Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3107527 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1090 on: July 12, 2006, 08:44:46 am »
I'm one whose eyes bugged out just a bit at the new toys; but then, I've had one partner for 35 years, and I'm probably less adventurous (and experienced?) than many of your readers. Although there was a time early on when we tried quite a few tricks, I have to admit I'm getting a real education here. In the context of a loving and fulfilling relationship, just about anything goes. You have been introducing Ennis to a lot of new ideas that he has readily accepted; however, I think it would be implausible for him to feel comfortable if more new things just kept coming at him. Give him (or maybe just me!) time to adjust to one thing before introducing another -- at least a couple of chapters!

Edit: I am also brand-spanking-new to slash fiction, having discovered it after watching BBM. So I'm just a rookie here.

I did let it slip in chat the other day that the last time Ennis fished around in the toy drawer was going to be about where we stop in the toy department.  It wasn't my intent to explore all the new ways and means of getting kinky, but for Ennis to find himself with a man who enjoys a little of the wild side of life and bring out the natural dominance in Ennis's nature.  So the "more new things "that will be coming at him will be more on the relationship level than the sex toys.... I am asking about where we have got to for now, because I did get a mite concerned about the readers.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1091 on: July 12, 2006, 08:45:36 am »
Aren't you the woman who made "skinny the new sexy" Louise? Lauren doesn't have to be a dreamboat, but he is cute....I picture 5'8", brown hair, brown eyes, thin (do we have to go all the way to scrawny?).

5' 8' probably would do it.  But when I get my documents in hand I can look for what I did say about Lauren.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1092 on: July 12, 2006, 08:56:05 am »
Louise, I have really enjoyed the play between Ennis and Ellery, and you've handled it beautifully. I'm comfortable with where you've taken Ennis/me on this journey. Your fidelity to Ennis' character makes it easy to believe as he tries new things, both sexually and emotionally. You are staying true to the vision of a healing Ennis. And now he is helping Ellery heal as well. I am loving this.

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1093 on: July 12, 2006, 09:00:26 am »
Oh...you want to see my statue? Here 'tis....

Heee heee!  :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #1094 on: July 12, 2006, 09:04:24 am »
Louise! You have an avatar!
 Hehehe, didnt want to use any of the sex toys I guess!! LOL  ;D ;D - god this grinning little cowboy smilie is really weird and the laughing one! LOL

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1095 on: July 12, 2006, 09:08:46 am »
you little minx you!  doughboys are so much more sensual!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1096 on: July 12, 2006, 09:16:23 am »
I did let it slip in chat the other day that the last time Ennis fished around in the toy drawer was going to be about where we stop in the toy department.  It wasn't my intent to explore all the new ways and means of getting kinky, but for Ennis to find himself with a man who enjoys a little of the wild side of life and bring out the natural dominance in Ennis's nature.  So the "more new things "that will be coming at him will be more on the relationship level than the sex toys.... I am asking about where we have got to for now, because I did get a mite concerned about the readers.

I think all of the exploration between Ennis and Ellery has been done in a very appropriate and mutually consenting way so even though it may be fast, in one way, it hasn't been forced. The only time that Ennis seemed to think any of it was sort of weird was the buttplug and that seemed to be that Ellery was meeting some personal need that Ennis didn't fully understand--at first--but even that, by the end of the day, Ennis seemed to be accepting and comfortable with. (Ellery even acknowledged this when he said, "You might think I've gone nuts...")

Given that everything Ennis and Ellery have done, I have done (except the ping pong paddle) with my partner of 29+ years, I don't see any of it as kinky, since I don't see myself as kinky. But who knows if that is the right yardstick to be measuring against? Maybe I am way out on the fringe and I just don't realize it. I don't think, so, though. I did used to read alt.rec.sex and related newsgroups, after all, back in the day.

I do think that exploring relationships will be fun for you to write, Louise, and fun for us to read. This is one thing that Ennis has never had. I know people disagree with this view, but I believe that Jack and Ennis did not have a relationship. Yes, they were in love and yes, they got together, but a relationship entails the day-to-day and building a life. Ennis didn't have one with Alma, either, for all intents and purposes. So...exploring this with Ellery will be an interesting journey.

Typing this has made me think...those who are so adamantly opposed to movingon!Ennis fics...they seem to have a whole lot of reasons, none of which are particularly rational to me. I wonder if another might be that they don't to believe or accept that Ennis is actually capable of entering in, sustaining, and growing in a relationship? Hmmm....

L
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 09:18:34 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1097 on: July 12, 2006, 09:37:03 am »
Very good comments, Leslie, and to a great extent I agree with you.  While I do not doubt Ennis loved Jack deeply... and have tried as best I can to portray not only his love but the depth of his loss... a relationship is an entirely different animal, and it is something that occurs in a daily living situation (or at least in the course of regular contact.)  That regular contact is necessary for a relationship to develop, and for relationship dynamics to emerge.

Where I want to go with the saga is further into where it will take two men who have never had a sustained daily relationship of any depth (Ennis because of his life being so separated from Jack, and Ellery because he never found someone suitable), when they find themselves deep in love and committed to one another in a permanent way.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #1098 on: July 12, 2006, 09:41:28 am »
you little minx you!  doughboys are so much more sensual!
Heeeee!   ;D
How are you coming along with chapter 81?? It's been a while Louise  :P :-*

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1099 on: July 12, 2006, 09:53:49 am »
it's coming it's coming!  You people!  First you're behind and now you're caught up, there is no pleasin you!