Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3107923 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3390 on: September 02, 2006, 12:56:38 pm »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/105370.html  "Chapter 13:  Squall"

still can't log in to lj....

I thought the dream sequence leading up to Ennis saying "I love you" to Jack was just masterful.  It flowed so naturally and there was nothing forced or awkward about Ennis' declaration.  I could in fact, just see/hear Jack murmuring, "I love you too," right back...

Even though it happened in his dream, it's still a milestone for Ennis I think.

This next comment has nothing to do with chapter, but is merely a response to some other lj comments.  I think Ellery encouraging Ennis to talk about Jack is natural as well... Ellery is astute/empathetic enough to sense how tortured Ennis by his past... and he wants to help him... I didn't get any weird vibes about Ellery's motivations...
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3391 on: September 02, 2006, 12:59:45 pm »
Louise, you never told us that you met Hugh... :P 8)
Milli - thanks for the cowboy hat pic!!!  Also, this one with Louise, now that is truly fantastic!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3392 on: September 02, 2006, 01:03:33 pm »
whoopsie...

"Secrets of the Soul" was chapter 14.

Duh, at least I got it right on Livejournal.

This site will be done for a while but I am working on chapter 15, so just refresh Livejournal to check for the update if you cannot get into this site.  It is 7 p.m. Central European time now and I expect the new chapter will be up by 9.

Jo,  your comments about Ennis's metamorphosis and change is spot on.  The more he moves into his new awareness, the more he can reflect back on just how difficult he had made life for both himself and Jack, and it does amaze and appall him.  And while this is heresy to many people who have had unpleasant relationships and are now single and enjoying their lives, the fact is that one learns the most about one's previous relationship errors through having a new relationship with another person.  These lessons can be learned in isolation through introspection, but only slowly.  Through the lens of another relationship, however, the lessons come thick and fast, the contrasts hit you in the face.  And this is the rocky road Ennis is now treading!

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3393 on: September 02, 2006, 01:14:38 pm »
Some thoughts upon reading chapter 14

well said, mm.  (you too, louise, regarding lessons coming thick and fast through the lens of a new relationship...)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3394 on: September 02, 2006, 01:36:22 pm »
"The Way I See It" by nB
or
[Deep] Thoughts
or
Personal Introspection and TMI

I was reflecting on E and E during my drive yesterday.  Specifically, I found myself pondering why the scenes with and about Beagle left me more emotionally gutted than the recent scenes with/about Jack.  Don't get me wrong, the Jack scenes are incredibly moving, but the Beagle scenes left me with that "puking by the side of the road feeling" more so than the recent Jack scenes.  I think it is because, to me, in his own way, Ennis did try to make it work with Jack.  Certainly he could've done better, and Jack wanted more, but Ennis did make an effort.  However, there was no effort of any kind from Beagle, just abandonment.

And that folks, is the way I see it.

=)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3395 on: September 02, 2006, 02:17:06 pm »
very good point, Kelly.  It is also painful to see Ellery's past relationship in light of his new relationship with Ennis, because the new one is so much better.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3396 on: September 02, 2006, 03:18:06 pm »
Howdy folks!  :)
Just chiming in with a lil hello..I wont be online much today but cant wait to read the last 2 chapters!
I hope everyone will be able to "cope" while the site is down for a few hours today..  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3397 on: September 02, 2006, 03:34:17 pm »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/105927.html  "Chapter 15:  Another Birthday"

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3398 on: September 02, 2006, 03:53:45 pm »
RE: Chapter 15.

Pedro?    Don't you mean Basque? 

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3399 on: September 02, 2006, 04:05:44 pm »
RE: Chapter 15.

Pedro?    Don't you mean Basque? 

Is Basque a name? I thought it referred to a person who was from basque heritage, from the Basque Country at the north of Spain.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.