Author Topic: Obama Art  (Read 145588 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Obama Art
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2009, 07:46:06 pm »

Fantastic! Wow, John, how do you unearth all these stories!? Fabulous!

In the Eye of the Needle - that's so effing crazy! Excellent!

Oh, and there is George Clooney...  :laugh:

I'm obsessed??  ::)

Meanwhile....you're gonna love  this!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=1553673n

Go!
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2009, 07:47:46 pm »

So, it looks like the image that poster artist Shepard Fairey said looked presidential, telling the Washington Post: "He is gazing off into the future, saying, 'I can guide you,' " actually showed our new president listening to George Clooney.

http://blogs.phillynews.com/inquirer/sceneonroad/2009/01/found_again_the_poster_source.html

Scene on the Road
Inquirer photographer Tom Gralish's road trips through the region

Found - Again - the Poster Source Photo

The photographer is MANNIE GARCIA, a Washington DC freelancer for the Associated Press. http://web.mac.com/manniegarcia/iWeb/mannie%20garcia/Welcome.html

Driving home from Washington after the inauguration, cruising on adrenalin from covering the historic event and then stopping two or three times for coffee, and even posting - from a rest area on I-95 - for a fourth time about this "Obama Poster Photo Source MYSTERY" and making late night cell phone calls (is it against the law while driving in Maryland?) to the Associated Press bureaus in New York and Washington and talking to editors who said they hadn't seen anything about a photo being credited as the source of the Obama poster, but promised to leave a note for the day shift, I got home and couldn't go to sleep. Whew.

So I figured I'd see how hard it could be to find the photographer a bunch of us have been looking for for a while now.

It wasn't that difficult - especially since I had at least five or six clues from others - mostly in the form of emails I received, and comments on my recent blog post and on James Danziger's The Year in Pictures.

Searching Google Images with terms - Obama 2006 - I hit a photo-illustration on only the fourth page.

That image, which used the Obama photo was found on the Extreme Mortman political blog, which took me to the original site for the Examiner.com's Yeas and Nays column:

Then, inspired by Mike Cramer of Philadelphia who located the Reuters news photo last week we all believed was the source photograph - he found it on the 20th page of his search - I kept going up into the forties. No luck.

Bored with that, I remembered the photo on the CBS site that a number of sleuths told me about had an AP credit, so I added "associated press" to my search terms. And there it was - on page nine:

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=obama+2006+%22associated+press%22&start=144&sa=N&ndsp=18

And amazingly enough, just like with Mike's initial find, this one had a Pennsylvania connection. The image was a file photo, on the pennlive.com website, with a March 2008 Harrisburg Patriot News  story about the Pennsylvania Primary.

I right-clicked on the Obama headshot, and to my surprise, downloaded a FULLSIZE, as in 24.7 Megabytes, version of the original AP file. Then, holding my breath, I opened the IPTC caption file and there it was:

The photo was made by freelance photographer Mannie Garcia who was on assignment for the AP in April of 2006, where a National Press Club news advisory alerted the media that, "Academy Award Winner George Clooney will address National Press Club on his recent visit to war-torn Darfur and will release video footage from his trip to Sudan. Clooney will be joined by U.S. Senators Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) , co-sponsors of S. 1462, The Darfur Peace and Accountability Act, and co-sponsors of amendments to increase funding
for peacekeeping operations in Sudan."

So, it looks like the image that poster artist Shepard Fairey said looked presidential, telling the Washington Post: "He is gazing off into the future, saying, 'I can guide you,' " actually showed our new president listening to George Clooney. Or, probably more likely, fellow Senator Brownback.

Here's a CBS videotape of the Press Conference.

When I wake up this morning, I'll be calling the AP in Washington, and seeing if Mannie repiled to my email.

"Camping Out"

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2009, 08:05:35 pm »

I'm obsessed??  ::)

Meanwhile....you're gonna love  this!!!

Go!

I do I do I do! Excellent!

Oh, George is so cute and sexy! And Barack, totally unknown.. , is so sexy and cute! They make a cute couple! I mean, well, you know what I mean.

So cute! Thanks for posting!
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2009, 08:25:55 pm »

So, it looks like the image that poster artist Shepard Fairey said looked presidential, telling the Washington Post: "He is gazing off into the future, saying, 'I can guide you,' " actually showed our new president listening to George Clooney.

Scene on the Road
Inquirer photographer Tom Gralish's road trips through the region

Found - Again - the Poster Source Photo

The photographer is MANNIE GARCIA, a Washington DC freelancer for the Associated Press. http://web.mac.com/manniegarcia/iWeb/mannie%20garcia/Welcome.html

Driving home from Washington after the inauguration, cruising on adrenalin from covering the historic event and then stopping two or three times for coffee, and even posting - from a rest area on I-95 - for a fourth time about this "Obama Poster Photo Source MYSTERY" and making late night cell phone calls (is it against the law while driving in Maryland?) to the Associated Press bureaus in New York and Washington and talking to editors who said they hadn't seen anything about a photo being credited as the source of the Obama poster, but promised to leave a note for the day shift, I got home and couldn't go to sleep. Whew.

So I figured I'd see how hard it could be to find the photographer a bunch of us have been looking for for a while now.

It wasn't that difficult - especially since I had at least five or six clues from others - mostly in the form of emails I received, and comments on my recent blog post and on James Danziger's The Year in Pictures.

Searching Google Images with terms - Obama 2006 - I hit a photo-illustration on only the fourth page.

That image, which used the Obama photo was found on the Extreme Mortman political blog, which took me to the original site for the Examiner.com's Yeas and Nays column:

Then, inspired by Mike Cramer of Philadelphia who located the Reuters news photo last week we all believed was the source photograph - he found it on the 20th page of his search - I kept going up into the forties. No luck.

Bored with that, I remembered the photo on the CBS site that a number of sleuths told me about had an AP credit, so I added "associated press" to my search terms. And there it was - on page nine:

And amazingly enough, just like with Mike's initial find, this one had a Pennsylvania connection. The image was a file photo, on the pennlive.com website, with a March 2008 Harrisburg Patriot News  story about the Pennsylvania Primary.

I right-clicked on the Obama headshot, and to my surprise, downloaded a FULLSIZE, as in 24.7 Megabytes, version of the original AP file. Then, holding my breath, I opened the IPTC caption file and there it was:

The photo was made by freelance photographer Mannie Garcia who was on assignment for the AP in April of 2006, where a National Press Club news advisory alerted the media that, "Academy Award Winner George Clooney will address National Press Club on his recent visit to war-torn Darfur and will release video footage from his trip to Sudan. Clooney will be joined by U.S. Senators Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) , co-sponsors of S. 1462, The Darfur Peace and Accountability Act, and co-sponsors of amendments to increase funding
for peacekeeping operations in Sudan."

So, it looks like the image that poster artist Shepard Fairey said looked presidential, telling the Washington Post: "He is gazing off into the future, saying, 'I can guide you,' " actually showed our new president listening to George Clooney. Or, probably more likely, fellow Senator Brownback.

When I wake up this morning, I'll be calling the AP in Washington, and seeing if Mannie repiled to my email.

That story is quite amazing! It's like the circle is closed now. All is at its right place now and protected from stumbling. The circle is complete and can start rolling. Or something deep of that sort..

Anyway, I don't know what an IPTC caption file is, but amazing still.

Love the picture too, where George Clooney looks at Barack Obama. It's true, it's kind of looks as if people then already knew, that the young guy there would go far, and how far! It looks like George Clooney is registereing every single word Barack Obama says, as if it was the most amazing stuff! And it probably was. I like how George Clooney waggles his head regularly when he speaks and how he every now and then, slides in one of his cutest little smiles. I would have liked seeing Barack Obama's face while watching George Clooney speak.

A bit of trivia: George Clooney and Barack Obama are almost the exact same age. George is only 3 months older than Barack.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2009, 01:46:35 am »

Love the picture too, where George Clooney looks at Barack Obama. It's true, it's kind of looks as if people then already knew, that the young guy there would go far, and how far! It looks like George Clooney is registereing every single word Barack Obama says, as if it was the most amazing stuff! And it probably was. I like how George Clooney waggles his head regularly when he speaks and how he every now and then, slides in one of his cutest little smiles. I would have liked seeing Barack Obama's face while watching George Clooney speak.

Oh, George is so cute and sexy! And Barack, totally unknown.. , is so sexy and cute! They make a cute couple! I mean, well, you know what I mean.

It's quite the attractive Bromance, isn't  it?  ;D

A bit of trivia: George Clooney and Barack Obama are almost the exact same age. George is only 3 months older than Barack.

I didn't realize--thanks! I'm wondering if the Obama Family will take an Italian holiday to Lake Como? Probably not, Americans wouldn't like that, if you know what I mean.... ::)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2009, 04:07:43 pm »

by "Andy Warhol" (Gerard Malanga) 1968

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara_(photo)

(....)

[Jim] Fitzpatrick's 1966-67 graphic was later used in a 1968 painting attributed to Andy Warhol and sold to a gallery in Rome. The painting used the same graphic processes used on the acclaimed Marilyn Monroe pieces. However this painting was a forgery, created by Gerard Malanga who was in need of money. When Warhol heard of the fraud, he shrewdly authenticated the fake, providing that all the money from sales went to him.

(....)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:38:10 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2009, 06:50:24 pm »
It's quite the attractive Bromance, isn't  it?  ;D

According to Wikipedia: a bromance or a "man-crush" is a close but non-sexual relationship between two men. Coined in the 1990s, the term has historically referred to a relationship between heterosexuals, but recently the term has gained currency in describing such relationships when one of the men is gay.

- - - - - -

I didn't realize--thanks! I'm wondering if the Obama Family will take an Italian holiday to Lake Como? Probably not, Americans wouldn't like that, if you know what I mean.... ::)

No. What do you mean?  ;D

j.U.d.E.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:05:18 pm by j.U.d.E. »

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2009, 06:53:56 pm »
What do you think of this?

by "me" (2009)

j.U.d.E.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:27:50 pm by j.U.d.E. »

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2009, 07:30:01 pm »

No. What do you mean?  ;D

j.U.d.E.

Like this.  ::)

http://mediamatters.org/items/200808100001

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin reported on August 9 that "[a]fter delivering a campaign speech, Sen. Barack Obama 's first stop on his Hawaii vacation was a visit to his grandmother's Makiki apartment, where he also lived during his youth."

On the August 10 edition of ABC's This Week, ABC News political analyst Cokie Roberts criticized Sen. Barack Obama -- who was born in Hawaii -- for "going off this week to a vacation in Hawaii," which she said "does not make any sense whatsoever." Roberts stated: "I know his grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place." Roberts continued: "He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time."

(Just mentioning:

First, Obama's grandmother was dying. She died less than three months later, on the Eve of the election.

Second, Cokie Roberts's father was Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, and her mother was in the United States Congress and later, ambassador to the Vatican. Her sister was mayor of Princeton, New Jersey--yes, that Princeton. She is well known, she is worldly.  She should know better, yes?

Yes, she knows better. But Cokie and her husband, Steven Roberts, are conservative pundits. You see? Which means: No vacations for the Obama Family on Lake Como! Not possible!  ::))

Meanwhile--
I LOVE  this!

What do you think about this?

'The First,'
by Drew Friedman
cover
The New Yorker
January 26, 2009

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/toc/2009/01/26/toc_20090119

"Camping Out"

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2009, 09:23:59 pm »
Like this.  ::)

http://mediamatters.org/items/200808100001

(Just mentioning:

First, Obama's grandmother was dying. She died less than three months later, on the Eve of the election.

Second, Cokie Roberts's father was Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, and her mother was in the United States Congress and later, ambassador to the Vatican. Her sister was mayor of Princeton, New Jersey--yes, that Princeton. She is well known, she is worldly.  She should know better, yes?

Yes, she knows better. But Cokie and her husband, Steven Roberts, are conservative pundits. You see? Which means: No vacations for the Obama Family on Lake Como! Not possible!  ::))

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/toc/2009/01/26/toc_20090119

Hmm. But you know, Italy could work. It's not as exotic as Hawaii..  ;D

Why would the columnist G Will mention Putin? Beats me, because since May, Russia's president is Medvedev. Putin is now 'merely' the Prime Minister.

What do you think about this?

'The First,'
by Drew Friedman
cover
The New Yorker
January 26, 2009

Obama looks good. Always. In my opinion. But even he does not wear this wig well! :-\

j.U.d.E.