Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3107710 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1140 on: July 12, 2006, 01:07:02 pm »
Louise!!! Where is the next chapter?? what's going on?? You're not napping are you?!?   :D :D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1141 on: July 12, 2006, 01:09:08 pm »
I love this story Louise, I really do. IF they ever did a sequel, I,d love to see Ennis,s face when he gets called buttercup in the bar.  BTW, I know someone asked you this, so apologies if you replied and I didnt see it, but where did you do your ahem, "research" into their, erm,"bedroom antics?" Love it. ;) ;)

thank you and welcome, Jane!  Yes, that reminds me I have to bring Lang back to raise some more ruckus with Ennis!  hehehe.

I replied very evasively to that question about the bedroom antics.  Let's just say I got all of this information straight from the source and it has all been validated under field test conditions.    ::)
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1142 on: July 12, 2006, 01:10:52 pm »
Louise!!! Where is the next chapter?? what's going on?? You're not napping are you?!?   :D :D

you won't believe what happened to me.  I was typing away finishing chapter 81 (la di da di da) and then work ended and I had to go home, and then... everything stopped, suspending me in the biggest traffic jam I have been in around here in years.  A huge accident happened up on the Autobahn near where I live and they ... closed the road.  So we were all pushed off back onto the road I started on, and it took an hour to go 8 km.

So yes I am still here, and still plugging away finishing it!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1143 on: July 12, 2006, 01:16:20 pm »
My love for those who have passed does not fade. There's room in my heart for more.
Thank you so much for saying this; I have believed this to be true all along, but having not experienced a 'major' loss, thought perhaps I was being too naive to think the same thing.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1144 on: July 12, 2006, 01:18:08 pm »
I would say that those who only appreciate the likes of Widower and look down on anything which, heaven forbid, has a bit of happiness to it (or doesn't have Ennis in purgatory for the rest of his life as a "punishment" for being a human being), need some serious medical intervention to retrieve their heads from their a$$holes.   

I'm also glad to learn that I'm not the only one who thought medical intervention might be appropriate...

(Edited to add:  I'm sorry if the intervention comment comes across as harsh.  It is an unfair comment for me to make.  However it was made in response to innuendo that because I felt Ennis could move on and love again, I was doing things like "dancing on Jack's grave" and saying "F*** Ang, f*** Annie, f*** all involved with the movie," when nothing could be further from the truth.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:59:39 pm by notBastet »
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1145 on: July 12, 2006, 01:19:37 pm »
I'm with you Lucise.  I think he makes a splendid Lauren.  Good picking!

I thought Lucise's Lauren was okay too... (I just had to envision him in a more tame outfit with a less goofy expression on his face.)

BTW-how do you pronounce Lucise?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1146 on: July 12, 2006, 01:19:51 pm »
Couldn't agree more. It's all a cover for a life of sackcloth and ashes. Only yesterday I read that anyone who thinks Ennis deserves a second chance at life should go to hell and back (with smiley icons) see page 185.

Smiley icons and a great big FUCK YOU. Charming, huh? Really a good way to stimulate intelligent discourse.

And the Titanic rationale. Let me see if I have this straight. If you want to see/read a story about a movingon!character, watch Titanic, because Rose does move on, get married, have kids. Yes, she may have betrayed her Jack by doing that, but because it is in the story, it happened, it's canon and thus, those of us who have a moving on need should fulfill that need with Titantic.

For Brokeback, no. There is no moving on for Ennis. Never, in any way, shape or form. I-yi-yi...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 01:23:36 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1147 on: July 12, 2006, 01:22:03 pm »
Regarding the possibility of Ennis moving on, I want to take a whole step further. To say that Ennis could never move on would be to diminish the love of Ennis and Jack.
Fred, I agree wholeheartedly...  (sorry everyone for the multiple/serial posting... it is just nice to read so much stuff I agree with...)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1148 on: July 12, 2006, 01:34:10 pm »
Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/71633.html  "Chapter 81:  Protector"

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1149 on: July 12, 2006, 01:37:04 pm »
Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/71633.html  "Chapter 81:  Protector"

Oooo I love the title!