street here in Taranna (aka, Toronto, to most everyone else)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #6981 on: November 17, 2006, 10:50:36 am »
Sheriff "Yer cyber-hotty pimp" Roland you are a caution too. 8) 8)
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #6982 on: November 17, 2006, 12:03:32 pm »
Who have really engaged with the tragedy of Brokeback Mountain?

1.   Those who allowed themselves to experience the reality of Jack’s death and his disappearance from the world and felt so devastated by what this tragedy meant in human terms and by the pain of Jack’s death they needed psychological healing.

2.   Those who refuse to read Dead!Jack stories, deny the reality of Jack’s death preferring to believe that Jack somehow survived. 

3.   Those for whom the story and Ennis’ life come to a dead end with Jack’s death.

The first group can read a story about how Ennis moves on because they have allowed themselves to face up to and feel the pain of his loss and grief, as well as their own as witness to this, and try to work through it.

The second group can never read such a thing because they cannot admit that Jack is dead let alone that Ennis might also work through his grief and loss to find a new life for himself. They have no need for healing because they never grieved Jack’s death.They have no need to grieve for Ennis because Ennis never lost Jack.

The third group can never read such a thing because Ennis only exists as an individual in terms of his relationship with Jack.

Groups 2 and 3 assert that they are the upholders of Annie’s vision in writing this story. Proulx’s story was one of loss. Where is the loss? Proulx’s capacity to create vivid characterization and Ang Lee's rendering of the evolution of Ennis’ character invite us to consider how his further development might unfold after the shock of Jack’s death. Where is this development?

Groups 2 and 3 also consider that Ennis' maturing sexuality and the representation of this with his new partner as debasing his character. Every sexual permutation in the book is allowed between two relatively unsophisticated country guys if those guys happen to be Ennis and Jack. What’s cool between them suddenly becomes something tawdry between Ennis and Ellery. No mystery as to the reason why.

So we have denial on one hand and a psychological dead end on the other. What a choice!

To actually mention the fact that Jack died is bad enough. To entertain the notion that Ennis might be allowed an existence and purpose without Jack invites excommunication.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 12:47:39 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6983 on: November 17, 2006, 12:50:32 pm »
Hahaha..
I am laughing my head off here!

- Leslie -  That bow looks stunning on Ellery!!  :laugh:  Souxi can finally rest easy .. pheeewww ...  right Souxi ?!  :P ;D

- David - You've gone and done it now!  I will always think of you as the travelling vacuum-salesman with out-of-this-world suction:laugh: :laugh:  You guys are too much for me!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6984 on: November 17, 2006, 01:08:16 pm »
Hahaha..
I am laughing my head off here!

- Leslie -  That bow looks stunning on Ellery!!  :laugh:  Souxi can finally rest easy .. pheeewww ...  right Souxi ?!  :P ;D

- David - You've gone and done it now!  I will always think of you as the travelling vacuum-salesman with out-of-this-world suction:laugh: :laugh:  You guys are too much for me!

Yup, you see I just knew if I nagged enough someone would do it for me just to shut me up lol. ;D Doesnt he look lovely with it? bless him. *SIGH*

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #6985 on: November 17, 2006, 01:16:39 pm »
Who have really engaged with the tragedy of Brokeback Mountain?

1.   Those who allowed themselves to experience the reality of Jack’s death and his disappearance from the world and felt so devastated by what this tragedy meant in human terms and by the pain of Jack’s death they needed psychological healing.

2.   Those who refuse to read Dead!Jack stories, deny the reality of Jack’s death preferring to believe that Jack somehow survived. 

3.   Those for whom the story and Ennis’ life come to a dead end with Jack’s death.

I've had conversations with people in the 3) group, and some make an honest case for Ennis' getting involved with anyone else as being essentially out of character. I can respect that view, though I don't share it.

But to save my life, I never can figure out how people who wax hysterical at being reminded of the story and film's actual ending can call themselves BBM fans. It's a little like billing one's self as a Titanic fan and leaving 3/4 of the way into the movie because you don't want to see the ship sink!

Groups 2 and 3 assert that they are the upholders of Annie’s vision in writing this story. Proulx’s story was one of loss. Where is the loss? Proulx’s capacity to create vivid characterization and Ang Lee's rendering of the evolution of Ennis’ character invite us to consider how his further development might unfold after the shock of Jack’s death. Where is this development?

Groups 2 and 3 also consider that Ennis' maturing sexuality and the representation of this with his new partner as debasing his character. Every sexual permutation in the book is allowed between two relatively unsophisticated country guys if those guys happen to be Ennis and Jack. What’s cool between them suddenly becomes something tawdry between Ennis and Ellery. No mystery as to the reason why.

Yes; for some it's apparently A-OK to depict fisting, golden showers, domestic violence and murder, Ennis as a hit man, Jack as a truck stop whore, etc. but a loving, monogamous relationship between Ennis and another man after Jack is dead (yes, that did happen in the original story, people; deal with it!) -- OMG, cover my eyes, I can't look! Annie would be outraged!

There's something more than a little irrational going on here.  8)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6986 on: November 17, 2006, 01:28:12 pm »
I wrote in one of my private essays that only two weeks before writing the first chapter of "Taking Chances", I posted a statement saying I could not envision a situation in which Ennis could find another relationship after Jack's death.

However - my friendship with a man who went through the devastating loss of a lifelong love and found first comfort and then a new, full-blown love relationship with another man (in this case it was only 9 months later, but while he was still in the throes of a crippling depression over his partner's death) convinced me that my view was limited.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6987 on: November 17, 2006, 01:34:28 pm »

Yes; for some it's apparently A-OK to depict fisting, golden showers, domestic violence and murder, Ennis as a hit man, Jack as a truck stop whore, etc. but a loving, monogamous relationship between Ennis and another man after Jack is dead (yes, that did happen in the original story, people; deal with it!) -- OMG, cover my eyes, I can't look! Annie would be outraged!

There's something more than a little irrational going on here.  8)

This is so true....

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6988 on: November 17, 2006, 02:08:01 pm »
Well the weather over here is terrible. It,s pouring with rain, the wind is blowing a gale and it,s orrible, absolutly orrible. :( So what we need is some of our boys to warm us all up. ;D Do you think Louise has managed to escape from work yet??

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6989 on: November 17, 2006, 02:10:30 pm »
BTW Where is June?  Dont think I,ve seen her all day. :'( :'( :'( :'(