Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3107646 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3780 on: September 12, 2006, 04:26:38 am »
Well, I did some snooping (ain't Google grand?) and I've been trying to find a floor plan of the one bedroom cabin/cottage/bungalow that Ellery owns.  I've tried to picture what Louise has described as far as the interior layout, but it is hard finding 1 bedroom plans that are anything but tiny.  Here are a few choices to peruse and I thought it might be fun to pick our favs.  Louise, do any of these come close to what you envisioned?

http://www.houseplans.com/plan_details.asp?id=22087&st=8

http://www.houseplans.com/plan_details.asp?id=15587&st=9

http://www.houseplans.com/plan_details.asp?id=16411&st=10

http://www.houseplans.com/plan_details.asp?id=1030&st=3

Carports could easily be added to the side of any of them.

Enjoy and I'll keep looking.  I couldn't get the actual pictures to post, so I had to list the links.  :-)

#3 comes close:  living room is entered directly from the front step, there is a short hallway that connects living room, kitchen/dining area, bathroom is next down that hall and then the bedroom which is at the end of the house.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3781 on: September 12, 2006, 04:28:05 am »
Before I turn in for the night, one more pic ..
I am keeping the promise I made on Louise's LJ, Chapter 28: Lightning Strikes Twice .. ;)

oh Lucise... oh my!!!!!  thank you so much!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3782 on: September 12, 2006, 04:36:20 am »
I’ve just read the most recent chapter, and it’s so sad. We all knew that Jack was unfaithful to Ennis, but it’s hard to see it laid out that way.

I guess in my mind I kind of hoped that Jack had been attracted to Worrell, because of his similarity to Ennis, but then couldn’t go through with it (for the same reason) and that Worrell had killed him in a fit of pique. I wanted a more noble end for him, but that's not realistic I suppose.

Now, will Ellery’s decision to keep the details from Ennis come back and bite him? Especially as Ennis has made a decision that it’s time to focus more on the present than the past.

Will Ennis visit Worrell on the QT before he dies and learn the truth?!!!!!!

Excellent writing as always Louise. Am a bit surprised by some of the virulent comments! Surely not necessary. I've been trying to post my comments on Live Journal, but having probs activating my account. Am an avid reader though.

Can’t wait for the next chapter!!!!

Karen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3783 on: September 12, 2006, 04:43:12 am »
Okay, brace yourselves.  I'm about to do the dumbest fangirliest thing a person can do.  That would be listing songs that remind us of our boys.  I hope you'll all still respect me in the morning.

oh my!  Well, it's morning here, and yes, I still respect you...!  thanks Lori!

yb

« Reply #3784 on: September 12, 2006, 04:52:45 am »
oh my!  Well, it's morning here, and yes, I still respect you...!  thanks Lori!

Something that makes you feel better, I hope.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #3785 on: September 12, 2006, 05:20:54 am »

Now, will Ellery’s decision to keep the details from Ennis come back and bite him? Especially as Ennis has made a decision that it’s time to focus more on the present than the past.

Will Ennis visit Worrell on the QT before he dies and learn the truth?!!!!!!

That is exactly my point Kazza, which is why I think it,s best if Ellery tells him the truth. If he somehow find out a few years or months later, how would he feel knowing Ellery kept it from him? Would he hate him for it? Would he understand why he kept it from him? Would he think that he had a right to know? I think he has a right to know. I know it,s awful, poor Ennis and poor Jack for having that done to him. I have to add, that I think some of the comments left on LJ were downright spiteful. Especially the one about phoning AP?  ::) ::)

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3786 on: September 12, 2006, 05:49:45 am »
I know Souxi.

I'm new to the Laramie Saga, and when I started reading it I didn't think that I'd enjoy a fic that wasn't E/J. Boy was I wrong!

The vitriolic comments are way out of line. If people don't like where the story is going then they can stop reading it. Simple I would have thought.

Louise - I hope that you don't think my post above was in any way a criticism of the storyline. I was just sad to read the reality of Jack's demise.

As I'm sure you know, you have heaps of fans here.

Karen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3787 on: September 12, 2006, 05:56:04 am »
Will Ellery tell Ennis the truth?

I think he will. So everytime Ellery has lied to Ennis--and I believe all of Ellery's lies have be of the "little white" variety--he has eventually changed his mind and told the truth. At the end of the day, I believe Ellery is an honest and principled man. However, Ellery often talks without thinking (Ennis has called him on this, recently) and says things that he later regrets--and needs to fix. I think it is also important to remember his job. He is a cop. I am not saying that cops lie but I think they will twist a situation in order to achieve a given end, knowing that some blurring of the facts may be necessary along the way. I think that as a result of his work, Ellery is used to withholding information, changing things slighty, etc., and this spills over into his personal life.

Ellery to me is a person who needs to process things but far too often he talks before he does. I think we are seeing that here. In the end, Ennis will know the truth--maybe not all the grisly details, but he'll have the facts and an understanding of Jack's death. I am quite confident of that, myself.

Leslie
MaineWriter
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:30:12 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3788 on: September 12, 2006, 06:26:20 am »
SPOILER

Louise commented that her most recent chapter hit alot of nerves and she is being yelled at. Yes, there are some very blunt comments in her LJ but rather than try to debate it there, I'll bring the conversation here with some of my thoughts.

Louise took the stance very early on that Jack was murdered. The movie/story left it ambiguous and many people choose to believe that Jack's death was an accident because certainly, being killed by an exploding tire is not as awful as being cold-bloodedly murdered by a ruthless person or persons. But in the Laramie Saga, Jack was murdered and we have known that from very early on.

Now in this latest chapter, the facts of Jack's death emerge, clearly and completely, for the first time. It is not a pretty picture. Is murder ever pretty? One person wrote "I feel he should have been given...a more dignified death." We all do. Being murdered is not a fate I would wish on anybody, even an enemy. Unfortunately, it happens, far too often.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to lose a loved one to murder. First, the uncertainty while the person is missing, which may be minutes, hours, days or longer. Then, a body is found but more uncertainty. Who did this? Why? During the trial, or in this case, a confession, the grisly details emerge. What must that be like for the survivors? I think of some of the more sensational trials that have been publicized in recent years--Laci Peterson comes to mind--and my heart just breaks for the family. I do not know how they coped with the awfulness that was the murder of their daughter.

I am sad to learn the facts of Jack's death but I have to say, I am not very surprised. I have known all along that it was violent and gruesome. Even in the movie, I believe he was murdered and if we were to learn all the details of that, I imagine it would be shocking and distressing. No matter which way you cut it, Jack, sweet and caring, a loving person, but a flawed human, like all of us, met his end at the hands of a killer. Louise has given that killer a name and told us the details of his death. Yes, it is hard to read, but don't blame Louise. Blame Worrell. He is the one who did this. Louise is only telling the story.

Leslie
MW
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3789 on: September 12, 2006, 06:28:03 am »
Will Ellery tell Ennis the truth?

I think he will. So everytime Ellery has lied to Ennis--and I believe all of Ellery's lies have be of the "little white" variety--he has eventually changed his mind and told the truth. At the end of the day, I believe Ellery is an honest and principled man. However, Ellery often talks without thinking (Ennis has called him on this, recently) and says things that he later regrets--and needs to fix. I think it is also important to remember his job. He is a cop. I am not saying that cops lie but I think they will twist a situation in order to achieve a given end, knowing that some blurring of the facts may be necessary along the way. I think that as a result of his work, Ellery is used to withholding information, changing things slighty, etc., and this spills over into his personal life.

Ellery to me is a person who needs to process things but far to often he talks before he does. I think we are seeing that here. In the end, Ennis will know the truth--maybe not all the grisly details, but he'll have the facts and an understanding of Jack's death. I am quite confident of that, myself.

Leslie
MaineWriter

When I first read last night's chapter, my reaction was: Whoa, Ennis is going to be royally pissed when he finds out Ellery concealed Worrell's confession from him. Then, when I re read the chapters before going to bed, beginning on chapter 26, I realized that Ennis might be actually expecting Ellery to conceal something from him or at least try to.

Ennis is aware that Ellery is upset about Jack, and his grieving over Jack. He knows Ellery is in a mood, and has been having nightmares about the whole ordeal and isn't telling him. So, with this information in hand, he'll be looking for any sign of bullshit when Ellery tells him about Worrell, and might not even be mad. Ellery seems to have forgotten that Worrell's confession is old news to Ennis. Ennis himself told Ellery he knew Jack had sex with Worrell when he confronted him at Wes's ranch, so ¡t  can't come as a surprise to Ennis. Hopefully, Ennis takes advantage of this situation to reassure Ellery that he loves him and isn't going anywhere.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.