Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3107780 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2810 on: August 12, 2006, 06:08:36 am »
Great pics Lucise!

SPOLIER!
   so Dupree gets Dumped eh?       This should be interesting.  While I can understand him wanting to talk to E&E about this, it should be noted that "straight" guys will never confess to being inadequate in the sack.   Let's see how E&E handle this while trying not to hurt Dupress ego.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2811 on: August 12, 2006, 06:32:18 am »
I have to say... this is one for the record books.  Of all of the plot elements of this entire multiple-crime, multiple-suspect murder/kidnapping story, with an outstanding warrant on the man who shot Wilkes and Dupree, the only thing that concerns anyone is Dupree's sexuality!!!  Maybe in the next book I ought to give up the "CSI Laramie" aspect altogether...!

By the way, I'm up, having my breakfast (yes I know it's afternoon!), and idling in chat.  I'm still getting better from my cold you know.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2812 on: August 12, 2006, 07:05:34 am »
Good Morning /afternoon Louisev!

The CSI: Laramie saga is good too.   But I'll confess that I do find there have been a lot of plot twists and turns that leave my head spinning sometimes.  LOL

I guess I like a nice mix of things in the story line.   I do enjoy E&Es leisure time.   The time out at Wes and Ednas ranch, the interaction with other characters, etc.  The sex is great, but I wouldn't want chapter after chapter to be just that either.

Reading about Ennis being exposed to new things in a larger city would be fun too.   While I've never been to riverton, the town didn't strike me as being too big in the movie.    Now Laramie must be 10 times the size at least.

Could you imagine the look on Ennis's face as he went into a shopping mall?    LOL.
Probably would be more people in the mall than he ever saw in Riverton!   Not to mention every item under the sun.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2813 on: August 12, 2006, 07:18:16 am »
Actually, at this time, Riverton is a town of 10,000 people.  Laramie is 27,000 so it is just over 2 1/2 times the size of Riverton.  Not too much bigger so as to be a huge change for Ennis.

Now Denver... that would be a bit of a shock to ol' Ennis.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2814 on: August 12, 2006, 07:53:31 am »
Weekend update:

Belbbmfan:  Leuven, Belgium (CET=EDT+6)
Bigheart:  Bergschenhoek, Holland (CET=EDT+6)
CarolK1943:  Somewhere, Michigan (EDT)
DavidinHartford:  Hartford (duh), Connecticut (EDT)
DeeDee:  Baltimore, Maryland (EDT)
gn411:  St. Petersburg, Florida (EDT)  (what heat?)
Helen:  Somewhere, UK (UKT=EDT+5)
JennyC:  San Francisco, California (PDT=EDT-3)
Laurel:  Rocky Hill, Connecticut (EDT)
Louisev: Saarbrücken, Germany (CET=EDT+6)
LoveEmBoys:  Somewhere, Colorado (MDT=EDT-2)
Lucise:  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (MDT=EDT-2)
Magicmountain:  Sydney, Australia (Time zone?)
Mainewriter:  Portland, Maine (EDT)
Neatfreak:  Indianapolis, Indiana (EDT)
notBastet:  Somewhere, North Carolina (EDT)
Opinionista: Madrid, Spain (CET?=EDT+6)
Pastorfred:  Moscow, Idaho (PDT=EDT-3)
Quiplash:  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (CDT=EDT-1)
Ranchgal: Northern Plains of South Dakota (CDT=EDT-1)
Scudder:  Tucson, Arizona (MST=EDT-3, for now)
Tamarack: Vienna, Maine (EDT)

Anyone else want to jump on board? Post it and I'll put you on the list!

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2815 on: August 12, 2006, 08:04:43 am »
SPOILER

I'm intrigued about how much money Ellery really has. The way he's said it, I think there's a whole lot more than he's told Ennis. But yes, the whole thing with Dupree has me waiting with bated breath to hear what he has to say about it. Is Dupree going to create a bump in Ennis' relationship with Ellery? Will Ennis discover feelings for Dupree that he has to deal with? I would hate to see it; the boys have enough to handle as it is.

Well, gang, I'm off to the North Carolina mountains for a week. I'm not a frequent poster, but you may not hear from me until I return next weekend (with my weekend update, if there are new additions to the locations list). I'm gonna die a slow death if I can't my daily dose of Laramie. This is the first vacation I've actually not wanted to go on. I'm having too much fun here! I will look high and low for a WiFi hotspot in that tiny town. Wish me luck!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2816 on: August 12, 2006, 08:47:22 am »
Neat,

Have a great trip. I have had good luck finding wifi hotspots all over--let's hope you'll be lucky in your little NC town. Like you, I can't imagine being out of computer contact for a week, but as Louise can attest, I am truly addicted.

I, too, am looking forward to the conversation with Ennis, Ellery and Dupree. I hope there is no bump in the relationship b/w Ennis and Ellery b/c of or by Dupree. Louise and I talked about this. So many fics use infidelity on the part of one character as a way of testing, and in the end, strengthening the relationship. While it creates conflict and may make for a good read, I find it also gets overused as a plot device. It is also not the only way that couples mature and face challenges in their relationship. I have faith that Louise is a more creative writer and will not fall back on Ennis getting the hots for someone else--whether real or imagined.

And Neat, you win the spelling gold star award of the week with the correct spelling of BATED. Yeah!

Leslie
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 09:02:57 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2817 on: August 12, 2006, 09:01:27 am »
awww that is so sweet.

Well quick, here is a send off chapter!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/90987.html  "Chapter 60:  State's Evidence"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2818 on: August 12, 2006, 09:05:43 am »
Overused is sort of an understatement.  I am not sure I have seen any OTHER plot device used to illustrate Ennis's growing awareness of his homosexuality, or the development of conflict in an ongoing relationship with Jack in the AU world... it is sort of like the first trick out of the gate.  There is more going on with Dupree, but none of it is simple and he is a major character, and not a cheap plot trick!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2819 on: August 12, 2006, 09:07:14 am »
Neat,

Have a great trip. I have had good luck finding wifi hotspots all over--let's hope you'll be lucky in your little NC town. Like you, I can't imagine being out of computer contact for a week, but as Louise can attest, I am truly addicted.

I, too, am looking forward to the conversation with Ennis, Ellery and Dupree. I hope there is no bump in the relationship b/w Ennis and Ellery b/c of or by Dupree. Louise and I talked about this. Some many fics use infidelity on the part of one character as a way of testing, and in the end, strengthening the relationship. While it creates conflict and may make for a good read, I find it also gets overused as a plot device. It is also not the only way that couples mature and face challenges in their relationship. I have faith that Louise is a more creative writer and will not fall back on Ennis getting the hots for someone else--whether real or imagined.

And Neat, you win the spelling gold star award of the week with the correct spelling of BATED. Yeah!

Leslie

Well, I'm really hoping Dupree stays as he is: a good straight friend, other than Wes and Edna, who does not feel uncomfortable around queer men. I think it could help Ennis to overcome his fears of coming out of the closet entirely, and live openly as a gay man, realizing that not everyone has a problem with his being queer. I know he is pretty much out, but he is still somewhat afraid of the queer life. On the other hand, it'll be nice to see Ellery feeling jealous, for a change. Then Ennis could tease him too about that nice shade of bright green all over his face.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 09:51:24 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.