Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3107509 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1450 on: July 15, 2006, 08:29:49 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong (I dont have a copy of the story anymore)  but didn't Jack go back to Sage to see Aguirre a year later just like in the movie?    Ennis was very much on his mind as he asked about him.

And for that matter, the anti-climatic way they parted sure would have left doubt in Jacks eyes as to Ennis's fealings on the matter.   Especially when the man you love just punched you out, then the last words he says t oyou are that he's still getting married.   I'm surprized that Jack didn't drive away in major tears!

Signal.  Yes, he did, you are right about that, David.  And you are right that he might have been quite discouraged from making another go of it approaching Ennis directly.  I think perhaps his return to Signal was in hopes that he would get another summer of hot sheep-ignoring in when he could re-establish his intimacy with Ennis.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1451 on: July 15, 2006, 08:30:51 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong (I dont have a copy of the story anymore)  but didn't Jack go back to Sage to see Aguirre a year later just like in the movie?    Ennis was very much on his mind as he asked about him.

And for that matter, the anti-climatic way they parted sure would have left doubt in Jacks eyes as to Ennis's fealings on the matter.   Especially when the man you love just punched you out, then the last words he says t oyou are that he's still getting married.   I'm surprized that Jack didn't drive away in major tears!

David, I am actually looking at the story and reading fast, it does not mention that Jack went back to Signal (not Sage) one year later.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Helen

« Reply #1452 on: July 15, 2006, 08:35:12 am »
and taking the short story purely on its own merits .. it is clearly Ennis that is completely in love, and it is Ennis for whom there is one man and one man only.    Ennis was Jack's first choice, but he had runner-ups.  The other element of Story!Jack that comes through much clearer is that Jack moved out of Wyoming and went rodeo chasing in Texas, not contacting Ennis until long after Ennis had given up on him.  And it led me to believe he had rodeo thrill seeking, picking up rodeo clowns, and finding a meal ticket on his mind before he had Ennis on his mind.  He didnt get in touch with Ennis again until he had had a few years of pounding the rodeo trail, while Ennis wondered what happened to him.

I agree about Ennis being Jack's No1, but there being runners up (I like that turn of phrase, Louise!).  Which is one of the reasons I can believe Story!Jack taking up with someone else and saying to his father he was bringing another bloke to the ranch.  But have a hard time thinking about Movie!Jack doing the same.  The Jack in the story comes across to me as being self-centred and boastful; not likeable at all.  Sending the postcard after four years had the impression of being something he did once all the other possibilities had dried up.  Whereas in the movie it felt like he, too, had missed Ennis desperately, and he sent the postcard eventually when he just couldn't stand the pain of being apart any longer.  And there are loads of other instances where the characters, I think, are different.

So, like Leslie said, the story and the movie are completely different entities.  And I agree with the screeplay being called the first fanfic, too.

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1453 on: July 15, 2006, 08:37:15 am »
That is my entire fiction writing career, launched in the past five months.

Whoa. Both of you ladies -- Leslie and Louise -- just astound me with your skills at examining the human condition within the constraints of our favorite story. I am humbled at your abilities to show the intricacies of emotional upheaval and relationships with our guys. Wow.

I write curriculum for a living, and I've written procedural manuals; basically, it's writing directions -- something perfect for an anal-retentive like me. And both of you have similar professional careers, it sounds like. But I could no more write convincing fiction like you than I could shear one o' those stinkin' sheep. A tip o' the hat to you, Leslie and Louise. Here's to more excellent storytelling from both of you.

Speaking of which: Louise, we're all waiting for that sex scene! What are you doing here?!

Helen

« Reply #1454 on: July 15, 2006, 08:37:27 am »
David, I am actually looking at the story and reading fast, it does not mention that Jack went back to Signal (not Sage) one year later.

L

It does - it's in the bit where they are in the motel together.

I was just reading it, and although it does say he went back, Jack doesn't mention going back to see if Ennis was there, just that he went back to see if there was work.  And Aguirre told him to more or less get lost (although he doesn't tell Ennis this bit).  If he hadn't I'm sure he would have been up there again with some bloke or other.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:39:42 am by Helen »

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #1455 on: July 15, 2006, 08:40:28 am »
Or did you mean is he going to try on a cock ring or buttplug himself?

Yes Louise that is exactly what I meant.  I,ve seen the pic gallery with all their erm "toys" in it, thats why I wondered if Ennis was going to try them out too. I know he,s experienced the vibrator but not the cock ring or the buttplug..... yet. ;) ;) ;)
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1456 on: July 15, 2006, 08:41:56 am »
Whoa. Both of you ladies -- Leslie and Louise -- just astound me with your skills at examining the human condition within the constraints of our favorite story. I am humbled at your abilities to show the intricacies of emotional upheaval and relationships with our guys. Wow.

I write curriculum for a living, and I've written procedural manuals; basically, it's writing directions -- something perfect for an anal-retentive like me. And both of you have similar professional careers, it sounds like. But I could no more write convincing fiction like you than I could shear one o' those stinkin' sheep. A tip o' the hat to you, Leslie and Louise. Here's to more excellent storytelling from both of you.

Speaking of which: Louise, we're all waiting for that sex scene! What are you doing here?!

I am resequencing chapters and writing in a weekend.  I am working on a Saturday afternoon sex scene.  Chapters 87 and 88 will be pushed to Monday and there will be intervening chapters.

Still working on resequencing.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Helen

« Reply #1457 on: July 15, 2006, 08:43:39 am »
okay okay I'm awake now.  Left with the wreckage of the weekend here.... not my weekend, but the boys' weekend.  I have the first part of Saturday written and working on... YES! The SEX SCENE.

For those who are up and about at last (it's afternoon in Europe) I will be hanging in chat while I separate those Shelayan weekend days outta ours!

Oh you know, my heart gave a tiny leap here....I thought you were talking about the drabbles....    :-\

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1458 on: July 15, 2006, 08:46:00 am »
Or did you mean is he going to try on a cock ring or buttplug himself?

Yes Louise that is exactly what I meant.  I,ve seen the pic gallery with all their erm "toys" in it, thats why I wondered if Ennis was going to try them out too. I know he,s experienced the vibrator but not the cock ring or the buttplug..... yet. ;) ;) ;)

oh. OH!!!! well I guess we're going to have to find out.  Right now I am working on Ennis being pleasured and he is having a real hard time holding still!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1459 on: July 15, 2006, 08:51:05 am »

Neat,

Thanks for those very kind words. I appreciate it!

Actually, I think Louise and I have fairly different careers. She'll fill you in on what she does (software something-or-other). I am a nurse but my career has been mostly in research and academia. I am the editor of two journals, do a lot of consulting on research and statistics. I am bored with a lot of it to be honest, right now, which is probably why the fanfic bug has bitten me so hard. Cliniically, I keep up on things (a little bit) by working at a free clinic here in Portland. I also read alot.

Leslie
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:59:17 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!