Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3108075 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3270 on: August 27, 2006, 02:40:35 pm »
Hello folks!

Bye folks!  Just popping in for a minute to say Hi before I log off again..:)
I am still not caught up..coz I've been busy with other things ~ cleaning my place, buying groceries..etc, etc.. ::)

Till later..!  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3271 on: August 27, 2006, 05:06:44 pm »
whoo hoo!

Ennis and Ellery is #4 in replies, and #2 in views.  Holy mackerel folks!  Do you suppose this is "Lurker's Paradise" ?

Just a warning for tomorrow. I have never had root recision surgery done.  It might not be any big deal, and it might be really bad.  This is what I have been moaning and groaning over for the past ten days or so, and I have booked off work for two days in anticipation of a rocky recovery.  So I managed to get a couple of chapters of "The Long Way Home" started off, and am still pondering the logistics of the trip up Brokeback, and there is a possibility of my not being able to write for a day or two.

So keep the fan art coming, and look for me in Chat because I may not be able to sleep much in the next couple of days, and keep your fingers crossed for me!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3272 on: August 27, 2006, 09:45:14 pm »
Louise, I know you don't need it, but
Best of Luck tomorrow!!  :)

Keep dreaming of these two.. ;)

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3273 on: August 27, 2006, 10:35:45 pm »
Louise--best of luck--please take it easy---and be well again!!
thinking of you! :)

Offline Quiplash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm Jack on the outside, Ennis on the inside.
    • as I live a few more questions
« Reply #3274 on: August 28, 2006, 01:22:10 am »
Hello Louise, hello all,

Well, as I promised, here's my first fanart for the Laramie Saga:

(I found a great shot of Heath and I got creative.  Click image to go to my Flickr page with various sizes of this photo.)

--Ryan Schultz (Quiplash).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 01:24:56 am by Quiplash »
--Quiplash.  See all my PhotoShopped Brokeback Mountain fanart creations here

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3275 on: August 28, 2006, 04:54:04 am »
folks:  my surgery is over, it's over, it's over, it's over.  Thank god amighty! it's OVER.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3276 on: August 28, 2006, 05:09:15 am »
Okay....

I just blazed through 34 NEW LJ comments, some of them ranting and poisonous and others heartfelt and courageous, and I guess there's just no reins on this one!  I am sort of mildly flattered about the firestorm of comments, and immensely impressed by the heartfelt fan response you guys have made, and I don't want you to think I am upset or angry about the commentary, because any comment is better than indifference.  One has to question the motivation of those who would read a half a million words of a story that gets them frothing-at-the-mouth angry, however.  It does seem rather contradictory.

I am mildly tempted to delete the Anons that are so negative about the story, but without locking down the configuration of my profile to prohibit anonymous comments, that is rather a useless act.  So I would like some input from you readers, because I know some of you are disturbed about the anonymous commentary and rants as well:

Should I reconfigure my LJ page to prohibit anonymous comments, or let'er rip?

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3277 on: August 28, 2006, 06:53:14 am »
Okay....

I just blazed through 34 NEW LJ comments, some of them ranting and poisonous and others heartfelt and courageous, and I guess there's just no reins on this one!  I am sort of mildly flattered about the firestorm of comments, and immensely impressed by the heartfelt fan response you guys have made, and I don't want you to think I am upset or angry about the commentary, because any comment is better than indifference.  One has to question the motivation of those who would read a half a million words of a story that gets them frothing-at-the-mouth angry, however.  It does seem rather contradictory.

I am mildly tempted to delete the Anons that are so negative about the story, but without locking down the configuration of my profile to prohibit anonymous comments, that is rather a useless act.  So I would like some input from you readers, because I know some of you are disturbed about the anonymous commentary and rants as well:

Should I reconfigure my LJ page to prohibit anonymous comments, or let'er rip?

Hey Louise,

How did the surgery go? Hopefully everything went well. I can't believe people are still ranting about the new book. Why can't they just stop reading and leave us alone? Prohibiting annon comments may not be a bad idea, actually. But I think it depends on how much the mean comments bother you. If they bother you too much, go ahead and do whatever you have to do to prohibit those comments. After all, I still think it's just one person making a lot of noise.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3278 on: August 28, 2006, 07:00:30 am »
PS. Louise, I just went to see the angry comments back at LJ, and I think it's a troll. I remember some troll back in IMDB who used to open threads wrting that Ennis killed Jack and crap like that. I'm not sure if anybody else remember it, but I think I do. So, don't waste your time with that idiot. He can easily visit this board as a guest, scan this thread for details about the chapters, and go to LJ to post nasty annon comments to piss us off.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3279 on: August 28, 2006, 07:20:07 am »
Louise,

Because it is your LJ, can't you just delete individual comments? I personally don't like doing that because is smacks of censorship, but I agree with Natali, this might be a troll. If that were the case on my LJ, I might start by deleting the comments, before making the decision to not allow anonymous comments all together.

Leslie
PS...Surgery is over and you are posting so obviously you survived in one piece. Yeah!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!